US Politics: Pardon our trespassing and those who have trespassed US

A Horse Named Stranger

Fez, re: your last post, I beg to differ, there have been a few articles in recent times like this one: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/11/military-right-wing-extremism-457861

The Pentagon is confronting a resurgence of white supremacy and other right-wing ideologies in the ranks and is scrambling to track how acute the problem has become in the Trump era.

tl; dr they know it has been rising, but they dont know how bad it has become. What you say may be true of the officer corp, but I dont know if it is for enlisted men and women. Also, not to sound elitist, but one should be able to draw a fairly straight line between the standards of education etc. the military requires for enlisting and the growth of right wing ideology in the ranks.

I think they were aware that was brewing underneath the surface (a bit like the racism in the US at large), but the Orange one has normalized it to such a degree, that Private Pyle no longer feels the need to hide it.

But right wing extremism in the military is not a problem unique to the US, just that you lot appear to have been less critical of your servicemen and women and rather idolized them as heroic figures.

10 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Fez, re: your last post, I beg to differ, there have been a few articles in recent times like this one: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/11/military-right-wing-extremism-457861

tl; dr they know it has been rising, but they dont know how bad it has become. What you say may be true of the officer corp, but I dont know if it is for enlisted men and women. Also, not to sound elitist, but one should be able to draw a fairly straight line between the standards of education etc. the military requires for enlisting and the growth of right wing ideology in the ranks.

It does sound super elitist and ignores the fact that a huge portion of military enlistments are BIPOC, uneducated, and not at all responsible for right wing ideology in the military

Thats a fair point, and a more nuanced take from someone more versed in these matters is probably appropriate. Either way, the military has a right wing problem that was exacerbated during the Trump years and no one knows how bad it is; meaning the vetting that exists is not happening the way it should.

@Ormond

To me one of the more interesting paragraphs in the Pew report linked to above is this:

About six-in-ten Democrats (62%) say Biden should try to work with Republican leaders “even it means disappointing some of his voters.” Far fewer (37%) want Biden to “stand up” to Republicans even if it’s harder to address critical issues.

Maybe it's because a high percentage of my reading of political discussions is on this thread, but I would have expected a somewhat higher % of Democrats to want Biden to "stand up" to Republicans even if it's harder to address critical issues.

I understand the impulse. "Reaching across the aisle" is generally more desirable than not. We might be underestimating the level of optimism about the state of the American political economy to even think that's possible.

After the totality of their shenanigans during the Obama and Trump administrations, The Republicans are going to have to serve up something significant and real before any "unity and healing" can happen.

Not all branches of the US military are the same politically. I saw a chart online with the split of political donations in the 2020 presidential elections. Marines were strongly pro-Trump, Army was evenly split, while Air Force and Navy were actually very slightly pro-Biden.

Then again, higher ranking officers were probably over-represented in that sample, since they have more disposable income to donate to political campaigns.

2 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Not all branches of the US military are the same politically. I saw a chart online with the split of political donations in the 2020 presidential elections. Marines were strongly pro-Trump, Army was evenly split, while Air Force and Navy were actually very slightly pro-Biden.

Then again, higher ranking officers were probably over-represented in that sample, since they have more disposable income to donate to political campaigns.

Surely the Space Force is 100% for Trump.

17 minutes ago, Gorn said:

But also remember that Republican=/=extremist in all cases; the type of Republican who in Congress votes to impeach Trump is likely to be even more commonly found in the officer corps.

I wonder if Trump gets to keep the football once it's deactivated immediately after Biden is inaugurated?

Also

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/trumps-last-day-12-national-guards-removed-from-joe-biden-inauguration-due-to-far-right-links/2VEKQYE7PPNWWWSYQGBAUVJCZU/

Twelve US Army National Guard members have been removed from the presidential inauguration security mission after they were found to have ties with right-wing militia groups or posted extremist views online, according to two US officials.

Only 12? Or is it 12 so far? further on the article says "Their removal from the massive security presence at the nation's capital comes as the FBI worked to vet all of the 25,000 National Guard troops" So it sounds like the FBI is still working on it.

I suddenly am imagining Trump running onto the Mar E Lago putting green, clutching his precious football, hammering on the buttons and shouting "I DONT HAVE TO GIVE IT BACK I DONT HAVE TO!", only to discover that it's a fake, and it merely shoots out some small MAGA flags, makes a sad kazoo noise, and finally pops out some red, white and blue confetti.

4 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I suddenly am imagining Trump running onto the Mar E Lago putting green, clutching his precious football, hammering on the buttons and shouting "I DONT HAVE TO GIVE IT BACK I DONT HAVE TO!", only to discover that it's a fake, and it merely shoots out some small MAGA flags, makes a sad kazoo noise, and finally pops out some red, white and blue confetti.

And yet, that confetti explosion somehow causes a raging wildfire. 

19 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I was picturing Rudy Guiliani emerging from it like a demon from bag of holding, shrieking “I was the only weapon they ever trusted you with, masssterrr!”

Archived