Football: Leicester We Forget

polishgenius

4 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

As a Real Madrid I admitted that he is a pretty dirty player. Altough he does many faults, he does most of them for the sake of the team, and yes, a few for personal revenge too (I'm not denying in it obviously).

But this is the same case as what happened between him an Salah in the UCL final. Half of the word blindly 'judged' him for unintentionally falling on him. You may also see this case a different way, we're not the same.

Outside the field, tho, he is a very correct guy, his interviews are never provocative, unless he's not provoked. 

Who cares what he's like off the pitch? He's a football player and we're making our impression on him based on what we see on the field unless in the case of proper nutjobs such as Mario Balotelli who threw darts on youth team players and fired fireworks indoors and caused fire damage to his house. And on the pitch he's one of the dirtiest players I've seen over 25+ years of watching football.

There's no way anyone can convince me that he "unintentionally fell" on Salah in that CL final. That's partly because of him hanging on to Salah's arm while falling, partly because of him laughing on camera while Salah was leaving the pitch and partly because of Ramos' track record of dirty moves.

I'm sure Ramos is great to his friends and family but guess what? Majority of the world population are great to their friends and family. Also, majority of the world are great when there's nothing on the line and their adrenaline is not elevated.

Sure, we all have our favourite team and are willing to cut our star players some slack but saying Ramos is not a cunt is just plain delusional.

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Did you never see Gazza? 

Gazza was more gifted obviously but I think it would be fair to say he didn't consistently live up to his potential.

Mind you also while he is technically 'in my lifetime' Gazza was fucking about in Italy by the time I really remember the fitba so I didn't see the best of him.

Weird take on Keane.

I wouldn't name him as the best midfielder of his generation by any stretch. There were clearly many more gifted players around. He's however made full use of his talent. Mentality wise, yeah, he was better than a lot of his more gifted peers.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

There were clearly many more gifted players around.

Obviously. Most gifted and best are not the same thing though.

Keane in his hey was positionally the best midfielder I can remember apart from Xavi (who's the one guy I'd put along with him as far as true CMs go in that timeframe), defensively equal to anyone, but also an incredible box-to-boxer, really good at driving runs, a top drawer passer and always available for the out pass. There's a reason Scholes in his early days was able to play so advanced he got comparisons to Bergkamp despite playing in a two man midfield alongside Keane. He couldn't have done that alongside anyone else.

I joke about people not remembering him but genuinely I feel like current ratings of Keane are based on his later days when his back went and he couldn't run and just sat deep in DM.

I started watching Premier League in the late '90s. The first full season I saw was Arsenal's double winning season in '97/98, followed by United's treble winning season. I remember quite a few things from those first few seasons - Bergkamp's masterpieces, Beckham's insane crosses and free-kicks, pace of Giggs and Owen (not when they were on the same time, obviously :D ), passes from Scholes, Arsenal's back four etc. For some reason, I don't remember much of Keane's skill. Things that stand out in memory are his conflicts with Vieira and Haaland and stuff like that.

48 minutes ago, baxus said:

I started watching Premier League in the late '90s. The first full season I saw was Arsenal's double winning season in '97/98, followed by United's treble winning season. I remember quite a few things from those first few seasons - Bergkamp's masterpieces, Beckham's insane crosses and free-kicks, pace of Giggs and Owen (not when they were on the same time, obviously :D ), passes from Scholes, Arsenal's back four etc. For some reason, I don't remember much of Keane's skill. Things that stand out in memory are his conflicts with Vieira and Haaland and stuff like that.

Not unusual for the guys doing the dirty work to fade from the memory faster than the guys with the flashy tricks and flicks. A guy like Makelele won't get mentioned much in a list of top midfielders but he was a great player for Real Madrid and Chelsea. Even long time Liverpool fans seem to forget about Graeme Souness even though he was a great player and captained the successful side of the 80s - seems he's mostly remembered these days for dismantling Dalglish's team and setting the club back as a manager.

46 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Not unusual for the guys doing the dirty work to fade from the memory faster than the guys with the flashy tricks and flicks. A guy like Makelele won't get mentioned much in a list of top midfielders but he was a great player for Real Madrid and Chelsea. Even long time Liverpool fans seem to forget about Graeme Souness even though he was a great player and captained the successful side of the 80s - seems he's mostly remembered these days for dismantling Dalglish's team and setting the club back as a manager.

Souness was also a cunt!

I’m on a toxic roll.

I rate Keane as well, not the best of his generation but up there, especially in his heyday. I wouldn’t call him a cunt either (and I’m from Glasgow) but he’s definitely a bit of a prick.

Oof. Real Madrid just got knocked out of the Copa del Rey by a team from the 3rd division. They scored the winner in extra time after going down to 10 men too. 

Good win for us after a poor start and conceding early. Pogba with a banger on his weaker foot to win it. 

5 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

um...ramos has 26 red cards and 200 red cards. i have watched him play a lot over the years. even the many madrid fans i know recognize him as a dirty player. 

226 red cards is high, even by Ramos standards.

Archived