NFL 2021 By Henne Means Necessary

mcbigski

13 minutes ago, Rhom said:

JJ Watt to Arizona.

Is there a yawning emoji somewhere on this board?

Did he just like draw the Cards out of a hat?  So random.  If he was going to go to a bad team he could have just stayed with the Texans and made more.

The Cards are better than the Texans, but you need a pretty expansive list of "contenders" if they qualify.  They were 8-8 last year, and seem to be on the upswing with some young talent, but still.  Hard to believe that was a more appealing offer than say, the Packers or Bills. 

If the Niners are healthy next year, that's the fourth best team in the division.  I don't know what the other offers were, but reports are that he's getting $23m guaranteed on a $31m deal.  So I guess that's good?

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Cards are better than the Texans, but you need a pretty expansive list of "contenders" if they qualify.  They were 8-8 last year, and seem to be on the upswing with some young talent, but still.  Hard to believe that was a more appealing offer than say, the Packers or Bills. 

I'm guessing he went to the team that gave him the most guaranteed money, because it's really hard to argue that the Browns and Bills weren't better situations as teams that won playoff games.  The Packers would obviously be a great situation too but they have no cap space and probably would have had to make some moves to clear up the money to sign Watt.

Just now, briantw said:

I'm guessing he went to the team that gave him the most guaranteed money, because it's really hard to argue that the Browns and Bills weren't better situations as teams that won playoff games.  The Packers would obviously be a great situation too but they have no cap space and probably would have had to make some moves to clear up the money to sign Watt.

I've no doubt that money was a factor, but it is really hard to believe at this stage in his career that he values an extra $5 million guaranteed over going to a true contender.  He's already earned just over $100 million in NFL salary (not counting substantial endorsement money).  $5 million is nothing to scoff at, but I'd think at this point a ring would matter a helluva lot more.  Hell, just the additional endorsement money from being a super bowl champ might be worth $5 million over the rest of his life. 

It is hard to know how much Watt has left.  He's had a lot of injuries over the career, but elite pass rushers in their early 30s often have one or two more great years left.  Just look at the impact that JPP had on the Bucs this year.  He's not as good as Watt, had just as many injuries, and is a year older, but still he was a monster this postseason. 

39 minutes ago, Rhom said:

JJ Watt to Arizona.

Is there a yawning emoji somewhere on this board?

25 minutes ago, briantw said:

Did he just like draw the Cards out of a hat?  So random.  If he was going to go to a bad team he could have just stayed with the Texans and made more.

19 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

What a wet fart of a decision. Have fun being the seven seed and getting waxed by Matty Staves and the Rams.

31 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I've no doubt that money was a factor, but it is really hard to believe at this stage in his career that he values an extra $5 million guaranteed over going to a true contender.  He's already earned just over $100 million in NFL salary (not counting substantial endorsement money).  $5 million is nothing to scoff at, but I'd think at this point a ring would matter a helluva lot more.  Hell, just the additional endorsement money from being a super bowl champ might be worth $5 million over the rest of his life.  

Makes me wonder what the Bills and Browns actually offered him, because as mentioned it's hard to imagine passing up those situations to sign with fucking Kliff Kingsbury?

Maybe Nuk talked him into it?

25 minutes ago, briantw said:

Makes me wonder what the Bills and Browns actually offered him.

Hard to know, but I would think that between the Bills, Bucs, Browns and Packers at least one of those teams would have offered him $18 million guaranteed over two years (5 million less than the Cards offer). 

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I figured the Colts would be after him. But for that money you can have Von Miller I guess.

Allegedly, they were.

Not sure if I believe that, as it just doesn't appear to make any logical sense unless Hopkins was a huge influence on Watt.

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'll take Von Miller. C'mon, son. Do the reverse-Peyton Demarcus Ware bit.

Probably competing with Cleveland there.  I know Miller and Garrett are friends. 

Archived