US Politics: Pardon our trespassing and those who have trespassed US

A Horse Named Stranger

10 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

This sounds like an awful lot of work for a guy who couldn't get into the Oval Office before 10am, nor read a four-page memo without bullet-points.

What makes you think he has to do any "work" to accomplish this beyond announce it and then let his fanatic followers do it for him?

As I watched that plane take off, I thought about the serene picture of the 400 lights around the reflecting pool last night. And how, as the camera pulled back, showing the Lincoln Memorial, I noticed a gun boat in the water behind the building, and then another one, and another one, and another and another and another. 

I heard a quote from an unnamed WH supporter yesterday, saying he was like a piece of meat with a best before day long expired that needed to be discarded.

Until seeing the inauguration program for today, I somehow missed the discussion that Doug Emhoff will be referred to as "Second Gentleman." It makes sense in this case. even though no one has the title "First Gentleman". But what if Biden was gay and had a husband, would Emhoff be "Third Gentleman"? Or if Biden was a woman and had a wife, would Emhoff be "First Gentleman"? Or if Harris was gay and Emhoff was a woman, would she be "Third Lady?"

How do these things get decided?

The only time there was not a first lady was the first year of Martin van Buren's presidency; he was a widower. Eventually his daughter-in-law was named first lady, which is what Andrew Jackson before him had also done. But Vice President Richard Johnson didn't have a wife either, so these things didn't need to be figured out (he was in a long-term, maybe consensual relationship with Julia Chinn, who was a former/current slave; it's a bit unclear).

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

Until seeing the inauguration program for today, I somehow missed the discussion that Doug Emhoff will be referred to as "Second Gentleman." It makes sense in this case. even though no one has the title "First Gentleman". But what if Biden was gay and had a husband, would Emhoff be "Third Gentleman"? Or if Biden was a woman and had a wife, would Emhoff be "First Gentleman"? Or if Harris was gay and Emhoff was a woman, would she be "Third Lady?"

The only time there was not a first lady was the first year of Martin van Buren's presidency; he was a widower. Eventually his daughter-in-law was named first lady, which is what Andrew Jackson before him had also done. But Vice President Richard Johnson didn't have a wife either, so these things didn't need to be figured out (he was in a long-term, maybe consensual relationship with Julia Chinn, who was a former/current slave; it's a bit unclear).

Sounds like someone is mad that First Dude isn't a thing.

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Splitting the Republican party sounds like a best case scenario for the Democrats.

They thought the same when Trump was running as a candidate for the Republicans because "this moron should be easy to defeat".

One should be very careful with wishes, they might become true.

51 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I heard a quote from an unnamed WH supporter yesterday, saying he was like a piece of meat with a best before day long expired that needed to be discarded.

I'm sorry, I find the above sentence confusing. Is WH "White House"? So does it really mean "Donald Trump"? And is Trump or the supporter the "he" who's like the expired piece of meat? 

49 minutes ago, Fez said:

Woodrow Wilson's first wife Ellen died in August 1914 and I cannot so far find any reference to there being someone designated as "First Lady" between that time and his marriage to his second wife Edith in December 1915.

Of course Andrew Jackson was also a widower during his entire term of office, and James Buchanan was never married. For Jackson his late wife's niece was "first lady" and for Buchanan his own niece served in that role. They got that title because the President had them serve as the "hostess" for White House events. 

The person serving as official host or hostess for the President will always be "First Lady" or "First Gentleman", and the person serving in that role for the Vice President will always be "Second Lady" or "Second Gentleman", no matter what the genders of the parties invovled. Unless at some point in the future some person who considers themselves "non-binary" serves in the role and asks for some term other than "Lady" or "Gentleman" to be created, like "Gentleperson". 

12 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I'm sorry, I find the above sentence confusing. Is WH "White House"? So does it really mean "Donald Trump"? And is Trump or the supporter the "he" who's like the expired piece of meat? 

That’s what happens when you start thinking we’re all tuned in to the same wavelength! CNN quoted an unnamed WH (you show know that one) supporter saying Trump was like a piece of meat well past the best before date. I actually repeating what I remembered the CNN reporter said, he had been speaking about Trump overstaying his welcome and how he interviewed a supporter who said he was like that piece of meat.

Two things.

First, am I the only one who had to chuckle when hearing the honorable Dan Quayle.

Second. So I turned this show on, with some sorta expectation. So proud boys, qanon, and other crazies. Bring it on. I want entertainment. (j/k).

Archived