Replacement kingsguard for aerys post trident

Mrstrategy

I would have named Ser Willem Darry to the Kingsgaurd, because of his known loyalty as well as his skill at arms. I would also name Oberyn Martell to replace Lewyn, as another means of attempting to keep Dorne in line. My final choice would preferably be someone from the Crownlands or Dragonstone, anywhere where Targaryen loyalty is strong.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:12 PM, Nathan Stark said:

I would have named Ser Willem Darry to the Kingsgaurd, because of his known loyalty as well as his skill at arms. I would also name Oberyn Martell to replace Lewyn, as another means of attempting to keep Dorne in line. My final choice would preferably be someone from the Crownlands or Dragonstone, anywhere where Targaryen loyalty is strong.

Good choices.  My choice would include Ser Aliser Thorne. 

Oberyn Martell is not a realistic option. At the moment he was the heir to Dorne, and Doran's health had never been good. No way he could join the KG in this situation.

Not to mention, of course, that Oberyn would never swear an oath of chastity.

3 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Oberyn Martell is not a realistic option. At the moment he was the heir to Dorne, and Doran's health had never been good. No way he could join the KG in this situation.

This is Aerys we are dealing with. He would look at all of those things you reasonably and rationally list as disqualifyers and see a good way to spitefully keep House Martell in line. Also it seems to be unclear whether or not one can refuse if the king names you to the kingsguard.

6 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I agree, but the bolden part is incorrect. Arianne was born before the trident.

Chances are not that bad that Ser Willem Darry actually was named to the KG. He was entrusted with the safety of the pregnant queen and the king's new heir, and Aerys II lost a couple of KG at the Trident.

If this was the case then we don't know it so far, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case. It would fit very well with the loyalty Ser Willem Darry showed towards the Targaryens when thing got really dire.

It is also possible that Queen Rhaella named him to the Kingsguard of her son, when she had Viserys III crowned on Dragonstone. We have to keep in mind that it was only around Daenerys' birth that things got really ugly for them - prior to that the Targaryens had a good chance to keep at least Dragonstone considering they were protected by the entire royal fleet.

I agree with people saying there's no way Oberyn would agree. Even if it was like spitting in the face of the Crown. More importantly, however, I believe that we don't actually even know where Oberyn is during the Rebellion. Since he never mentions fighting in it, I always assumed he was fucking around in Essos fighting with sellsword companies around the events since I can't imagine he would choose to miss out on a war where his uncle fought (and died) and that directly put his sister in danger should the Crown lose... which is exactly what happened. So that would cause further complications.  

I agree with Willem Derry as a good pick. I could maybe see Jon Connington getting put on the KG after being removed from being the Hand of the King since he was still incredibly loyal to the Targaryens and a skilled leader and warrior and Aerys would need that, though it is more likely if Rhaegar survived the Trident in this scenario probably... though Aerys may be able to make use of him without Rhaegar by suggesting JonCon serve him in Rhaegar's name/honor which would probably work. Then probably someone of note from The Reach since they were incredibly loyal throughout the war (I'm sure there are some skilled warriors that could have been chosen from) or someone else from Dorne to secure their loyalty, probably. Though I suppose someone like Alliser Thorne wouldn't be out of the question. 

Archived