US Politics - It's a new dawn. It's a new day. It's a new life for US

Which Tyler

Yeah while I get combining the two, don't know why you then lock it.  Anyway...

That said, there's a limited window for the reconciliation bill for the rest of this fiscal year - I believe until June. And obviously we need to get something out quickly. 

The other other issue is that reconciliation is not that useful for Democratic desires, as it has to have budgetary effect primarily. So things like stimulus and taxes and ACA cuts are okay, but actually raising taxes or changing voting rights or some of the green new deal regulations is probably out of luck.

The deadline for reconciliation is the end of the fiscal year - September 30.  Somewhat interestingly (if you're a dork like me), when reconciliation was created within the 1974 Budget Act, it was designed as an expedited process to quickly change any spending and tax bills that had already been passed at the end of the fiscal year - i.e. the end of September.  That being said, I think they should definitely get the whole process through by June regardless of any deadline, certainly agreed there.

You can raise taxes via reconciliation.  Actually, Biden's initial ($1.9 billion) proposal is notable as a stimulus bill for not having any "pay-fors" - he's not looking to increase anybody's taxes, at least in that proposal.  What you may be thinking of is the Byrd rule, which was discussed quite a bit during the battle over Trump's tax bill.  That rule mandates you can't have any measures that increase the deficit (up to a certain point) over a ten-year period.  That shouldn't be a problem with much of anything Biden is proposing in the initial bill - I don't think anything other than the minimum wage hike (which you can't do through reconciliation in the first place) is gonna have to "sunset" in 10 years anyway.

Voting rights, or getting any and all of HR1 through reconciliation, yeah, that's gonna take some creativity.  Rather focus on trying that next fiscal year.  As for regulations, I'm not sure, but Biden can do a lot there unilaterally anyway.

So who had 26 hours in the pool for how long it would take for the GOP Congress to officially whine about Biden's executive orders?

Some Western Republicans have launched a longshot bid to block President Biden’s executive orders to rejoin the Paris Climate Accord and revoking the permit for the Keystone pipeline.

The lawmakers, many from big energy-producing states, plan to introduce two pieces of legislation that would give Congress a say in the decisions.

The Hunts Point labor is on strike who load and unload produce that services bananas, etc. to every food emporium here and around us, from the local bodega to the most ultra expensive, exclusive restaurant, to the supermarkets, etc.  (So, ya, no brussels sprout in our house these last days, nor lettuce, etc.) The Hunts Point bosses still refuse to give the workers another dollar an hour, so our region has no fruits and veg, and including root crops like potatoes.  Today the engineer of an Ohio train delivering 300 cars worth of produce to Hunts Point turned that train around and went home. “We’re in the Teamsters Union.  This is solidarity.”  This morning Pres. Biden fired the appointee running NLB, who refused to step down/resign.  This guy was involved with Reagan’s initial act of breaking the air flight controllers union.  Biden said, “This is the most pro-union administration you’ve ever seen.”

How strange to wake up without the sense that the 'leaders' aren't out to kill me.  How strange to be eager to see the news.

The more I think about last night's post inaugural events, the more I admire how they were structured and designed. The Lincoln monument was THE backdrop, as the words of unity and others derived from union were invoked. It's civil war, all right. We have been in the thick of it, and it's still going on. And never did the B-H team and crew use that word, 'war.' But they didn't have to, with their choice of imagery and attitude. Maybe we are now in the post Vicksburg time? Lincoln, who guided the nation through the Civil War, received an extraordinary number of references Wednesday as President Biden vowed to unify a divided nation. Who is Grant and who is Lincoln today? Additionally, I felt one of the primary objectives of everything they did yesterday, and particularly with the festive parts like "Celebrating America," was to announce to the world, “America / the United States, is back.”

Probably all you all have seen this already.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I don't think anything other than the minimum wage hike (which you can't do through reconciliation in the first place) is gonna have to "sunset" in 10 years anyway.

Voting rights, or getting any and all of HR1 through reconciliation, yeah, that's gonna take some creativity.  Rather focus on trying that next fiscal year.  As for regulations, I'm not sure, but Biden can do a lot there unilaterally anyway.

I've been reading up on this, and there may be some creative ways to get around some of these restrictions; though you end up with some pretty convoluted messes that I don't know if they're worth it.

For instance, rather than raising the minimum wage to $15, you could create a tax penalty on employers that covers the difference between what they currently pay employers and $15. And then use the revenue from that tax penalty to provide a new subsidy for employees to cover the difference between their wages and $15/hour.

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah while I get combining the two, don't know why you then lock it.

The mods have been revealed to be censorious commies! Time for the downrising, my reptilian brethren!

16 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Okay, now I'm convinced we are in a simulation.

I've posted that Simpsons clip at least a half dozen times in these threads over the years. I desperately now need to know if Harris knew about it when choosing her outfit. 

The filibuster needs to be nuked, this delusion that the Republicans are going to come to the table is utter folly and if people don't see a significant improvement in their lives by 2022, it's a wrap on the Biden presidency, because we're going to get wiped and nothing will get done.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

The mods have been revealed to be censorious commies! Time for the downrising, my reptilian brethren!

We the crab people, while your sworn enemy, agree!

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

For instance, rather than raising the minimum wage to $15, you could create a tax penalty on employers that covers the difference between what they currently pay employers and $15. And then use the revenue from that tax penalty to provide a new subsidy for employees to cover the difference between their wages and $15/hour.

Interesting.  Does sound pretty convoluted.  Still think I'd prefer just pushing the issue through regular order and rely on the bully pulpit to up its popularity to force the GOP to either deal or look like assholes.

6 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

The filibuster needs to be nuked, this delusion that the Republicans are going to come to the table is utter folly and if people don't see a significant improvement in their lives by 2022, it's a wrap on the Biden presidency, because we're going to get wiped and nothing will get done.

It won’t get nuked. Even if the Democrats had a stronger majority, support for actually doing such hasn’t been uniform especially in more right leaning states.

Biden is currently signing his EOs which are focused of his COVID response. It appears Trump gave him one additional fuck you before he left:

Newly sworn in President Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration, sources tell CNN, posing a significant challenge for the new White House.

The Biden administration has promised to try to turn the Covid-19 pandemic around and drastically speed up the pace of vaccinating Americans against the virus. But in the immediate hours following Biden being sworn into office on Wednesday, sources with direct knowledge of the new administration's Covid-related work told CNN one of the biggest shocks that the Biden team had to digest during the transition period was what they saw as a complete lack of a vaccine distribution strategy under former President Donald Trump, even weeks after multiple vaccines were approved for use in the United States.

"There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.html

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It won’t get nuked. Even if the Democrats had a stronger majority, support for actually doing such hasn’t been uniform especially in more right leaning states.

The point is not whether or not the Democrats will do it, the point is that Democrats have to do it if they want to actually make a substantial difference in people's lives. The two reconciliation bill are going to be big deals, but they have to do more.

Watching Biden sign these EOs, and gotta say, he's buying a lot of fancy pens for someone who owes us all $1400.

2 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

The point is not whether or not the Democrats will do it, the point is that Democrats have to do it

.....What about the point that they don't have the votes to do it?

Just now, DMC said:

.....What about the point that they don't have the votes to do it?

That's still not the point. I'm not talking about what is practical, I'm not talking about what appears to be realistic, this is what they need to do. There is only so much that they can do in the reconciliation bills, and like I said, those will be a big deal but in order to achieve the things that Biden has said he would do, much less the things that actually need to be done that shit needs to go, otherwise, it's going to be 2010 2.0 and anything that we might have done in the second half of Biden's term is DOA.

Archived