Small Unworthy Things, Starting with Blue Monday

Fragile Bird

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hmmm, maybe I should try oil pulling, I used to do that. A friend from India suggested it years ago.

Your inbox for messages is full. Nobody can send you one. 

Today at noon I decided to pick up some takeout subs for lunch. I decided I was in no real hurry so I took a direction that is slightly longer but more scenic, better to enjoy the spring that is in the air here finally.

Probably about a mile from my place I saw a black bear. He was in front of me moving in the same direction, I was leisurely driving and slowed down to enjoy the view. He eventually crossed onto the road and headed a little further along that side and then loaped into the forest and out of sight.

I was thrilled, the bear was bigger than a cub but on the smallish side. And this time it was close enough that it was unmistakably a bear. A few years earlier I thought that I saw a bear crossing slowly in front of me but the distance was so far I've never been 100% certain it was a bear.

This time there was no mistaking he was very close and in view for a good long time. Just thrilling that they still have enough habitat and can survive here in our neck of the woods.

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Today at noon I decided to pick up some takeout subs for lunch. I decided I was in no real hurry so I took a direction that is slightly longer but more scenic, better to enjoy the spring that is in the air here finally.

Probably about a mile from my place I saw a black bear. He was in front of me moving in the same direction, I was leisurely driving and slowed down to enjoy the view. He eventually crossed onto the road and headed a little further along that side and then loaped into the forest and out of sight.

I was thrilled, the bear was bigger than a cub but on the smallish side. And this time it was close enough that it was unmistakably a bear. A few years earlier I thought that I saw a bear crossing slowly in front of me but the distance was so far I've never been 100% certain it was a bear.

This time there was no mistaking he was very close and in view for a good long time. Just thrilling that they still have enough habitat and can survive here in our neck of the woods.

I still remember being a little kid and my dad had to fire a couple of warning shots at a mother bear and her cub to get them away from our cabin. It was a family fishing lodge and it had an outdoor pool to store the fish you caught before it was time to clean and cook them and the bears stumbled upon us. As an adult I can laugh at the sight of me as a kid watching my hippie law professor father trying to load a shotgun and figure out what to do with it.

The other day I was sent a vid of two tiny mutt dogs chasing a black bear out of their people's house. back into the yard, and into the woods.  It was adorable. The bear maybe had recently wakened because it just seemed confused by everything, particularly by the kitchen within it found itself, then these two tiny barkies darting at him, around him/her.

DIYers and renovaters have probably notice the explosion of lumber costs up 300 and 400% or more in most areas.

Contributing factors have been unprecedented demand during the pandemic with restricted supply from mill shutdowns, a beetle infestation hurting Canadian supply and imports.

The demand pressure is staying strong also because of chronic under supply of housing stock as people want to buy new homes while interest rates are at record lows, but there are not enough new homes constructed to meet demand.

Experts are prognosticating these supply and demand problems are here to stay for a few years so $90 a sheet of plywood coming all summer?

Eta:

More on the bullshit lumber prices here- https://www.wsj.com/articles/record-lumber-prices-lift-sawmills-while-homeowners-do-it-yourselfers-pay-up-11620034201

18 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I hope the vegans were sustainably harvested.

I am fairly confident the vegans were harvested in an ethical manner as mention of "their own farm" was made.  Also, all the people on the website are smiling and appear to really have their shit together. 

Last night my grandmother called me and explained that she’s worried about my father. She said that he looked burdened and exhausted when he saw her on Mother’s Day and that she feels there’s something going on, but she doesn’t know what it might be. 
And I told her not to worry, because I have no knowledge of any physical health problems that he might have. He’s gets out, he’s vaccinated, he takes covid safety reasonably seriously. Yes, he looked worn out and tired when he saw her for Mother’s Day, because he was hungover after going out for first time after restaurants reopened. And the pandemic leaves its mark on all of us, everybody’s worn out and worried about the uncertainty it keeps us in. But there’s no reason she should worry about his health. And it’s not like we can do anything about what’s going on in the world and how it weighs on his shoulders. 
This is all true - in this context and wording. And I suppose now my grandmother is a bit less worried about her golden child’s well-being. I’m sorry I betrayed her trust. But it was the right thing to do. 

I suppose it’s true that real life writes the most Oscar worthy film scenes. Being an adult is tough. 

• 2 weeks later...

My new pet peeve is when a coworker who loves chitchat and/or sending text messages says things like “I always have so many things to do” or “I feel like I’ll never get caught up on my work”. 

Tomorrow is my last day at my current job. Even though I've only been there for 10 months, I'm a little emotional tonight. Part of this is of course working with these people through COVID 19, which has been particularly hard at our department given that we are a respiratory unit.

Excited about my new job, but certainly some sad boy hours tomorrow. Going to miss these people.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Tomorrow is my last day at my current job. Even though I've only been there for 10 months, I'm a little emotional tonight. Part of this is of course working with these people through COVID 19, which has been particularly hard at our department given that we are a respiratory unit.

Excited about my new job, but certainly some sad boy hours tomorrow. Going to miss these people.

Where are you off to now?

A long, long time ago (and yet I still remember the story!) a stupid guy drove on a treacherous road on a mountain in a snowstorm in Colorado and got stuck, and likely would have frozen to death, but he used his headlights to signal SOS and a passenger on an airplane (a sheriff, ironically) saw it and reported it. The story of his rescue made the news around the world. The man was so grateful when he was rescued.

Well, it turns out that he was fleeing over the treacherous mountain pass road because the bastard had shot and killed two women near the ski community of Breckenridge, Colorado. Tied their hands behind their backs, shot them and left them lying in the snow to freeze to death. One was found the next day by family members searching for her, the other was found six months later by a boy hiking in the woods.

Police worked for years to try to identify the murderer. They had carefully collected debris near the bodies (2 different sites) and had a glove and a tissue with blood on it. In the 90s they ran DNA tests on them but there was no match in their data base. Three years ago the son of one of the lead investigators who had passed away brought a file of information to a genomics company and asked if they could do anything. The company found 12,000 people who were in the genetic tree of the murderer, and the investigators started contacting some of them and asked if they would provide dna samples to try to narrow down the search. (I just saw from one story that there was a group of volunteers who worked on the case for decades, the head of the team charged the families $1 a year. I guess because it was “work” he could write off expenses)

Police have now arrested Alan Lee Phillips, who was 30 years old on the day when he picked up 2 women (at different times I think) hitchhiking, murdered them and then tried to flee using the mountain pass road. Annette Schnee was 22 and wanted to be a flight attendant. Barbara Jo Oberholzer was 29 and married with an 11 year old daughter, and had been in town celebrating a promotion with friends. They wanted to drive her home but hitchhiking was common in the ski community, where the cost of living was high and many people hitchhiked because they couldn’t afford a car. Pictures show two pretty, blonde, women.

Schnee’s 88 year old mother is still alive and grateful the murderer has been found before her death. Oberholzer’s husband is also deeply grateful.

Phillips had worked as a mechanic in a mine. After the rescue he moved to another part of the state, where he married and had a family.

Glad they caught the bastard.

Eta: the more I think about this, the more I’m disgusted by the story. The body of one of the  victims was found the next day, and then they find a local who should have, would have, known better than to try to cross a mountain pass in a snowstorm. “Oh I was drunk”, and one of the police who rescued him recognized him as a person who worked in a local mine, and so they never apparently thought of wondering why he would do such a stupid thing and connecting it to a dead woman. Oh, the excitement of a rescue!

Archived