Jump to content
L'oiseau français

Small Unworthy Things, Starting with Blue Monday

Recommended Posts

Blue Monday, the third Monday in January, is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year. The day was created by a travel company to sell trips, and is based on pseudo-science, but what the heck, seems legit in the middle of a pandemic. Right?

Eta: I was tempted to say something about the orange one's small thing as the title, but enough of that idiot.

Edited by Fragile Bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just broke my second book since the start of this lockdown in a fit of rage. And all because whenever I really need it, my scanner stubbornly refuses to work and I loose hours upon hours upon hours trying to desperately plead with the damn thing to scan a single fucking page without throwing hissy fits about not seeing my computer or the book being too thick.

Edited by Toth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Referring back to my last post in the previous thread, the neighbor is having a party again. But since it’s been merely 90 minutes since the screaming, cussing, door slamming, drying-rack breaking fight sister and I had, I just don’t have the cheeks to knock in and ask for quiet. I just have accept that there’s no sleep for me this week. In fact I had a very good sleep last night. Not a lot of it, but it was good quality at least. 

When... what am I talking about :lol: If ever, sister moves out, I’ll send out apology gifts to next door, downstairs and upstairs neighbors. I suppose it’s karma, right? I spent two years bitching about not being able to sleep from college students and now I’m the one ashamed of the noise we make. Or maybe karma is not the right word, maybe it’s just humble pie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2021 at 4:45 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Why would you make that title and not make the obvious video link?! :P 

 

 

I finally decided to listen to this, thinking to myself, it's been a long time since I heard it.

Surprise, surprise.

I have never heard this piece of music before in my life. :lmao:

I guess that's why I didn't post it.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in 2005 I did some home renovations while my mom was in the hospital having surgery and then at a rehab hospital to help her with her walking. I updated the kitchen, changed one of the bathrooms, refinished the floors, changed some windows and painted everything. I got a new fridge and a new dishwasher at the time (Maytag bottom drawer and a Miele). Earlier in the year I got a new washer and dryer (Kenmore). About two years later I had to get a new stove (GE smooth top).

Everything has worked without a problem, but I've always joked that one day everything would fail at the same time. 

This morning I started to make my breakfast and saw that the temperature in the fridge was in the red zone. I got into the habit years ago of having a temperature gauge in the fridge. I opened the freezer drawer and everything was half melted. It must have started to fail sometime yesterday and I didn't know. I quickly started emptying things and throwing stuff out, since it was garbage/recycling day today. My brother had a small amount of room in his freezer so I put the most expensive stuff in there, but I threw out all the frozen veggies, homemade soups and casseroles. What a PITA. It was too warm to put stuff outside, but tonight we go into to the deep freeze so it will be too cold to put stuff outside. I think my supply of fish can be put outside for the night, because even though the individually wrapped fillets have defrosted, since they are still sealed they can be refrozen.

I've spent the day looking everywhere for a new fridge. As it happens, the January white sales are on, so the fridge I want, basically a copy of what I have now but Whirlpool instead of Maytag, is a few hundred dollars off at every major appliance seller. Unfortunately, nobody has stock. Even cheap apartment fridges aren't available. Apparently between Covid-19 and Trump's trade war with China, supplies of compressors have slowed to a trickle. Whether there's an issue in China or the Chinese are just sticking the knife in, nobody has stock for months. 

Home Depot estimates arrival for April 6. Two furniture stores won't give dates. I went to the fancy appliance store I used 15 years ago, and they had the same price everyone else does. They estimate some time in March, though stock could come in earlier. I went with them because they had great service back then and still have an excellent reputation. I asked if they had a bar fridge I could buy (they actually have loaner fridges, but they're all out, not surprisingly) and they have none in stock but the salesperson will check their other locations. A number of years ago I put windows and a door on my porch, and foolishly left it to the supplier to put in the door. The space was too wide for just a door so he put a side panel in and a 30 inch door, which is really about 29 1/2 inches because of draft seals. The store will need to take the fridge door off to get it in. I have to say at this point that my fridge choices were very limited, because fridges have become either enormous, or, if narrow, very tall. I'd have to cut the overhead cupoards shorter to get a cheaper fridge. Mine is 30 inches wide and 31 deep, 65 1/2 inches tall, 67 counting the hinge. My space is 67 inches.

A number of stores have mini-fridges for a cost from $200 for a no-name to $400 for a name brand, the 3.2 cubic foot ones. I see Home Depot has a 4.5 cubic ft. fridge for $250 and there are 15 at the local store, so I think I'll get one of those instead of the smaller one, if the sales guy doesn't come up with anything for me tomorrow. In the meantime I've put a bag of ice in the fridge to keep the condiments in there cool. And butter and eggs and veggies.

What a day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the day off work and went to the dentist for another filling.  Got home a little while ago and did some shredding.  I am making progress on my pub table which is piled with old mail and paperwork that should have been trashed long ago but had a lot of my info on it.  Shredded.  My mouth and much of my face...half of it anyway...it still numb.

I told my dentist about Malazan and he said he's going to try it.  I warned him it's a running start and it may take a bit to get into the story.  We'll see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Back in 2005 I did some home renovations while my mom was in the hospital having surgery and then at a rehab hospital to help her with her walking. I updated the kitchen, changed one of the bathrooms, refinished the floors, changed some windows and painted everything. I got a new fridge and a new dishwasher at the time (Maytag bottom drawer and a Miele). Earlier in the year I got a new washer and dryer (Kenmore). About two years later I had to get a new stove (GE smooth top).

Everything has worked without a problem, but I've always joked that one day everything would fail at the same time. 

This morning I started to make my breakfast and saw that the temperature in the fridge was in the red zone. I got into the habit years ago of having a temperature gauge in the fridge. I opened the freezer drawer and everything was half melted. It must have started to fail sometime yesterday and I didn't know. I quickly started emptying things and throwing stuff out, since it was garbage/recycling day today. My brother had a small amount of room in his freezer so I put the most expensive stuff in there, but I threw out all the frozen veggies, homemade soups and casseroles. What a PITA. It was too warm to put stuff outside, but tonight we go into to the deep freeze so it will be too cold to put stuff outside. I think my supply of fish can be put outside for the night, because even though the individually wrapped fillets have defrosted, since they are still sealed they can be refrozen.

I've spent the day looking everywhere for a new fridge. As it happens, the January white sales are on, so the fridge I want, basically a copy of what I have now but Whirlpool instead of Maytag, is a few hundred dollars off at every major appliance seller. Unfortunately, nobody has stock. Even cheap apartment fridges aren't available. Apparently between Covid-19 and Trump's trade war with China, supplies of compressors have slowed to a trickle. Whether there's an issue in China or the Chinese are just sticking the knife in, nobody has stock for months. 

Home Depot estimates arrival for April 6. Two furniture stores won't give dates. I went to the fancy appliance store I used 15 years ago, and they had the same price everyone else does. They estimate some time in March, though stock could come in earlier. I went with them because they had great service back then and still have an excellent reputation. I asked if they had a bar fridge I could buy (they actually have loaner fridges, but they're all out, not surprisingly) and they have none in stock but the salesperson will check their other locations. A number of years ago I put windows and a door on my porch, and foolishly left it to the supplier to put in the door. The space was too wide for just a door so he put a side panel in and a 30 inch door, which is really about 29 1/2 inches because of draft seals. The store will need to take the fridge door off to get it in. I have to say at this point that my fridge choices were very limited, because fridges have become either enormous, or, if narrow, very tall. I'd have to cut the overhead cupoards shorter to get a cheaper fridge. Mine is 30 inches wide and 31 deep, 65 1/2 inches tall, 67 counting the hinge. My space is 67 inches.

A number of stores have mini-fridges for a cost from $200 for a no-name to $400 for a name brand, the 3.2 cubic foot ones. I see Home Depot has a 4.5 cubic ft. fridge for $250 and there are 15 at the local store, so I think I'll get one of those instead of the smaller one, if the sales guy doesn't come up with anything for me tomorrow. In the meantime I've put a bag of ice in the fridge to keep the condiments in there cool. And butter and eggs and veggies.

What a day!

Did you not try and get an HVAC mechanic to try and repair your fridge? I suspect that it was just a motor capacitor that went. I used to work with HVAC guys a lot and even replacing a compressor is easy to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 7:42 PM, Inkdaub said:

Took the day off work and went to the dentist for another filling.  Got home a little while ago and did some shredding.  I am making progress on my pub table which is piled with old mail and paperwork that should have been trashed long ago but had a lot of my info on it.  Shredded.  My mouth and much of my face...half of it anyway...it still numb.

I told my dentist about Malazan and he said he's going to try it.  I warned him it's a running start and it may take a bit to get into the story.  We'll see what happens. 

I'm trying to work out different pronunciations of Malazan with novocaine mouth and they are all winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was talking to my mother in the phone when, completely randomly, it occurred to me that the bucket into which the water boiler is dripping at the other flat (yup, this is a thing, don’t ask) hasn’t been emptied for a month. So after we hung up I put on jeans, called a taxi and stressed about what I would find at the flat. (The water boiler is next to the door so if the bucket were to spill, it’d pour straight out into the main room onto the hardwood floorboards. That... wouldn’t be fun) By some miracle, however, the water was still a third of an inch from the rim of the bucket (about two days from starting to spill, I presume) there was not even a drop of water on the floor tiles. After I counted my blessings I emptied the bucket and placed it back onto the shelf as far from the door as possible. Although I do hope I can get a handyman to come the week after next week, and install the pipe that’d direct this dripping into the toilet tank. This was sheer utter luck and I can’t say for how thankful I am for it. 

In other news, I cooked, sister ate my cooking because she spent all her money again, and marveled at the fact how much one can save by not ordering €20-30 worth of takeout a day. No shit. 

I also cleaned and placed a grocery shopping order AND changed some lightbulbs that went out. I suppose I’ll do ANYTHING but actual items on my to do list. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I'm trying to work out different pronunciations of Malazan with novocaine mouth and they are all winners.

I don't think he ever got Malazan.  He was able to repeat 'Book of the Fallen' and 'Erikson' several times, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what is the point of the "mark forum as read button"?  I cannot imagine a situation where I would ever want to do that, but it's placement has caused me to do that very thing probably 3-5 times a year by accident.  I feel like it's like having a self destruct button for your house next to the kitchen light switch or something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

what is the point of the "mark forum as read button"?  I cannot imagine a situation where I would ever want to do that, but it's placement has caused me to do that very thing probably 3-5 times a year by accident.  I feel like it's like having a self destruct button for your house next to the kitchen light switch or something.  

Am I having Deja Vu? Did you or someone else also post something like this recently (last few months)? 

Regardless, yes, it's the worst. Especially if it happens mid-argument and you have to manually search for your last post :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Am I having Deja Vu? Did you or someone else also post something like this recently (last few months)? 

Regardless, yes, it's the worst. Especially if it happens mid-argument and you have to manually search for your last post :P

lol yep!  I bring it up every once in awhile, usually right after I click on it!

*as we speak I am installing a button on my refrigerator door handle that cranks the internal temperature up to "summer in the Sahara" levels, because hey, I also like to live dangerously.

Edited by larrytheimp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This ridiculous scene has been in my head all day - I'm going to say 'keep it real, think slow' every day before work now

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was considering starting a new thread, but I'll just vent here. Today I had an annoying experience at the grocery store. When I went to the deli there were three people in line. Normally there are three people behind the counter, two work the deli side and works the bakery side. For whatever reason there was only one person working. Normally that's a NBD event, but the lady at the front of the line was ridiculous. She was nitpicking special cookies and cupcakes and kept asking the deli worker to go back and check if there were better ones in the back (there weren't) and then asked if she'd make her special ones. This back and forth went on for several minutes. Then she wanted to sample a few products, and in between she wasted a fuckton of time with pointless small talk. In all she easily took over 10 minutes while I was there, and based on the body language of the two other women ahead of me in line, this had probably gone on for a while. In all when she was finally done the line had doubled in size with multiple shoppers clearly deciding to not even bother with it. And I'm not sure if she even bought anything. 

Fuck people who waste other people's time with this kind of behavior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was considering starting a new thread, but I'll just vent here. Today I had an annoying experience at the grocery store. When I went to the deli there were three people in line. Normally there are three people behind the counter, two work the deli side and works the bakery side. For whatever reason there was only one person working. Normally that's a NBD event, but the lady at the front of the line was ridiculous. She was nitpicking special cookies and cupcakes and kept asking the deli worker to go back and check if there were better ones in the back (there weren't) and then asked if she'd make her special ones. This back and forth went on for several minutes. Then she wanted to sample a few products, and in between she wasted a fuckton of time with pointless small talk. In all she easily took over 10 minutes while I was there, and based on the body language of the two other women ahead of me in line, this had probably gone on for a while. In all when she was finally done the line had doubled in size with multiple shoppers clearly deciding to not even bother with it. And I'm not sure if she even bought anything. 

Fuck people who waste other people's time with this kind of behavior. 

Silver lining.

At the end she could’ve bought something and paid with a check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Silver lining.

At the end she could’ve bought something and paid with a check. 

You had to fucking post that! When checking out, an elderly couple was ahead of me in line with the wife needing an electric scooter. She got it stuck in the lane, then after getting through, she started to write a fucking check. I can't in good faith be mad at that, because it's not really her fault there on every level even if it wasted a few minutes of my time, but these compounding events turned what should have been a quick run to the store and casually eating on my lunch break into me racing to my place and making a sandwich, eating it, cleaning up and leaving into a 20 minute event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...