Football: Leicester We Forget

polishgenius

Re: the two controversial sending offs yesterday. The relevant law says:

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

So by the letter of the law, the ref was correct in sending off Luiz. I don't think Arsenal have a chance of getting the red card rescinded on appeal.

Bednarek, otoh, should not have been sent off. His was not even a foul and Martial clearly made a meal of it so Southampton do have a very good case of getting Bednarek's red card rescinded.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Re: the two controversial sending offs yesterday. The relevant law says:

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

So by the letter of the law, the ref was correct in sending off Luiz. I don't think Arsenal have a chance of getting the red card rescinded on appeal.

Bednarek, otoh, should not have been sent off. His was not even a foul and Martial clearly made a meal of it so Southampton do have a very good case of getting Bednarek's red card rescinded.

Rule needs to be fixed to add a line about accidental contact. The rule was modified, in the first place, to prevent shit like this.

Liverpool make two changes for this evening’s Anfield encounter with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Alisson Becker is ruled out due to illness, so Caoimhin Kelleher begins in goal, while Roberto Firmino replaces Divock Origi in attack.

New signing Ben Davies is named on the bench.

Liverpool: Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Phillips, Henderson, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Thiago, Shaqiri, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Adrian, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones, Tsimikas, Origi, Davies, R. Williams, Cain, N. Williams.

5 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm not convinced the Luiz one was accidental. It may have looked that way, but why was he making a run behind the player?

Because Sideshow Bob is playing four-dimensional chess, a sort of 5G football, that the rest of us only perceive as extreme goofiness.

18 hours ago, ants said:

Their CB's on the weekend were Phillips and Henderson, with uninjured depth of ......

So getting 2 guys in, even if one is a championship player, makes sense.  If they both excel they can upgrade Phillips and send Henderson & Fabinho (when fit) back to the midfield.  If one is only depth, well they need depth.  

Phillips is basically a Championship level centreback. Like I said, Kabak makes sense, as he is already pretty good at age 20, altho still a bit raw. So he can really compete with Matip and Gomez over the spot next van Dijk next season (I am assuming they will make the move permanent). I just really don't see the point of shipping in somebody, who will presumably be the 5th choice CB next season. It would've made more sense to either get some veteran on a short term (or loan) deal, or bring in some gifted talent from a top club, which is not getting game time, because their first choice centrebacks are not spending the rest of the season out injured.

Ofc, Liverpool's scouting department knows the players they brought in better than I do (especially from second tier English teams), so there's every chance to prove me wrong.

Archived