Small Unworthy Things, Starting with Blue Monday

Fragile Bird

I went to the hair dresser for the first time since October. He cut a 4th layer into my hair - on the right side.

the left side looks all right though it’s still not what I wanted, but that’s just how it is with hairdressers. This 4th layer though - unforgivable. I feel bad for him because business sucked this year, but I don’t think I owe that much loyalty to him as to go back again. I mean come on. This is something I can’t even fix myself. I can usually fix the parts I don’t like or hide them with styling. This, I need to go to another hairdresser and pay for a cut again to get fixed.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:33 PM, larrytheimp said:

Was the Target frenzy podiatry related?

Well it was roughly in the middle between my apartment and this particular podiatrist office.  So naturally I stopped to buy some school supplies, a scale and about ten Blu Rays.  The scale is fantastic.  I have never had a scale before this one and I stand on it like fifteen times a day.  

On 6/24/2021 at 7:11 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Free Britney!

Seriously, some of the court testimony from yesterday is deeply disturbing and it's clear the conservatorship she's under has been both physically and psychologically abusive. 

If it's as abusive as it seems, why is she having such a hard time getting disentangled from this captivity?

Best quote of the week, found, oddly, in the NYer Magazine.  But it's a story covering Questlove's long project to bring a particular music festival's recording and footage to the public:

'Questlove’s “Summer of Soul” Pulses with Long-Silenced Beats
The music star’s directorial début, a documentary about the Harlem Cultural Festival of 1969, knits a wealth of unseen footage into a joyous whole."

"But history, as so often, went to the wrong gig."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/07/05/questloves-summer-of-soul-pulses-with-long-silenced-beats

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

If it's as abusive as it seems, why is she having such a hard time getting disentangled from this captivity?

My understanding is for a long time she had a court appointed lawyer, one that was working with her father. She was and still may be a cash cow (don't love that term in this context, but it's accurate) and they were banking off of her. She's been performing still for a long time since her public breakdown, and if she can manage to do shows and tours she should absolutely have control over her life.

I'm wondering just how big our new sister species may have been?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/26/dragon-man-new-human-species-is-our-closest-ancestor

“On our analyses, the Harbin group is more closely linked to Homo sapiens than the Neanderthals are – that is, Harbin shared a more recent common ancestor with us than the Neanderthals did,” co-author Chris Stringer of the Natural History Museum, London told AFP.

Given the location where the skull was found as well as the large-sized man it implies, the team believe Homo longi may have been well adapted for harsh environments and would have been able to disperse throughout Asia.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

My understanding is for a long time she had a court appointed lawyer, one that was working with her father. She was and still may be a cash cow (don't love that term in this context, but it's accurate) and they were banking off of her. She's been performing still for a long time since her public breakdown, and if she can manage to do shows and tours she should absolutely have control over her life.

It's like the tragic tale of boxers trapped in their entourage.

Even after opening up every window in the house last night at 10pm, I woke up just before 7am this morning and it was still 27c in my house. 

Been checking the clock every few minutes for local HVAC companies to open up so I can throw 4.5 to 6ish grand at a central air install. 

FML.

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Even after opening up every window in the house last night at 10pm, I woke up just before 7am this morning and it was still 27c in my house. 

Been checking the clock every few minutes for local HVAC companies to open up so I can throw 4.5 to 6ish grand at a central air install. 

FML.

I bet you didn’t see that one coming. Record high temperatures for all of Canada on the west coast? Not Windsor or Toronto?!?

You have my sympathy.

On 6/27/2021 at 1:26 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

It's like the tragic tale of boxers trapped in their entourage.

So in an article today Britney amazingly has been unaware she could petition to end the conservatorship.

How such basic knowledge could allude her is mind boggling, especially when it's information that would seem so important and crucial to oneself.

35 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So in an article today Britney amazingly has been unaware she could petition to end the conservatorship.

How such basic knowledge could allude her is mind boggling, especially when it's information that would seem so important and crucial to oneself.

That was reported on the day of the hearing. She apologized to the judge, saying she had no idea she could petition the court.

Obviously she was kept in the dark by her lawyer, who was supposed to look after her best interests but who instead apparently worked closely with her father. I saw a report on CNN where they had other lawyers involved in conservatorships, and who expressed shock at the the way she had been treated. (“Unless there are some serious facts we have not been told about”) Knowing your rights is a very basic matter the lawyer should have gone over with with Britney. The cynical pointed out he’s earned over $3M for his work so far. It’s tough to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, I think.

1 hour ago, L'oiseau français said:

I bet you didn’t see that one coming. Record high temperatures for all of Canada on the west coast? Not Windsor or Toronto?!?

You have my sympathy.

I did, but procrastinated, all area locals sold out of fans and portable AC units… 

Looks like I’m going the electric heat pump route. My furnace is ancient (45+) so two birds with the cooling capabilities.

The Miami hotel into which we've been booked by the Institute -- no maid service, no breakfast except for coffee and very sugary unhealthy pre-packaged garbage.  No maid service except to clean the rooms after guests check out and no hot breakfast is because they have no staff. 

Gee whiz. No immigrants, nobody to work these lousy jobs for such low pay.  Who would have thought?

On 6/28/2021 at 12:50 PM, L'oiseau français said:

That was reported on the day of the hearing. She apologized to the judge, saying she had no idea she could petition the court.

Obviously she was kept in the dark by her lawyer, who was supposed to look after her best interests but who instead apparently worked closely with her father. I saw a report on CNN where they had other lawyers involved in conservatorships, and who expressed shock at the the way she had been treated. (“Unless there are some serious facts we have not been told about”) Knowing your rights is a very basic matter the lawyer should have gone over with with Britney. The cynical pointed out he’s earned over $3M for his work so far. It’s tough to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, I think.

There has to be more going on than is meeting the public eye, the latest, judge shoots Britneys request to remove father down and further it seems the ruling is deeming her incapable of managing her own estate.

Wednesday’s court filing states that the court found Spears to be “substantially unable to manage his or her financial resources or to resist fraud or undue influence.”

She must've displayed something quite atrocious for a ruling to state that or there's just more going on we are not privy to. If the lawyers/conservators were truly ripping Britney off it seems the court would've ruled with different language than flat out calling her unable and incompetent?

Its very mysterious sounding on the face of it.

Apparently the company acting as co-conservator for her along with her father now wants out, and has asked the judge for permission to walk away, From the BBC:

In a court filing, the company said it had "relied on the representations" that the ongoing conservatorship was voluntary and that all parties, including Spears, had consented to its involvement.

The firm said it had heard Britney Spears's desire to terminate the conservatorship and was seeking to respect her wishes.

My guess as that they are seeing bad PR and are running for the hills.

I've got brutal writer's block, my kids are a province away at their grandparents summer home for another week, and I'm bored out of my mind. I've been a non-drinker for over 20 years and haven't touched drugs in 12 to 15, but have periodically been checking out the edibles on the website of a local cannabis store. 

Will I do it? I just might.

Archived