NFL 2021 By Henne Means Necessary

mcbigski

All you can do is just laugh:

Most Rushing TDs by a QB in a season at Virginia Tech

Bruce Arians - 11 TDs
Michael Vick - 9 TDs

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/bruce-arians-virginia-tech-touchdowns-michael-vick-01exa8pymwde

Prior to yesterday: 

Jake Delhomme's 3 Super Bowl TD passes traveled more yards (136) than Tom Brady's 18 Super Bowl TD passes (133)

31 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Meanwhile I don't know why you think the Dolphins weren't letting Tua go down field. They kept pulling him because he wouldn't.

I disagree. It looked like they were calling two completely different games with Tua and Fitz. 

13 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

That said, I think Justin Jefferson should have won OROY. And I’ll also give Tristan Wirfs a shout out. Kid is an absolute stud. Did anyone hear his name called once last night (playing OT in the Super Bowl as a rookie)? Yeah, I didn’t either. 

JJ was as good a rookie WR as I've ever seen, and long time posters here know Randy Moss is my favorite player ever, even more so than KG, Nadal and Serena. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, let's not forget Brady beat peak Warner, McNabb, Ryan and Mahomes to name a few, but lost twice to Eli and once to Foles. Dufaq??

The game is won and lost in the trenches. NY and Philly (just like Tampa last night) were better on their lines. 

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Not impressed with Tua at all so far. At least not compared to Herbert and Burrow. 

Yeah I forgot about Burrows in that drunken post game haze, but he's part of that future we will need to move onto unless we're gonna have 50 yr old Gronk and Brady SB 60's.:D

10 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The game is won and lost in the trenches. NY and Philly (just like Tampa last night) were better on their lines. 

Hence why I said the Bucs would win specifically because of the line. I just didn't think the Chiefs would be that bad. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hence why I said the Bucs would win specifically because of the line. I just didn't think the Chiefs would be that bad. 

Reid also didn’t call a very good game last night. CEH was running really well (7.1 avg), yet they only gave him 9 carries. Obviously once they got down big they had to have Mahomes start chucking it, but I was really surprised by that. 

On the other side, Byron Leftwich called a great (and well balanced) game. 

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Reid also didn’t call a very good game last night. CEH was running really well (7.1 avg), yet they only gave him 9 carries. Obviously once they got down big they had to have Mahomes start chucking it, but I was really surprised by that. 

It's hard not to overly lean on your star QB, especially when you're Andy Reid. It's plagued him for some time now. 

On the other side, Byron Leftwich called a great (and well balanced) game. 

He and Todd Bowles deserve HC looks. Teams shouldn't hire guys until after the season. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He and Todd Bowles deserve HC looks. Teams shouldn't hire guys until after the season. 

I really don't understand the rush to get a head coach the week after the regular season ends... is getting a coach to go to the Senior Bowl that important????  What is the head coach really able to do during the four weeks of late December to late January?

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I really don't understand the rush to get a head coach the week after the regular season ends... is getting a coach to go to the Senior Bowl that important????  What is the head coach really able to do during the four weeks of late December to late January?

Get with the GM and start working on the draft plan and the trade plan. 

Putting getting ready for the draft and putting a staff together can all be done in February, it's just a bit tighter.  It's not like the scouting isn't happening, it just is happening without the coaches input, and the coach + scouting department will need to iron out differences and preferences.  Compare that to having a good coach vs having a bad coach and it's hard to believe that this keeps happening. 

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Putting getting ready for the draft and putting a staff together can all be done in February, it's just a bit tighter.  It's not like the scouting isn't happening, it just is happening without the coaches input, and the coach + scouting department will need to iron out differences and preferences.  Compare that to having a good coach vs having a bad coach and it's hard to believe that this keeps happening. 

You always want as much time, especially if you're going to worry about screwing it up. 

17 minutes ago, KalbearAnon said:

You always want as much time, especially if you're going to worry about screwing it up. 

So bring in inferior talent early so they can...screw things up? I'd rather bring in the people I want without rushing things and give them a year to punt on than rushing shitty people in quickly so they can fuck everything up for three years leading to being back at the say spot to begin with. Hiring someone this coming Friday and three weeks ago doesn't really matter if you got the right person in place.

59 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So bring in inferior talent early so they can...screw things up? I'd rather bring in the people I want without rushing things and give them a year to punt on than rushing shitty people in quickly so they can fuck everything up for three years leading to being back at the say spot to begin with. Hiring someone this coming Friday and three weeks ago doesn't really matter if you got the right person in place.

But you want to have as  much time as you can to get the 'right' person in. And that does take time. And one of those deadlines is the March trade deadline and the April draft - and only having two months for that sucks.

4 minutes ago, KalbearAnon said:

But you want to have as  much time as you can to get the 'right' person in. And that does take time. And one of those deadlines is the March trade deadline and the April draft - and only having two months for that sucks.

Every team has departments dedicated to those ends, so getting a coach in quickly doesn't matter as much as it may have in the past, and they shouldn't have much say on first year moves pre-draft unless they enter a Watson/Texans kind of situation. 

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Every team has departments dedicated to those ends, so getting a coach in quickly doesn't matter as much as it may have in the past, and they shouldn't have much say on first year moves pre-draft unless they enter a Watson/Texans kind of situation. 

Yeah no, that's not how this works. They have departments dedicated to those ends but if they're not in alignment with what the coach identifies as wants/needs they're useless, or worse than useless. Often the coach also wants to bring in their own set of scouts or scout leads. And then there's the whole dealing with contracts and other fun things.

There are a lot of problems if you don't do this; several programs hired their coaches late, and that first draft was completely pointless for them. And that's a big issue. It doesn't always have to be, but realistically if your program is hiring a coach at the end of the season you're already not a particularly well-run system, so having more time to get things working better is important.

Archived