Small Unworthy Things, Starting with Blue Monday

Fragile Bird

It seems that I have passed my probation period with success.... I suppose expectations weren’t very high or this company is quite trusting and tolerant. Or it’s all in my head and I’m fine, I just have laughably unreal standards for myself. 

My issue is really that I’m too much of a perfectionist to appreciate a learning curve. If you’re going to do anything new, you’re bound to suck at it in the beginning and that’s normal and acceptable. 

But hey, this means regular income and that’s become quite important these days so this is overall pretty good news. 

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

It seems that I have passed my probation period with success.... I suppose expectations weren’t very high or this company is quite trusting and tolerant. Or it’s all in my head and I’m fine, I just have laughably unreal standards for myself. 

My issue is really that I’m too much of a perfectionist to appreciate a learning curve. If you’re going to do anything new, you’re bound to suck at it in the beginning and that’s normal and acceptable. 

But hey, this means regular income and that’s become quite important these days so this is overall pretty good news. 

Congratulations!

These conversations we have in our heads can really confuse us! :(

Our dogs got into a box of cookies packed with sultanas yesterday afternoon at the in-laws. Emergency vet visit happened. Stomachs got emptied. Bloods taken.

Think both dogs are fine. One of them is in overnight on a drip to flush her kidneys as a precaution. The other really wasn't coping (super anxious rescue) and bit a vet, so she's home with me today being monitored. More bloods today, fingers crossed no kidney damage.

Expensive exercise.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Am I unlucky or do takeaways fuck up most orders for everyone? I would say since covid when we order more 'support local businesses and all that' at least 2/3 have arrived with some variation on what I asked for. 

I’d say you’re unlucky, but restaurants might have far more traffic, thus workload thus mistakes than here. Sister and I have ordered some type of takeout almost daily (sad but true) since covid started, and I’d say only 1 in 30 orders is problematic, maybe even lower a proportion. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’d say you’re unlucky, but restaurants might have far more traffic, thus workload thus mistakes than here. Sister and I have ordered some type of takeout almost daily (sad but true) since covid started, and I’d say only 1 in 30 orders is problematic, maybe even lower a proportion. 

The one yesterday was a mistake where they made a decision. I ordered something which they didnt have, so they sent something else similar and wrote that on the box acknowledging that they basically didnt give a shit. Didnt even call me to let me decide if I wanted to cancel my order. Then when I called to complain they just didnt answer the phone. 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The one yesterday was a mistake where they made a decision. I ordered something which they didnt have, so they sent something else similar and wrote that on the box acknowledging that they basically didnt gove a shit. Didnt even call me to let me decide if I wanted to cancel my order. Then when I called to complain they just didnt answer the phone. 

That’s really shitty. We experienced this only twice in the past... well nearly a year. One time, instead of vegan mac and cheese, sister got frilly square noodles drenched in cheese sauce, that was quite insolent. But the delivery service through which we order always reimburses for these. A positive example is when an Indian curry place called ma and asked what I preferred instead of the Dahl they didn’t have. 

17 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The one yesterday was a mistake where they made a decision. I ordered something which they didnt have, so they sent something else similar and wrote that on the box acknowledging that they basically didnt give a shit. Didnt even call me to let me decide if I wanted to cancel my order. Then when I called to complain they just didnt answer the phone. 

I hope like a true Brit you are complaining loudly to all who will listen and will of course be ordering from the same takeaway again tomorrow. ;) 

The funny habit I notice a lot with friends and family is going out for a meal and between paying and telling the server everything was lovely and getting to the car, the meal goes from 10/10 excellent service to awful we should have complained it was so disgusting. It always makes me chuckle

On 1/28/2021 at 9:19 PM, Impmk2 said:

Our dogs got into a box of cookies packed with sultanas yesterday afternoon at the in-laws. Emergency vet visit happened. Stomachs got emptied. Bloods taken.

Think both dogs are fine. One of them is in overnight on a drip to flush her kidneys as a precaution. The other really wasn't coping (super anxious rescue) and bit a vet, so she's home with me today being monitored. More bloods today, fingers crossed no kidney damage.

Expensive exercise.

Wow, this really gets taken seriously now.

When I was a kid, our black lab took bits of chocolate on occasion. One Easter, she got into a bag and ate five easter eggs (including the accompanying bars), drank two bowls of water when we came home and found what had happened, and puked. She was fine. 

8 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Wow, this really gets taken seriously now.

When I was a kid, our black lab took bits of chocolate on occasion. One Easter, she got into a bag and ate five easter eggs (including the accompanying bars), drank two bowls of water when we came home and found what had happened, and puked. She was fine. 

The vet was explaining to us the issue with sultanas and grapes is they're not really sure what the toxin / toxic dose is. Some dogs are fine with them, other dogs go into kidney failure after a relatively small amount. 

In our case the worry was they ate a pretty large quantity and weren't made to vomit for 3-4hrs after they ate them. We really didn't want to risk it so played it safe.

Spotify randomly recommended me a track that I had on my iPod back in the day and lost with that same iPod. I couldn’t recall the title or the artist for my life, even though I attempted to find it on YouTube a couple times when I was trying to recover the playlist I had on the lost device. It was the most delightful surprise. Enjoy! 

I remember listening to this on repeat on a holiday and watching the sun set over the ocean while everything smelled of humidity, coconut, sunscreen and frangipani. 

Another glorious workday has begun. All I want is to declutter my living room, brew some coffee, finish The Witcher book I’m reading, do a 30 minute workout while I listen to a podcast, place the ikea order I’ve been procrastinating for a month, run a bank errand, make arrangements for electrician, handyman and glass person appointments, cook dinner and start the next Witcher book. 

Nah, there’s no room for complaints today, since, for the first time in two months(!), the shoe cabinet we wanted to get for sister’s flat is FINALLY in stock and I ordered it at 7:30 and that made for the best morning I had since the holidays. *insert success kid meme from ten years ago* 

Does the internet need another redundant and irrelevant post about my weekend? Of course not. Does that stop me? Of course not. 

I have successfully reached the cooking “mastery” level of being able to complete the cooking of a simple dish, its consumption and the cleaning up of the kitchen all within one hour. This may not sound like a big deal to anybody above the age of 15, but it’s certainly an accomplishment for me. 

I also seem to be enjoying cooking again. So I’m spending my post lunch downtime browsing my cookbooks for more complicated (though still easy level) dishes to improve my “skills”. I really want to make lentil soup tomorrow because I have leftover tomato paste from today, and a smoked deer sausage that’s been in my fridge for potentially two years. These things last, don’t they? I’ll google it to be on the safe side.

To support these culinary adventures I’m also listening to a podcast series about nutrition. And I’m proud to say that even though I often roll my eyes at the content, I’m pushing through and remaining open to take in the information and messages for a healthier lifestyle. (I suppose after nearly ten years of wreaking havoc on my digestive system, although let’s also acknowledge that I could have done it a far worse service, the last couple years of my twenties is the final chance to turn around my eating habits in order to hopefully avoid junk food related chronic conditions in my thirties.) 

Archived