Vaes Dothrak's Sources of Water?

aeverett

I've been looking at Vaes Dothrak on maps recently (researching and outlining a potential fanfic) and from what I can tell, the only local sources of potable water for humans, horses, and other livestock would be the Womb of the World and rain water.   I can't remember any other water bodies mentioned for the city in the main text, so I'm asking here.  Does anyone know of another water source for the city of Vaes Dothrak?  

14 hours ago, aeverett said:

I've been looking at Vaes Dothrak on maps recently (researching and outlining a potential fanfic) and from what I can tell, the only local sources of potable water for humans, horses, and other livestock would be the Womb of the World and rain water.   I can't remember any other water bodies mentioned for the city in the main text, so I'm asking here.  Does anyone know of another water source for the city of Vaes Dothrak?  

There is an underground lake. 

38 minutes ago, Damsel in Distress said:

There is an underground lake. 

Is this Canon!? Semi at least? SSM? From the horse's (GRRM) mouth? Any quotes? Any maps? 

And I'm genuinely curious. Disclaimer for Poe's Law. Misinterpretation risk 

Good question... And I love anything to do with maps.

Looking at the map of Central Essos from "Lands of Ice and Fire," we see that the lake is part of a river system that runs North to the Shivering Sea. With a river to the West and a mountain to the East, the city is probably close to a number of smaller streams running downhill to the river.

The map shows several other river systems in various parts of the Dothraki sea. And there are almost certainly more. Have a look at this image of the US.

https://cdn.digg.com/images/c8512d4d97384cecba6dfe703f71067a_5ece2a5bb1a84fc1be76de893917ae21_1_post.jpeg

Even the driest parts have rivers which are too small to be marked on most maps.

Grasses need water; the Dothraki Sea must be similarly crisscrossed by small streams and rivers. When we last saw Daenerys, she had been following one, in hopes that it would lead her to the Skahazadhan. The map suggests that she was right about that, unless Drogon carried her a really, really long way from Meereen.

Snow melt from the Mother of Mountains. Some goes into the Womb of the World, and then out to feed the meadows in broad braided rivers and swamps. 

The hills of Norvos and the snow on them is enough to feed most of the rivers that become the Rhoyne, and that Amazonian delta waters the western part of the Dothraki sea. A river that flows from the hills of Lazzahar provides the Lhazareen with water for their crops and sheep on the south side, and spreads across the southern part of the Dothraki Sea on the north side. (AGoT, Ch.61 Daenarys VII)

At Mantarys, there are rivers that leave the Sea of Sighs to feed the Savannah of the Dothraki Sea. Some streams from the Forest of Qohor water the northern part of the Dothraki sea, and the Krasajj Zasqua/ Bone Mountains that ring the Eastern side of the Dothraki Sea are snow-capped and not the same as the Dry Bones in the South. 

There is not much detail on the maps of the Dothraki Sea, especially the northeastern part of it. I guess the maester's land surveyors did not bond as well with the Dothraki as Jorah Mormont. The Dothraki have their own shamanic geography, and counter every discovery with "It is known". It would lead most skilled cartographers that rode with them to Slavers Bay, I guess.

Although I suspect Euron has sailed into the huge sound that boarders the Dothraki Sea to the east.

“Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air … I know them all ... And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues... Save me, succor me, make me wealthy … protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence.” He laughed. “Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray.”

. (AFfC, Ch.18 The Iron Captain)

Sure, it is possible to travel from Ib to Asshai via the Narrow Sea and the Summer Sea. Any sea is large enough to make a ship seem small. It is possible that Euron travelled via two of the most traded-on seas for two years, and nobody once recognised his sails. Or told of his reeving to someone who cared.

But his talk of the mulitude of gods he has seen, and the prayers of the people he has seen, and the variety of Eastern plunder he is handing out, indicate to me that Euron hasn't been near the Narrow Sea, or along any of the usual trade routes. The two posibilities that I can see that eschew the trading ports and offer a chance of meeting the Dothraki who avoid the poison water are 1/ He has been a pirate lord in the Sorrows on the Rhoyne (where he might trade plunder from all over Essos with Khal Pono), or 2/ he sailed from the Western sea to the Shivering sea, reeving wildlings and Ibbanese and Jogos Nhai, meeting Dothraki upstream of the Leviathan Sound, on his way around to Yi Ti and the far east.. 

The second option might explain why he came home- the Shivering sea has started to freeze, it became less risky to return via Asshai and Valyria than be wrecked by an iceberg or frozen in and at the mercy of the wild folk he had reeved in the summer.

Archived