US Politics: Pardon our trespassing and those who have trespassed US

A Horse Named Stranger

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Finally figured out why Josh Hawley looks so familiar.  Pretty sure he was the bad guy in HBO's Watchmen series.

Ha!

He reminds me of The Smiler from Transmetropolitan, though to be fair, Pete Buttigieg was getting a lot of Smiler comparisons too.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

What's the German word for "the slow realization that you're probably going to be indicted soon?"

Maybe Treppenangst would fit ;) = only becoming afraid when you are leaving the building (I made that up as a variation of 'Treppenwitz' = Thinking of something witty you should have said, which you only come up with when you are on the stairs leaving the building)

22 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Mitch McConnell is now the Senate Minority Leader.

VP Harris swore in Warnock & Ossoff.

This is Alex Padilla erasure! He's SoCal's first senator in almost 30 years! And since his seat is so safe he'll be in the senate for a hella long time if he wants.

14 minutes ago, Prue said:

Maybe Treppenangst would fit ;) = only becoming afraid when you are leaving the building (I made that up as a variation of 'Treppenwitz' = Thinking of something witty you should have said, which you only come up with when you are on the stairs leaving the building)

I like "Muffensausen" - an old-fashioned term for "fear". Not quite als old-fashioned as "Malarkey", though.

4 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Tend to agree....

Also, Biden will sign about 17 executive orders today. Some of them include rejoining the Paris accords and a mask mandate on federal property. The latter may actually save lives.

Nope I'm totally laughing

36 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I kinda wish I knew where an active QAnon message board was so I could lurk and watch them melt down.

You probably need the Tor browser maybe.

The cracks are starting to form for some of these people from what I can see. What would be really interesting to see is how they are reacting to the list of pardons from yesterday and Trump rescinding his executive order on lobbying. I don't care how conspiratorial they are; that stuff is really difficult to paint in a positive light in a "Drain the swamp" context. The majority of the pardons are politicians who were convicted on corruption charges. Randy "Duke" Cunningham is on there for crying out loud. 

If I was trolling those boards, I'd be reminding them of this, hourly.

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You probably need the Tor browser maybe.

The cracks are starting to form for some of these people from what I can see. What would be really interesting to see is how they are reacting to the list of pardons from yesterday and Trump rescinding his executive order on lobbying. I don't care how conspiratorial they are; that stuff is really difficult to paint in a positive light in a "Drain the swamp" context. The majority of the pardons are politicians who were convicted on corruption charges. Randy "Duke" Cunningham is on there for crying out loud. 

If I was trolling those boards, I'd be reminding them of this, hourly.

I saw some "nice" screens from Parler et al, like "I'm dne with T, he only pardoned some evil zionists". On twitter, @parlertakes posts stuff like than.

I myself am trying to detox from these things.

9 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'd like 538 to start showing Biden's approval rating and compare to previous Presidents.....

Job approval polls don't start until the president, ya know, actually has a job to approve.  If you look at 538's comparisons of all presidents, they all start on Day 9.  RCP has Biden's favorability rating up though.  There's also approval of Biden's transition, but that's different - his approval rating is not gonna be that high, even the first ones.

WBGO, the wonderful New Jersey Jazz station, is playing the most upbeat, celebratory music, from wild gospel-mode infused Little Richard, to the most slinky, wild blues.  And down in New Orleans -- on WWOZ -- wooeeee!

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Also very cool

Obviously I come from a very different employee rights culture but I disagree that this is cool. I don't disagree with the sentiment, but the fire on the spot thing is just wrong for any progressive / social democrat. Also, firing someone on the spot is not treating the firee with decency. 

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

I saw some "nice" screens from Parler et al, like "I'm dne with T, he only pardoned some evil zionists". On twitter, @parlertakes posts stuff like than.

I myself am trying to detox from these things.

Two thoughts:

1. We live in a world full of ex-KKK or ex-skinheads or ex-Neo-Nazis or ex-Moonies, etc. The all have their own stories about how they got in, what broke the facade for them and their journey out. IMO, they should be acknowledged and welcomed. The exception I would make is for the would-be politicians an journalists that got on the Trump train. I have no interest in hearing another mea culpa from Glenn Beck. Fuck him. Fuck them. They can eat shit.  

2. I previously compared American Conservatism's cultivation of lies and "generalized rage" to a Frankenstien(s) (monster) that's out of control. I'm seeing a lot of Q posts and Parlertakes where these people feel betrayed and are outraged at Trump himself. All of these people are armed. Some of these people, properly motivated, are capable of violence. Trump might have a serious problem. 

Archived