Opinions this Forum helped you to change/make

Arthur Peres

Talking for myself here, my views on Stannis really changed after reading some debates, that happened on this forum. 

Before I saw Stannis as a prick, but a man that was fighting for what I perceived as a just cause.

But then... I don't remember who was exactly pointed it out (I think it was Lord Varys) that Stannis sat on the information about the twincest and waited until Robert and Eddard to die, and only then he acted, with no more proof than he had at the start. From there my opinion on him changed a lot. His actions like the murder of Renly and the williness to sacrifice Edric became even worse and ugly, his petty rants now have a completly diferent tone on me, not just frustration, but ambition driven.

So do you guys have anything that it's similar? A opinion that this forum changed, or a topic you didn't though much, but someone helped you make a clear opinion on the situation ?

Maybe Bloodraven and those Children of the Forest aren't sweet elvish types.  Off the top of my head there have been many posters here who have been very generous with their time and attention and willingness to explain their views.  Many more than I can list here.   I wasn't a fantasy guy when all this started.  I was a mystery guy.  This wasn't an easy transition in reading and interpreting clues.  Fantasy is an entirely different read and literature takes that difference to new heights.  I've had a lot of questions over the years.    I have been fortunate to have excellent Maesters here.  

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

I was a mystery guy

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

wasn't an easy transition in reading and interpreting clues.  Fantasy is an entirely different read and literature takes that difference to new heights.

Very well put. I agree and applaud. I’ve struggled with an accurate description when asked what the books are about. Medieval family fiction with a subtle fantasy mystery. 

10 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Maybe Bloodraven and those Children of the Forest aren't sweet elvish types. 

@Megorovahelped me out here. Same

Plus I was a love struck teen when I was introduced to Dany. Still am a teen but not blinded by bias. 

Jon. Learnt more of his flaws and more of his innate talents 

Tyrion to an extent . Best example of grey character. 

15 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

So do you guys have anything that it's similar? A opinion that this forum changed, or a topic you didn't though much, but someone helped you make a clear opinion on the situation ?

It would be Rhaegar for me. I've never realised the conclusion of his acts. He's either a bag of trash or we misunderstand him. Likely both, but still. 

The forum forced me to delve in more depth when it came to certain conclusions fandom had come to. Like Rickard's southern ambitions, or Aegon being a Blackfyre for instance. I landed on the other side.

Actually, I felt challenged to by some of the posters to know my shit before I post. I still make mistakes, but I think I know my shit pretty well now.

15 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

The forum forced me to delve in more depth when it came to certain conclusions fandom had come to. Like Rickard's southern ambitions, or Aegon being a Blackfyre for instance. I landed on the other side.

Actually, I felt challenged to by some of the posters to know my shit before I post. I still make mistakes, but I think I know my shit pretty well now.

We all benefit from your reexaminations and knowing your shit.  

10 hours ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

I enjoy nothing more than reading someone’s viewpoint that conflicts with mine. It helps to see what I’ve missed or something I may be missing. I know almost all my thoughts are incorrect. It is the imagination shared between others that a new vision may be discovered.

While I really enjoy new and opposing ideas there have been times (such as in the topic Fitting Longclaw in Among the Swords) when very open minded people with similar ideas has positively exploded my mind to new possibility or made connections to very old possibility.  I like what George Martin himself says about the adventure: "Keep reading".  

There was a time when I liked Arya Stark.  I had her on the same list as Daenerys, Brienne, Meera, and Osha.  Strong women who take control of their lives and oppose tradition.  But Arya's insane pursuit of revenge make me queasy.  She is a turn off to me now.  A lot of criticism about Arya from the forum people are true. 

2 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

It would be Rhaegar for me. I've never realised the conclusion of his acts. He's either a bag of trash or we misunderstand him. Likely both, but still. 

Same here! Hi(gh) 5!

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

'twas @kissdbyfire who introduced me to that possibility.  

Both are MIA unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Rosetta Stone said:

There was a time when I liked Arya Stark.  I had her on the same list as Daenerys, Brienne, Meera, and Osha.  Strong women who take control of their lives and oppose tradition.  But Arya's insane pursuit of revenge make me queasy.  She is a turn off to me now.  A lot of criticism about Arya from the forum people are true. 

Good day to you too 

4 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

George Martin himself says about the adventure: "Keep reading"

So true.
After seeing what GRRM said the A-hole in me instantly thought “keep writing ya prick”. Then I immediately correct myself by thinking “I still haven’t finished reading them”.

Touché GRRM, a point scored to you sir.

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:
  4 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Same here! Hi(gh) 5!

I know right?! Like I always thought Rheagar gave the crown to Lyanna as a dick move. Because Lyanna is pretty like Brienne(horse faced. Ned looks at Margaery’s pic and says uh-uhh) That’s a mic-drop moment at a party. Not passing up your wife to flatter an ally. That’s why Brandon was restrained and not Robert.

15 minutes ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

Honest question. I’m new to forums and unaware of any others. I’d like to check them out. Is it ok to mention them here?

You could check out Reddit r/asoiaf. 

I found book fans on Twitter and Tumblr, but the where the fandom is more divided into factions on these sites.

53 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Poster Queen Cersei I (from way back) and her defense of Cersei was always on point, and gave Cersei more complexity than I had considered.

I really enjoyed the cross-over between Sansa fans and Dorne fans. I felt like I found "my people." They aren't on this forum.

I'm a little bit curious about how your opinion changed, and what was the argument that did it.  Do you mind sharing?

21 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

I'm a little bit curious about how your opinion changed, and what was the argument that did it.  Do you mind sharing?

It was mostly the argument that Cersei has a right to choose whatever man she wants, has a right to reject Robert as the father of her children. The arguments in response were like "Cersei needs to do her duty as a baby maker and wife" just enraged me and I found myself defending her.

9 hours ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

I know right?! Like I always thought Rheagar gave the crown to Lyanna as a dick move. Because Lyanna is pretty like Brienne(horse faced. Ned looks at Margaery’s pic and says uh-uhh) That’s a mic-drop moment at a party. Not passing up your wife to flatter an ally. That’s why Brandon was restrained and not Robert.

No. Brienne is unfortunately ugly on the outside but luckily beautiful on the inside. Lyanna was very beautiful, in the wild untamed flowers in loose hair way. Like Ygritte probably. The other porcelain dolls are just pretty 

Archived