Acrophobia #40 - Happy New Year! - ROUND 5

Julia H.

5 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

Shall we try a round robin game.  I can come up with a couple of themes, but not enough for a full game.  Maybe if each of us can muster up a round, we will have a game.  I can take a first shot at some rules and we can make adjustments.

Whaddya tink?

I'm happy to try.

I think round robin stems from when I suggested a game of acrophilia where we all take a turn hosting a round.

Acrophilia differs from Acrophobia in that it not mostly about who makes the most elegant, amusing, accurate or whatever entries, but on guessing who the entries refer to, and then what joins them as a group. Each player is assigned a character by the host (it could also be other things like a place I suppose) and all players use the same supplied letters to write an entry. Then players try to guess who the entries refer to and what theme unites them and send that to the host. There are also some points, though, for favourite entries.

Writing this has made me grateful Jez has offered to dig out the rules.

Okay so I've got a fun idea for Acrophobia. I'm putting round ideas together so hopefully I'll start a new phobia thread at some point soon. The concept will be Unwritten Song Titles, so you'll have to come up with titles for as yet unwritten songs about seven different events.

I'll let you brilliant ladies work out the details for a round robin Acrophilia but I'm sure I will join in.

6 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Okay so I've got a fun idea for Acrophobia. I'm putting round ideas together so hopefully I'll start a new phobia thread at some point soon. The concept will be Unwritten Song Titles, so you'll have to come up with titles for as yet unwritten songs about seven different events.

That sounds brilliant. It will give us some time to agree to rules for a philia game

Here are some initial thoughts 

• Spoiler

• The hosts should have some flexibility on the round structure.  For example, they may want mini themes and an overall theme.  They might want to give free y/n questions or spying, they may want to add their own extra clues.  Whatever it is will add up to a certain number of maximum guessing points in the round (fave clue points are separate).
    • The host should automatically have the max round points added to their score.  This gives an incentive for the host to create a challenging round, but doesn't penalize them for hosting.  That solves the issue of some players who just want to play and others who want to host more than one round.  Alternatively, the host could get a score matching the player(s) with the highest guessing score plus a little bonus for hosting.  That way, hosts will not make the game so challenging that they always get a higher score, in fact it is an incentive to help players do well.
    • You probably also want some guidance for how the thread will be managed.  For example, we usually change the thread description for each round, but only the person who starts the post can do that.  Also, there will be many DM chains with different hosts.  There will need to be a naming convention or else people will confuse their DMs and unintentionally collude.
    • I hope scheduling will not be a challenge, but it depends on when folks are ready with a theme or if they have personal commitments that make hosting difficult at certain times.  We may have to be a bit fluid here.

6 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I'll let you brilliant ladies work out the details for a round robin Acrophilia but I'm sure I will join in.

Wonderful idea!!!! :bowdown:

A question for you Acrophobes about the next game

Would you prefer to be given a specific Westerosi songwriter for each round or would you like the chance to name your own with each entry? I'm flip-flopping on this question

23 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Would you prefer to be given a specific Westerosi songwriter for each round or would you like the chance to name your own with each entry? I'm flip-flopping on this question

Giving us flexibility on the songwriter gives us more options but it also means we have to burn 1-3 letters letting the other players know which songwriter we're using.  Personally I'd rather have the extra letters while you dictate the songwriter.  

5 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

would we need to use the letters to name the songwriter?  Does it need to be a westerosi songwriter?

5 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

well the advantage of choice of songwriter is we could write the song from a specific point of view eg Tom o Sevens would differ from marillion.

maybe we could just note the author but not use our letters. eg we could end it ______by Marillion

on the other hand, if you specify the author, capturing their viewpoint becomes part of the challenge

9 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Maybe one game to try out one version and another to try out the other version? :D I can see the advantages of both versions (as Castellan described above), so I'll be happy to try either one.

10 hours ago, Castellan said:

well the advantage of choice of songwriter is we could write the song from a specific point of view eg Tom o Sevens would differ from marillion.

maybe we could just note the author but not use our letters. eg we could end it ______by Marillion

on the other hand, if you specify the author, capturing their viewpoint becomes part of the challenge

Yeah, you captured my thought process thoroughly here.

15 hours ago, Howlin' Howland said:

Giving us flexibility on the songwriter gives us more options but it also means we have to burn 1-3 letters letting the other players know which songwriter we're using.  Personally I'd rather have the extra letters while you dictate the songwriter.  

I had thought that you could name the songwriter entirely independently of the acronym, as Castellan detailed. Does that change your opinion?

10 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

Does it need to be a westerosi songwriter?

I was thinking it would be Westerosi songwriters

Because almost the same theme was first invented by me, I have thought to claim my rights and forbid it :ninja: But then I thought that it will only help you feel more alive, being driven underground with secret footshakes and secret sandwich recipes, and it would be too much fun to allow.

As long as everyone is having very little fun, it is all going swimmingly!

35 minutes ago, a free shadow said:

Because almost the same theme was first invented by me, I have thought to claim my rights and forbid it :ninja: But then I thought that it will only help you feel more alive, being driven underground with secret footshakes and secret sandwich recipes, and it would be too much fun to allow.

As long as everyone is having very little fun, it is all going swimmingly!

I thought you were our puppetmaster and that you invented every theme there is before anybody else anyway

30 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I thought you were our puppetmaster and that you invented every theme there is before anybody else anyway

Ah, so that's why she guesses themes so quickly. Now I understand. That makes a lot of sense. 

BTW, I definitely vote for Westerosi songwriters.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:41 AM, Jez Bell said:

Here are some initial thoughts 

•   Reveal hidden contents

• The hosts should have some flexibility on the round structure.  For example, they may want mini themes and an overall theme.  They might want to give free y/n questions or spying, they may want to add their own extra clues.  Whatever it is will add up to a certain number of maximum guessing points in the round (fave clue points are separate).
    • The host should automatically have the max round points added to their score.  This gives an incentive for the host to create a challenging round, but doesn't penalize them for hosting.  That solves the issue of some players who just want to play and others who want to host more than one round.  Alternatively, the host could get a score matching the player(s) with the highest guessing score plus a little bonus for hosting.  That way, hosts will not make the game so challenging that they always get a higher score, in fact it is an incentive to help players do well.
    • You probably also want some guidance for how the thread will be managed.  For example, we usually change the thread description for each round, but only the person who starts the post can do that.  Also, there will be many DM chains with different hosts.  There will need to be a naming convention or else people will confuse their DMs and unintentionally collude.
    • I hope scheduling will not be a challenge, but it depends on when folks are ready with a theme or if they have personal commitments that make hosting difficult at certain times.  We may have to be a bit fluid here.

I think giving the host the highest number of points achieved in the round is a good idea, not only because in this way the host has an interest in making the puzzle guessable, but also because it would make the round more exciting for the host than a scenario where the host would automatically get maximum points. In addition, even though I agree that the host should have some freedom designing the round, we may consider limiting the number of maximum points achievable in any given round. We can't predefine a totally fixed maximum score because the number of players submitting clues may vary from one round to another, which means the number of clues could also change, but we could say something like the maximum score should be about three times the number of clues, or it should be around 20 (so, for example, if there are mini themes for points, the main theme might be worth fewer points than in a round without mini themes). 

I have to say when i came up with the round robin idea I was just thinking of a bit of shambolic fun. If it all goes to pieces it could be reinvented as a thread where each round is seen as a single game.

I will be doing what I consider an easy theme not for points but because I am not very good at themes and out of practice anyway but I will enjoy it if anyone goes full bore and drives us crazy guessing.

Archived