Small Unworthy Things, Starting with Blue Monday

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Dang straight.

Better listen to one of those songs right now. 

I’m now reading the book that inspired the musical.   :read:   So far so good (just a few chapters in).

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

A few days ago, I heard a report on the radio that it's been ten years since the first season of GoT. It made me feel very old. Ten years ... where did that go?

Weird coincidence- I’m about to start a rewatch tonight, see how it looks on my UltraHD TV. 

As a total pandemix indulgence, I just ordered the reissue of the G1 Transformers Protectobots set (5 Transformers that can combine into a giant robot called Defensor.)

I really wanted this when I was 7, and never managed to get any of the combiner sets.

Hopefully will arrive on a day my wife’s at work so I don’t have to explain it.

25 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Weird coincidence- I’m about to start a rewatch tonight, see how it looks on my UltraHD TV. 

As a total pandemix indulgence, I just ordered the reissue of the G1 Transformers Protectobots set (5 Transformers that can combine into a giant robot called Defensor.)

I really wanted this when I was 7, and never managed to get any of the combiner sets.

Hopefully will arrive on a day my wife’s at work so I don’t have to explain it.

Just call it forward planning for a present for your child when they’re older :P 

1 hour ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Why are hamburgers made of beef, yet ham is a type of pork?  The English language is very confusing sometimes.

Now now, don’t blame the English for this, it’s actually a reference to a dish originally made in Hamburg. Like frankfurter refers to Frankfurt and wiener refers to Vienna, or Wien.

It's been so much quieter out here since the cocaine dealer left, to the point I hardly ever hear anything outside anymore. My roommate was on vacation nearly a week until yesterday and I didn't go to bed feeling nervous even once. I honestly used to feel a little afraid when I'd go to sleep at night in here, especially while I was alone. There were always random, rough looking cars and/or people next door at the guy's apartment. I wondered if he wasn't selling drugs before my roommate told me he tried to sell her cocaine. Anyway, the roommate used to smoke (not cocaine lol) outside in her car in our alley parking lot and had had a couple of scary incidences that involved some strange person who had been out there, one of whom who knew the neighbor. So it just seemed like we had shady people coming through, some drawn in by him. I knew that had a lot to do with why I didn't feel too safe here. I hope he's gone for good.

9 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

Work email this morning reminding everyone to sign up for "commitment to racism" training.

Followed slightly later by a panicky sounding follow-up, "commitment to tackling racism."

That poor intern who screwed up the email...! I don’t suppose anybody misunderstood, but I do sympathize with the panicked correction. 

5 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

That poor intern who screwed up the email...! I don’t suppose anybody misunderstood, but I do sympathize with the panicked correction. 

Don't feel too bad, since it was my manager who sent it. No interns here.

Rant coming!

The last couple of years I’ve slowly started suffering from a condition called dry mouth. It’s one of the joys of aging and needing medications, dry mouth is often a side effect. It’s exactly what it sounds like, your mouth gets all dry and it feels terrible, and I don’t think it’s very good for the health of your mouth. 

For more than a year, probably two or three years, I’ve seen a product called Biotene being advertised as an effective remedy to combat dry mouth. I finally bought some at a pharmacy the other day, and opened it up last night. There was no written blurb inside, which surprised me, so I looked at the outside of the box, which I had glanced at when I picked it up. Basically it says spray it in your mouth. But I then read the list of ingredients, and bloody hell, it includes not one but two different kinds of parabens, methylparaben and propylparaben. FFS!

I guess I’ll return it tomorrow. I remember years ago reading that a huge number of breast cancer tumors (something over 80%, iirc) were shown to contain traces of parabens, and I have tried to eliminate anything that lists parabens from my life. The Environmental Defence Fund here in Canada specifically lists the two of them in their list of top ten things to avoid. Although another item on their list is petroleum jelly, which I do use sparingly. Fragrance is hard to avoid as well. 

Damn, it’s hard to be careful. 

This probably belongs here (?):

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/uk-pubs-research-job?utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3VNxCn6126bjLnUxKUzp_ownwOvmnKmYJhMvNDRrYMan0ERgYKBqJti50

A U.K. County Will Pay Someone $40,000 to Visit Pubs for a Year

Lincolnshire is looking for a researcher to document the history of its public houses.

Brits can take their watering holes very seriously. I was once scolded for asking how long a "pub crawl" would be. "This is a heritage walk!" our guide scoffed as he ushered us into our third pub for what was probably my fifth pint. He wasn't joking: Entire groups are dedicated to documenting and maintaining the history of British pubs—the kind of thing that happens when many of these establishments predate the entire history of America. And these positions can be very serious, including one currently hiring that pays up to $40,000 for the year.

Didn't remember a pub could be called a "watering hole" ...

I do remember from my youth that 5 pints isn't much for a Brit' on a pub crawl though...

10 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

@Fragile Bird

I use birch xylitol chewing gum( but spit)from online. It’s good for dry mouth. My number of cavities dropped. Also, during chemo, I used a micro cloth and i thought it did a better job on my teeth than the brush. I’ve tried oil pulling, fluoride, and pick flossing. All good.

Hmmm, maybe I should try oil pulling, I used to do that. A friend from India suggested it years ago.

Archived