Student Samwell at the citadel?

Rondo

22 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I am so looking forward to see if Sam will be made to negotiate the more magical aspects at the Citadel. There's the weirwood at the Isle of Ravens. And I wonder if he'll be able to see what's going on at the Wall and if he'll start entering people's dreams.

If he can, then he should start with Randyll and terrorize the shit out of him. Then he can move on to the Redwyne twins.

I remember thinking about how that would work for poor Sam, maybe the poor Citadel, too.  Sam is smarter than your average bear and we know he's got good reason to be smarter than everyone in Old Town about supernatural happenings and beings.  I hope he gets a voice and musters some courage among these people.  I used to think about if Sam would end up traveling with Sarella and what her game really is.  She's a believer, too, which I find odd for a Sand Snake.  The Dornish aren't really a woowoo bunch.   His entering dreams is a mind blower.   What will he manifest as and how will he get his point across?  This is such good stuff.    We think or suspect that Quaithe uses a candle on Dany and makes herself know in the form she met Dany in, but will Sam do the same or will the GCs portray him in the true image of himself?  

Ah thanks @Alexis-something-Rose, I needed a kick in the pants.  So much really good fun stuff to imagine for Sam.  

2 hours ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Same here, Sam's arc is one of the things I'm most looking forward to in TWOW. Not thought about Sam entering people's dreams before, that would be awesome.

I'm keen to see what will come of his relationship with Alleras and Pate, especially Pate. If, as is highly likely, Pate is in fact Jaqen, then Sam may form a friendship with a faceless man. Jaqen/Pate may take a particular interest in Sam if he starts to show some of the knowledge or talents we are speculating about in this thread. They are tending the ravens together iirc, so perhaps that may be a way to impress Jaqen/Pate. Sam has been teaching the ravens to speak on the Wall, and we know the ravens (with greenseers in their skin) used to speak to relay messages in ancient days. Could Bran somehow contact Sam, or Sam teach raven/Bran to speak? 

Alleras seems important as well. She (he) was really nice to Sam and knows about the magic of the glass candle. I can see Alleras guiding Sam somewhat, he was after all told to keep some of his more fantastical news away from the ears of the archmaesters. Hopefully (s)he'll be Samwell's Jon Snow at the Citadel.  :)

Yah, @Alexis-something-Rose got my wheels spinning, too.  What will happen or maybe why would Sam of all characters, be the next to intersect with the jin of 3 wishes formerly known as Jaqen Hagar?  Who will he run into next, Sansa?  Sam's crossing paths with Starks or in this case a major player in a Stark's life is an interesting prospect.  Will this give him some future knowledge of Arya?  Will he tell Sam about Arya?  Nah.  What do you think the odds are on Sam getting a language lesson and special entrance E ticket coin?  

Alleras did receive Sam pretty well.  She doesn't sound like a jerk in the prologue.  She doesn't sound like her half sisters, mad with vengeance lust.  She's really interesting especially if she is the Sphinx Aemon spoke of.   What the heck is THAT?  Then there is the matter of Gilly and Dalla's boy's whereabouts and an eager magical maester enroute to the Dragon Queen.    Man, Wizz, I can't wait to read The Winds of Winter!  

21 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I used to think about if Sam would end up traveling with Sarella and what her game really is.  She's a believer, too, which I find odd for a Sand Snake.  The Dornish aren't really a woowoo bunch. 

There's nothing that says that Sam and Sarella won't leave Oldtown together. I mean the ironborn are about to descend on Oldtown. Pretty sure Willas and Garlan Tyrell will be seen through his POV eventually. I also think he'll figure out Sarella's secret and keep it. We know he is rather good at keeping secrets. 

About the whole Dornish not really being a "woowoo bunch", if I'm interpreting what you are saying correctly, then I would point you to Oberyn allegedly thickening the poison he used on Gregor with sorcery. That's what Qyburn tells Cersei at least.  

And not for nothing, but the Martells are the blood of the Rhoynar, who have their own tale of the LN. Add this to what Rhaegar told Elia in that vision at the HotU, scramble it really well, and you have something super interesting about his interpretation of the prophecy.

I think Sarella will come up as a very important character because of whatever knowledge Oberyn imparted her with. The whole "dragon has three heads" business that she mentions sort of blows my mind every time I read it. The only person she could have heard that from is her father. And the weapon she wields will be a hell of a lot more useful than a spear (Obara), knives (Nym), or poisons (Tyene) when the Long Night falls.

One thing of note with Sam is that the ravens and the weirwood on the Isle of Ravens represent the old gods. But the glass candle is about Valyrian sorcery. So we have that whole ice and fire thing at play here too.

4 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Sarella will protect Sam and take him under her wing.  

Or Jaqen/Pate, if he is interested in the Others and stuff, plus AryaJon north connections.. 

5 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Man, Wizz, I can't wait to read The Winds of Winter!  

When is 2050 again? 

I have an uneasy feeling Sam's days at the Citidel are numbered. That he won't be there long enough to forge a chain. I can't quite work out why, but this passage

The path divided where the statue of King Daeron the First sat astride his tall stone horse, his sword lifted toward Dorne. A seagull was perched on the Young Dragon’s head, and two more on the blade. Sam took the left fork, which ran beside the river. At the Weeping Dock, he watched two acolytes help an old man into a boat for the short voyage to the Bloody Isle. A young mother climbed in after him, a babe not much older than Gilly’s squalling in her arms. Beneath the dock, some cook’s boys waded in the shallows, gathering frogs.

(AFfC, Ch.45 Samwell V)

The bit about the boys gathering frogs, and the old man, maddonna and child with their backs to him, departing for the Bloody Isle at the Weeping dock, always makes me shiver. 

There are two ways to the Citidel, and the one along the river that the Boy King indicates with his sword is the way of death. Either Griff or the Ironborn will be heading up the Honeywine real soon now. Old Maester Aemon has already departed with Marwyn, and  I am not sure that is a good thing. And here is Sam in an old fortress right on the river.

When it comes to fortifying and defending the Isle of Ravens, Sam is probably the best qualified of its current residents to do it. Archmaester Walgrave and Marwyn's acolytes don't have his military experience. He has acquired some ravenry skills, too. I say probably because who knows what the assassin in Pate's skin knows. If Sam is his target, he might not make it through the night. Luckily, he worships the Old Gods. Maybe his brother BR will help him out when the stronghold is besieged.

Leo has a cutting wit and can say mean things, but I don't think he will get in Sam's way. Sam is a lot bigger and stronger than him, and has killed more than him, has a girlfriend, and a bow that he knows how to use, and isn't a craven like all bullies are. He is the sort of person bullies toady up to, not the sort they attack, although he doesn't realize that yet. 

From the mention of the corpse pickled in brine on the Selaesori Qhoran (ADwD, Ch.27 Tyrion VII), I am guessing Marwyn has hopped on the Cinnamon Wind, talking Maester Aemon's corpse and books, and the Wildling king and his wetnurse well away from Oldtown. I don't know how he is going to dispose them, except that Maester Aemon ended up on the Selaesori Qhoran in Volantis.

8 hours ago, Walda said:

I have an uneasy feeling Sam's days at the Citidel are numbered. That he won't be there long enough to forge a chain. I can't quite work out why, but this passage

I think it depends how long has passed between Sam's arrival at the Citadel and whatever is about to go down in Oldtown with the ironborn. If 3-4 months have passed, then it gives him enough time to have forged one link or about to pass his exam for the link. Maybe a link in history?

3-4 months also gives Marwyn enough time to reach Meereen after the battles have taken place there.

Archived