US Politics: Pardon our trespassing and those who have trespassed US

A Horse Named Stranger

3 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Nah, they were thinking of jail.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What's the German word for "the slow realization that you're probably going to be indicted soon?"

Nuh uh. They are too manly and virile to be scared of jail. Soy!

On another note, I don't know if it has to do with listening to the man child who's been standing at the podium for the last 4 years, but Biden's speech was incredible.

Please tell me what is wrong with Randy Rainbow. It’s his real name, so I imagine that he made choices. His parodies helped me got me through the T years.( not just me) I admire his scansion the most:) 

I believe that Randy is gay, Jewish and Northeastern. He is a bold musical genius. Do I think all gay people are flamboyant or wear pink cat glasses?  Of course not.

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Fuck, I wonder what Donald Trump’s up to these days. It’s been a good 3-4 hours since we heard anything from that dude.

Apparently he got one last Federal bilking in under the wire...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-extended-secret-service-protection-for-13-members-of-his-family-as-he-left-office/2021/01/20/31ef3e9e-5b3c-11eb-b8bd-ee36b1cd18bf_story.html

In the days before he left office, then-President Donald Trump instructed that his extended family get the best security available in the world for the next six months, at no cost — the protection of the U.S. Secret Service.

According to three people briefed on the plan, Trump issued a directive to extend post-presidency Secret Service protection to 13 members of his family who were not automatically entitled to receive it.

---break----

The perk for the Trump family is expected to cost taxpayers tens of millions of dollars and further stress the elite federal security force, which in the last four years had to staff the largest number ever of full-time security details — up to 42 at one point, according to former senior administration officials.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Why would this ever be allowed?

6 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Fuck, I wonder what Donald Trump’s up to these days. It’s been a good 3-4 hours since we heard anything from that dude.

How's about we make a pact to just stop commenting about him and his cohorts from now on?  Except when arrested, indicted, convicted and imprisoned.

2 minutes ago, Relic said:

Why would this ever be allowed?

It was allowed because Trump was President at the time, and authorizing additional protection details is something Presidents can do (both Bush and Obama extended temporary protection for their children beyond what the law specified; though obviously that was much fewer people). Presumably Biden could rescind the extra protection now, and maybe he will. I don't know.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Nah. The last four years have convinced me that the US is indeed a special snowflake -- of dumb, over-privileged chuds who would rather burn the world down than confront their own ignorance.

Right wing terrorists plotted to kidnap Michigan's governor because they couldn't deal with mask mandates. The uprising against Hillary Clinton for trying to get a whole country full of dumb MAGAts to wear masks might well be the boogaloo these chuds have been asking for.

But those people were a minority, even if a significant one.  There's these anti-masks, anti-vaccine idiots everywhere in the world.

Also keep in mind that there's a decent chance Trump would be in jail for long at this point, or in the worst case scenario would have a much, much smaller platform for his bullshit.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Presumably Biden could rescind the extra protection now, and maybe he will.

Yes a presidential memorandum can be revoked just like an EO, or virtually any unilateral action for that matter.

3 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Every President from this point forward should be sworn in on the Biden family bible. Did you guys see that thing? It’s like a movie prop.

Next time the US decides to invade somewhere, they don't even need weapons- just throw that thing from an airplane and when it hits the ground, it would be enough to cause an earthquake!

Archived