Small Unworthy Things, Starting with Blue Monday

Fragile Bird

A handful of interesting environmental headlines this week-

Two Tasmanian Devil births on the Aussie mainland for the first time in over a century. I remember hearing they were extinct when I was a youngster.

Also owner activists have placed climate change advocates on Exxon's board.

Also an intriguing story about how chimps will change their accents when under duress.

13 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

These types of stories tend to make me feel sad. I have to wonder how much the parents are pushing and manipulating the child for their own reasons. I suspect that she was primed and coached and assisted to the IQ score claimed. If she really does have the IQ the parents claim, then parading her this way just about guarantees her a miserable childhood. 

I doubt that an accurate measure can be made of a 2 year old child's IQ, and having them join Mensa is just meaningless. Joining Mensa is not an accomplishment or even much of a goal as Mensa is just a social club. It is about as meaningful as joining an Elvis fan club. There are zero special privileges that one gains by being a member. And yes I was a member of Mensa Canada. 

I feel a little apprehension over whether the child is happy but I just didn't feel there's enough evidence one way or the other to say for certain. I can only hope for the best for her. There's obviously something unique with her abilities at such a young age, hopefully it transcends into a good experience in whatever path forward she lands on.

So I know I'm late to the party on this, but I just found out there's a new name for my age group, having been born in 1985 - "geriatric millennial:"

The response to this is pretty funny, but I've always found the fascination with my age group - particularly giving it a name - well, fascinating.  I remember way back when it was called "the Oregon trail generation."  Then Gen Y.  I even remember "xennial."  This one seems to emphasize that people my age finally need to accept that they're getting old.

Further to my story about the Colorado murderer being caught 40 years later because of genetic testing, two states have now passed laws forbidding the searching of genetic tests to find criminals. Maryland and Montana have said it’s a privacy issue.

Where are normal flies gone? When I was a kid, we used to have regular old 5-7mm flies that you could sometimes hear buzzing around but mostly noticed them when they landed on/around you. Now they seem to be gone and every time I open a damn window I get these 1.5-2cm sized monster flies that are loud and giant and disgusting. Yuck. 

Typical scene in the life of a German history teacher:

Looking through some sources for my lessons I stumble across a reference to the Imperial German anthem used between 1871 and 1918. Obviously there was one, but for some reason the thought never occurred to me. So curious I looked it up and listened to it on Youtube. Yeah, makes sense that we don't use it anymore since the lyrics are basically "Die for your Emperor!" over and over again. I was slightly taken aback though that it was four times the length of the current day anthem. That seemed a bit jarring, so I looked it up as well and... Ah right! Of course, that's why! Yeah, I'm a forgetful idiot. XD

Though I am more amused why the second verse was gotten rid of alongside the first. What's the issue with starting your anthem with what is essentially just a ribald drinking song?

1 hour ago, Toth said:

What's the issue with starting your anthem with what is essentially just a ribald drinking song?

I don't see one. It is similar to how our anthem is too. I mean, it is not ribald, but it is basically a song to toast to friends with wine. But we only use the 7th verse, which doesn't include any reference to wine or drinking and is instead a hippy "let's just all be friends and peaceful neighbours".

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I don't see one. It is similar to how our anthem is too. I mean, it is not ribald, but it is basically a song to toast to friends with wine. But we only use the 7th verse, which doesn't include any reference to wine or drinking and is instead a hippy "let's just all be friends and peaceful neighbours".

I guess ribald was a strong choice of words, but yes it does sound exactly like it is in our case with it being a song for toasting and only one verse being used. In our case the left out second verse goes:

German women, German loyalty,
German wine and German song,
Shall retain in the world
Their old beautiful chime
And inspire us to noble deeds
During all of our life.
German wine and German song!
German wine and German song!

I was totally aware that we cut a large chunk away, but only knew of the first verse. Mentioning borders from 1841 turned out to not have been the most foresighted idea, so using the first verse makes you look like some kind of revisionist. Not to mention that its opening line "Germany, Germany above all" has been charged thanks to its use by all kinds of right-wing parties, obviously including the Nazis. Even though it was in its origin meant to put the idea of Germany above the interests of the German states, not to put Germany above other countries. It makes sense once you realize the song was made before a Germany even existed and contains a demand for a unified German country to begin with.

On a sad note, the 19-year old daughter of author Michael Lewis (Moneyball, The Blind Side, The Big Short, Liar’s Poker etc) and Tabitha Soren, was killed together with her boyfriend when their Ford Fusion hit a Freightliner truck head-on in Nevada. Police are investigating the crash - it sounds like the truck was in it’s lane and their car directly crashed into it. How sad.

57 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

That's sad.

Also, the same guy wrote Moneyball, The Blindside and The Big Short?

Never realized that, those were 3 pretty good flicks.

Michael Lewis has a long list of great books. His first was Liar’s Poker, when he worked at Salomon Brothers, a huge, aggressive brokerage firm 30 years ago.

Make. The. Alarm. Ringing. Stop.

Seriously this alarm has been going off for more than 2 hours at this point. Why has no-one shut it off yet?!

I don't even know if its a car alarm or a shop, pub, restaurant, a flat, a fire alarm. Just someone make it stop.

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Make. The. Alarm. Ringing. Stop.

Seriously this alarm has been going off for more than 2 hours at this point. Why has no-one shut it off yet?!

I don't even know if its a car alarm or a shop, pub, restaurant, a flat, a fire alarm. Just someone make it stop.

The alarm at the community centre near me kept going off during the night, so I would call either the community centre manager or the person who ran the company responsible for servicing on their mobile in the middle of the night to complain. Didnt take long for them to fix it. 

Archived