NFL 2021 By Henne Means Necessary

mcbigski

The Bucs O line was better than the Packers D line and the Bucs D line was better than the Packers O line.  That's really the story of the game.  Rodgers outplayed Brady, but not to the extent that it could overcome that. 

Wrong in both games it looks like.  Didn't expect the refs to not throw a flag all game (until the last minute) in GB, which is really going to help a team with the most penalties on the year.  I wonder if they'll do the same for the SB to try to ensure Brady gets his, or if they will actually call a real football game.  The KC was just not close and it's hard for me to imagine them being beatable in the SB with all the weapons they have.

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Wrong in both games it looks like.  Didn't expect the refs to not throw a flag all game (until the last minute) in GB, which is really going to help a team with the most penalties on the year.  I wonder if they'll do the same for the SB to try to ensure Brady gets his, or if they will actually call a real football game.  The KC was just not close and it's hard for me to imagine them being beatable in the SB with all the weapons they have.

Yeah, I was trying not to mention the refs, but the Packers do have room for complaint.  A ton of defensive holding on both teams all game (including Rodgers INT in the first half), and the refs let it go.  But then they throw the flag on that final 3rd down play?  On a ball that probably isn't catchable anyway?  Frustrating. 

34 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, I was trying not to mention the refs, but the Packers do have room for complaint.  A ton of defensive holding on both teams all game (including Rodgers INT in the first half), and the refs let it go.  But then they throw the flag on that final 3rd down play?  On a ball that probably isn't catchable anyway?  Frustrating. 

That isn't why the lost the game.  Going for the field goal instead of a touchdown is why the lost the game.  IMO.

For your reading pleasure:

https://deadspin.com/tom-brady-has-been-to-more-super-bowls-than-every-franc-1846124311

To appreciate what Brady has been able to do, you need to understand just how insane it is to make it to the biggest annual sporting event this country puts on. The New England Patriots are the only franchise that has more appearances than Brady, with 11. And with the way he’s playing at 43, who’s to say that he can’t at least tie that before he retires?

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That isn't why the lost the game.  Going for the field goal instead of a touchdown is why the lost the game.  IMO.

I mean, there are lots of things that could have lost the game.  I think that LeFleur's decision was the wrong one, but it's not as bad a call as plenty of coaches made.  Both of the Bills field goal kicks were much worse decisions.  And whoever called the defense on that last play of the first half to have single coverage deep with 6 seconds left...that was much worse. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I mean, there are lots of things that could have lost the game.  I think that LeFleur's decision was the wrong one, but it's not as bad a call as plenty of coaches made.  Both of the Bills field goal kicks were much worse decisions.  And whoever called the defense on that last play of the first half to have single coverage deep with 6 seconds left...that was much worse. 

Sure, but if they had gotten the TD there, and then a 2 pt conversion, the game is tied.  Brady didn't look so great in the 2nd half.  It isn't like the Packers had some potato game manager at QB, but Rogers.  I just don't think that that call, which I agree would have been better if it wasn't made, was any kind of game changer or momentum changer. 

28 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Sure, but if they had gotten the TD there, and then a 2 pt conversion, the game is tied.  Brady didn't look so great in the 2nd half.  It isn't like the Packers had some potato game manager at QB, but Rogers.  I just don't think that that call, which I agree would have been better if it wasn't made, was any kind of game changer or momentum changer. 

If we're going for the "what if" game.

The Packers scored to make it 23-31 mid way through the third.  The newer line of thinking seems to be "go for 2" and you're only down a field goal.  They failed on the 2 point try.

Had they just kicked the extra point, then when the game plays out they only need a touchdown and point after to tie the game and maybe you're more likely to go for it on that fourth down.

Overall, I'm of the opinion that until it gets late in the game, take your points where you can get them.

28 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I think that in LaFleur's defense, people underestimate what a bad situation it is to be down 8.  Yes, it's only one touchdown, but you have to score it on 4th down, and the two point conversion, and if you do it's only tied.  Then Brady gets the ball back in a tie game with 2 minutes left.  How likely are you to get stop there?  Is it really dramatically easier than getting Tampa to punt when they're sitting on a 5 point lead?  And even if you do get those three hard things to happen (score on 4th down, score 2 pt conversion, stop Brady from scoring in 2 minute drill) then it's only overtime, and basically a coin flip. 

In contrast, if you kick the field goal, you need to do one very hard thing (force a punt) and then one hard thing (score a touchdown with remaining time).  But at that point, you take the lead and probably win the game. 

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Overall, I'm of the opinion that until it gets late in the game, take your points where you can get them.

I'm pretty sure the score was 28-23, not 31-23 at that point.  And I also thought that was the wrong call.  It is only the right call if you assume that Tampa isn't going to score again.  If they kick a field goal (as happened) then you need a td to tie, and it's better to kick.  If they score a touchdown, then you definitely need to score another touchdown yourself and can go for 2 then.  Thus it is stupid unless you think Tampa isn't going to score again, and thus a fg would tie the game to go to OT.  Which, with that much time left, is very unlikely. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm pretty sure the score was 28-23, not 31-23 at that point.  And I also thought that was the wrong call.  It is only the right call if you assume that Tampa isn't going to score again.  If they kick a field goal (as happened) then you need a td to tie, and it's better to kick.  If they score a touchdown, then you definitely need to score another touchdown yourself and can go for 2 then.  Thus it is stupid unless you think Tampa isn't going to score again, and thus a fg would tie the game to go to OT.  Which, with that much time left, is very unlikely. 

Oh sorry!  Yes.  That's the game situation.

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think that in LaFleur's defense, people underestimate what a bad situation it is to be down 8.  Yes, it's only one touchdown, but you have to score it on 4th down, and the two point conversion, and if you do it's only tied.  Then Brady gets the ball back in a tie game with 2 minutes left.  How likely are you to get stop there?  Is it really dramatically easier than getting Tampa to punt when they're sitting on a 5 point lead?  And even if you do get those three hard things to happen (score on 4th down, score 2 pt conversion, stop Brady from scoring in 2 minute drill) then it's only overtime, and basically a coin flip. 

In contrast, if you kick the field goal, you need to do one very hard thing (force a punt) and then one hard thing (score a touchdown with remaining time).  But at that point, you take the lead and probably win the game. 

Yeah, it wasn't a crazy HOF bad call level decision.  But, its Tom Brady.  And if they had gotten the TD there, which there is no reason to think they couldn't have, you've got a momentum shift, which is one of those intangible but real things.  Just like how everyone at the Bucs org talks about how the presence of Brady alone made people now believe they could succeed, and they did.  Confidence is another of those real but intangible variables.

I'm glad Brady won, if only to shut up the haters, but I would have been happy if Rogers had won.  I don't think the Bucs can take the Chiefs, but I thought the odds were that the Bucs couldn't take the Packers at Lambeau.  

You have Aaron Rodgers. You need two completions into the end zone to tie. If you do not get the conversion then a field goal wins you the game if you can get the ball back, which is better than the need to get a TD to win. If you fail the 4th down play they take over presumably inside the 10 and you can still tie with a defensive stop. You have Aaron Rodgers. 

8 yards to score. You have Aaron Rodgers. You choose to put the game in the hands of your weakest unit. Terrible coaching.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Any thoughts of Rodgers' post-game comments?  Think he's seriously considering retirement, or just bitter?

Heard some talking head discussion there.  With them drafting his apparent successor last year, maybe he just sees the writing on the wall.  But he’s under contract through ‘23 so I would imagine that to leave GB would require quite a haul.

Archived