Small Unworthy Things, Starting with Blue Monday

Fragile Bird

On 4/6/2021 at 1:22 PM, RhaenysBee said:

It’s... er... snowing. Not right here, mostly in northern and eastern municipalities, but it’s kinda proof that the weather app isn’t talking nonsense when it promises snow for tomorrow.

Worth to note that it was 27C last Thursday.

It snowed a lot here a few days ago. It is all gone by now, but yes, it was like we returned to winter for a few days.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:22 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I think we misread that Mayan calendar after all, and ‘12 was actually ‘21. 

You are probably right. :dunno: 

On Thursday a long white van was at the neighbor's apartment. IIRC, there was a police squad car out back and front also. The neighbor talked to someone in some kind of blue uniform/jacket I'd never seen before (the person in the van had on the same uniform), and let them in his apartment building. On Friday, there was another long white van, camouflaged hummers, multiple squad cars, people in camouflage (which included helmets) who had big guns, multiple police officers, and many people in the unfamiliar blue uniform. Someone on a loud speaker (I believe) identified the apartment address, announced that they were the our local police department, said they had a warrant to search the home, and told the occupants to come outside with their hands up.

I tried looking out my bedroom window, which faced opposite side of where most of the police vehicles and personnel were around the buildings. There was a hummer out there (right in front of my building) and one of the camouflaged people with a gun. When I looked out my window he'd look up at me and bump his gun up too -- not directly at me, but it was unnerving anyway lol. I mostly stayed away from my window.

My roommate said the neighbor tried to sell her coke once. I guess that has something to do with all of this.

10 minutes ago, Lizard Queen said:

On Thursday a long white van was at the neighbor's apartment. IIRC, there was a police squad car out back and front also. The neighbor talked to someone in some kind of blue uniform/jacket I'd never seen before (the person in the van had on the same uniform), and let them in his apartment building. On Friday, there was another long white van, camouflaged hummers, multiple squad cars, people in camouflage (which included helmets) who had big guns, multiple police officers, and many people in the unfamiliar blue uniform. Someone on a loud speaker (I believe) identified the apartment address, announced that they were the our local police department, said they had a warrant to search the home, and told the occupants to come outside with their hands up.

I tried looking out my bedroom window, which faced opposite side of where most of the police vehicles and personnel were around the buildings. There was a hummer out there (right in front of my building) and one of the camouflaged people with a gun. When I looked out my window he'd look up at me and bump his gun up too -- not directly at me, but it was unnerving anyway lol. I mostly stayed away from my window.

My roommate said the neighbor tried to sell her coke once. I guess that has something to do with all of this.

Hopefully your getting rid of the pos as a neighbor and they are hauling him away.

Ok this is going to be a post about a completely pointless thing that I desperately want to buy but I feel like I need to explain how I found it first.

This winter I made a floor to ceiling built in entertainment center in our living room that houses our TV and most of our books and I’m really pleased with how it turned out. Originally I was going to do another, smaller built-in as well but I decided that if we ever sell the house that too much customization could work against me. However before I started either project I bought enough wood for both and now I have a decent amount of wood and I’m not sure what to build with it.

One thing I’ve been churning over a little bit is a stand-alone bookcase and I have the idea to add a little more flair than I did on the built ins with little custom bits and maybe some fancy scrollwork or something. The idea has not completely come together yet but I was thinking it’d be cool to incorporate a 3 dimensional wooden skull / or skulls somewhere in the design. I could take a stab at carving skulls out of wood but I think that would take me a really long time to get right so I started googling ‘wooden skulls’ to see if maybe I could find something and then modify it to incorporate.

that led me to: https://woodenskulls.com (obviously). And the wooden hand carved skull canes that this dude makes. These are fucking fantastic! And now I badly want one even though I have ZERO use for a cane. Obviously I’m not going to buy one to cut up for my amateur woodworking project both due to the cost of them ($400!) and the fact that it would be a shame to do that. But I am probably going to have to spend the next couple of weeks reminding myself that I don’t in fact need one.

5 minutes ago, S John said:

And now I badly want one even though I have ZERO use for a cane. Obviously I’m not going to buy one to cut up for my amateur woodworking project both due to the cost of them ($400!) and the fact that it would be a shame to do that. But I am probably going to have to spend the next couple of weeks reminding myself that I don’t in fact need one.

Not quite the same price point but I purchased a replica of the cane/wand Lucius Malfoy's character carries in the Harry Potter movies. It's 4 feet high. I too have zero use for a cane. But I have it in my umbrella stand in my entrance - which maybe sounds out of the way but its not and instead its really like a sculpture on display in my entrance. So not to talk you into purchasing your cane but something like that can always be treated as a work of art and mounted on a wall and enjoyed just for the way it looks like a sculpture. It doesn't have to be functional. Although as I joke, someday I might actually need a cane, in which case I am all set!

That's the way it worked out for my mother. For years she slowly collected Irish shillalie walking sticks out of a fondness from trips to Ireland. They would always be in the front porch in a barrel. Now she is of age where she needs those walking aides so it turned quite practical.

12 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Not quite the same price point but I purchased a replica of the cane/wand Lucius Malfoy's character carries in the Harry Potter movies. It's 4 feet high. I too have zero use for a cane. But I have it in my umbrella stand in my entrance - which maybe sounds out of the way but its not and instead its really like a sculpture on display in my entrance. So not to talk you into purchasing your cane but something like that can always be treated as a work of art and mounted on a wall and enjoyed just for the way it looks like a sculpture. It doesn't have to be functional. Although as I joke, someday I might actually need a cane, in which case I am all set!

Thanks at least I feel better about wanting a cane now! :lol: Though I can’t bring myself to buy it for that price. With a baby at home that needs diapers and day care, my wife would probably beat me with it.

Had a weird dream, which is noteworthy for me because I almost never remember my dreams. I was watching a horror film in it, and knew it was a film the entire time so I never got scared like it was a nightmare. I won't go into all the details, though I do remember most of them, since that'd be dull. But the gist is that actor/comedian Rob Corddry was playing a serial killer, and was freaking terrifying in the role. At one point he cut out his own eye so he could replace a doppleganger of himself who was missing an eye. This let him get close to his last victim in the film's climax.

I woke up thinking I created Rob Corddry's One Hour Photo, and wished that I had Hollywood connections to get it made.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:32 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Hopefully your getting rid of the pos as a neighbor and they are hauling him away.

Ha, my roommate said he once described himself as a "piece of shit". Looks like he was gone after they dropped by on Thursday (surprise!) From what I hear though, he's not allowed to come back to his apartment at least, so I'm happy about that :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, S John said:

Thanks at least I feel better about wanting a cane now! :lol: Though I can’t bring myself to buy it for that price.

I want one of those canes, too.  I have been spending money lately, though, and I'm not done yet so I'll have to revisit the cane later on in the year maybe.  I have developed the beginnings of a skull motif in my apartment and that cane would fit in nicely.  I wanted one of those skulls also but they are too expensive. 

4 hours ago, Raja said:

People actually enjoy Bill Maher :wideeyed: - I personally couldn't get past his litany of racist/ Islamophobic takes

Bill Maher the individual has been harder and harder to like and defend over the last decade or so. He still makes a lot of good points, but the good often doesn't outweigh the bad these days. That said, the format of Realtime is still better than most political shows you'll see these days.

I love Bill Maher. Funny enough I didn’t used to like him but started watching his show more often when I got HBO and now he’s one of a very few shows that I actually make an effort to keep up with. Don’t agree with him on everything but I think he ranks pretty low on the list of America’s problems and he does hit it right on the head sometimes. 

Archived