Dresden Files: (Spoilers) will “Mirror Mirror” be better?

Ser Scot A Ellison

On 6/6/2021 at 11:11 PM, polishgenius said:

I'm not really sure what it is you want Butcher to have done. There was a massive battle and then the book ended. He'd have had to add a whole extra stretch of plot to deal with it, and why would he do that here instead of future books?

Make it clear in the epilogue that "the goverment will cover it up" is not going to work even outside of Chicago and that the supernatural world has indeed been revealed instead of being stuck in more or less the same limbo it has for the whole series. No need for extra pages, just rewrite what is there.

Or alternatively tone down the scale of the battle during rewrites if he really wanted the masquerade to stay intact.

Honestly, I am torn about it because I really have no interest in a lot of what is being built up to. So much of the book is built around the concept of eventually shredding the Masquerade so that it can have a big apocalyptic trilogy. However, I'm not actually here for the apocalypse. I am solely here for the low key film noir detective stories and mysteries. While I don't mind Battle Ground and Changes, I'd like them to be exceptions to the rule. The best of the Dresden Files stories are things like the investigation of Molly's horror con friends and tracking down the missing Kremmler spellbook. Jim Butcher talks about how you should write a story with a beginning, middle, and end but I'm here for the episodic.

It was one of the issues with the X-Files really as there really was no ending planned and people didn't care about the conspiracy once they realized there WAS no answer.

• 5 months later...

I have held off on Peace Talks/Battle Ground because the rest of my books were in MMPB size format.  Stopped by my local B&N the other day and checked the shelf for Butcher on a whim and found them both.  Now that they match… I can read them! :lol: 

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

I have held off on Peace Talks/Battle Ground because the rest of my books were in MMPB size format.  Stopped by my local B&N the other day and checked the shelf for Butcher on a whim and found them both.  Now that they match… I can read them! :lol: 

I enjoyed them more on my recent re-read.  I still think BG drags.

Archived