US Politics: Pardon our trespassing and those who have trespassed US

A Horse Named Stranger

Dan Drezner's "Toddler-in-Chief" series has now hit its 2,600th post. About a month ago, he doubted he could hit 2,500 by the inauguration... and was around 2300 tweets or so. The pace has been utterly breathtaking:

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

Who knows but I would definitely trade preservation of the filibuster for convicting Trump in a second.  The filibuster ain't going anywhere anyway.

It’s a nice thought he would do this.

But he would destroy the likelyhood of his party getting more control in the mid terms.

And the presidency.

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lovely memorial ceremony in respect of the 400,000 deaths. Nice to see they used a Canadian’s song, Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah.

Leonard was one of the greats. And he's trending on twitter right now.

One of my favorite verions of Hallelujah:

https://t.co/9MiKX34A7C?amp=1

1 minute ago, Mindwalker said:

Leonard was one of the greats.

The thing is, the Dems started it with objections to Bush Jr's certification, both times. Cruz and Hawley turned it up to 11, but that bit of the damned machine was turned on by pissed off but impotent Dems who had as much justification for objecting as Hawley and Cruz did.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lovely memorial ceremony in respect of the 400,000 deaths. Nice to see they used a Canadian’s song, Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah.

Leonard Cohen, like Alex Trebek and the members of Rush, has slipped the surly bonds of Canada to become a full fledged red-blooded American! 

3 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

My second ex (the arms dealer) was also pretty much a radical train enthusiast.

I'm guessing there might be some overlap with gun nuts and fringe people, based on my sample size of one, so I'm just gonna say that I'm glad Joe took the plane and not the train.

I like trains..... :leaving:

12 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It’s a nice thought he would do this.

But he would destroy the likelyhood of his party getting more control in the mid terms.

And the presidency.

I don't know about all that but yeah I highly doubt McConnell is actually offering this (if he's even in a position to guarantee 17 GOP votes to convict).  If only because he's well aware he'd be trading for something that isn't gonna happen anyway.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The thing is, the Dems started it with objections to Bush Jr's certification, both times.

It is ridiculously out of context to say "the Dems started it."  Most people didn't even know about the 2004 objection at the time.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know about all that but yeah I highly doubt McConnell is actually offering this (if he's even in a position to guarantee 17 GOP votes to convict).  If only because he's well aware he'd be trading for something that isn't gonna happen anyway.

Trump is still incredibly popular with Republicans.

If he tells his supporters to not vote in the mid terms many will and I think enough to where the party can’t take back the senate.

Curious on the likelihood of some the gop senators who’d vote to convict switching over.

10 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Yeah, I don’t know that a song about sex and sacrilege is very appropriate for this kind of thing 

Was it appropriate when Simon Donovan was shot and Bartlet ordered Shareef's assassination?!?

....I mean, ok I guess so kind of.

3 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

If he tells his supporters to not vote in the mid terms many will and I think enough to where the party can’t take back the senate.

Trump's reaction and influence on the midterms is far more likely to be backing the primarying of any and all that oppose him.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

It is ridiculously out of context to say "the Dems started it."  Most people didn't even know about the 2004 objection at the time.

It doesn't matter what people knew at the time, it's in the Senate record and it legitimised the actions taken in the House and Senate this month. Does the context really matter when a tool that should not be used to overturn an election was first used by people in the party which now seeks to impose consequences on Republicans who used the same tool? "Our reason was justified, yours wasn't" is a weak-arsed political argument that only works on those who have already picked their side.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Does the context really matter when a tool that should not be used to overturn an election was first used by people in the party which now seeks to impose consequences on Republicans who used the same tool?

Yes, the context absolutely matters.  The Dems who objected in 2000 were justified.  And as for 2004, it was a single Senator and it was shot down by every other Senator.  And, oh yeah, a president didn't make a speech at the ellipse and then send his mob to the Capitol.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It doesn't matter what people knew at the time, it's in the Senate record and it legitimised the actions taken in the House and Senate this month. Does the context really matter when a tool that should not be used to overturn an election was first used by people in the party which now seeks to impose consequences on Republicans who used the same tool? "Our reason was justified, yours wasn't" is a weak-arsed political argument that only works on those who have already picked their side.

The use of a tool does not legitimize the misuse of a tool. Your argument uses the same logic as the cultists arguing that the BLM protests are the same as the Capitol riot. 

39 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Yeah, I don’t know that a song about sex and sacrilege is very appropriate for this kind of thing 

Leonard Cohen was devoutly religious and many of his songs were about the weaknesses and frailties of mind and body. The song has incredible power and so many undertones of sadness and grief I do think it was totally appropriate. But, each to their own.

Archived