US Politics - It's a new dawn. It's a new day. It's a new life for US

Which Tyler

1 minute ago, larrytheimp said:

I'm guessing it's either

1) Dem strategy is to have the covid package fail so they can say they've exhausted reaching across the aisle before committing fully to jamming as much stuff into a reconciliation bill, EOs, and maybe changing the filibuster threshold.

2) There is no overarching strategy-- they were caught flat-footed by the GA wins and didn't really have any legislative plan going forward.  There isn't any real sense of urgency, and nothing will happen until Cabinet confirmations are done, maybe vaccine rollout is used to justify lack of doing much else relief-wise.

----

If it's #1 I could cynically see them not wanting to do anything if significance the GOP can point to as cooperation if the plan is to have something fail.  Just seems like an awful waste of time during a crisis. 

My cynical side leans toward option 2, but to be fair, there is a lot of evidence for 1. I still think they should do the 2000 dollars check, then wage the other fight. People need stimulus. 25 million people are facing eviction. That's...unbelievable.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

“Erroneously placed behaviors” has to be added to the US political speech Hall of Fame with other greats like “enhanced interrogation”, “alternative facts” and “collateral damage”.

You know what they should be playing over and over again on tv? The clip with that GOP official of GA, who publicly begged Trump to stop with the election fraud allegations, because he was inciting violence and people would DIE. That was at the beginning of Dec, I believe. He should be a witness at the impeachment trial, too.

55 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They really mean "mayors of the palace", not stewards.  The Merovingian mayors of the palace threw out the Merovingians and established the Carolingians.

In the meantime, the news from that state sponsor of terrorism: 

This last week members of our Cuban family, and the friend who went there at the end of the year, and then couldn't return because they shut down all commercial flights due to European tourists bringing Covid back into the country, have told us that Cuba is currently vaccinating its people with its own vaccine. They've also had a medication they've developed that prevents the "cytokine storm", which in turn prevents the "long haul." While, in this country we haven't been able to DO anything, the whole nation of Cuba was in shock and horror and mourning that covid-19 has killed 5 -- FIVE -- Cubans. They simply cannot comprehend what we tell them of the numbers of sick and dead in this country.  They just cannot compute or understand that this has and continues to happen here.  Plus of course, the rules as set-up by the USA  prohibits any company even selling medical supplies to Cuba.

His brief expressly mentions the “Stewards of Gondor”.  

18 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Can we just do the accelerationist thing and replace Ted Cruz with Terry Crewes character from Idiocracy?  He'd probably win the GOP nomination on 2024 and we can just get this all over with.

President Camacho: he won’t run out of burrito coverings!

19 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

His brief expressly mentions the “Stewards of Gondor”.  

It's a false flag for the Carolingians.

State rethug parties have gone full / pure Qnon.  The shoggoth's won.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

1) Dem strategy is to have the covid package fail so they can say they've exhausted reaching across the aisle before committing fully to jamming as much stuff into a reconciliation bill, EOs, and maybe changing the filibuster threshold.

2) There is no overarching strategy-- they were caught flat-footed by the GA wins and didn't really have any legislative plan going forward.  There isn't any real sense of urgency, and nothing will happen until Cabinet confirmations are done, maybe vaccine rollout is used to justify lack of doing much else relief-wise.

First off, I agree they should do a standalone bill with the checks and vaccine aid.  This was discussed a few days ago (I believe Thursday), and I honestly don't see a downside to it.  If the GOP still obstructs on it, you can always just throw it into the larger relief bill when you're gonna have to use reconciliation for it anyway - its not like that's gonna lose you any Dem votes.  And you just made the GOP look like the assholes they are.

To answer your question, I guess it's a bit of both.  Biden just got his two week delay (which I also think is stupid) on the impeachment trial, so apparently he actually believes he can magically garner 60 votes for a relief bill, in a fortnight to boot.  Pretty much the entire rest of the party - I've seen a bunch of Dem MCs effectively say this on TV since inauguration - knows they're going to have to use reconciliation, but Biden seems determined to "give the GOP a chance" before doing so. 

There also, it should be noted, is the practical hurdle of actually getting an organizing resolution agreed upon before at least doing the relief bill through reconciliation and perhaps even such a standalone bill.  Until the composition of committees are readjusted, the GOP can practically block anything from getting out of committee in the Senate.

10 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2021/01/24/arizona-gop-reelects-kelli-ward-censures-cindy-mccain-jeff-flake-doug-ducey/6679473002/

"The party censured Ducey over his decision to impose emergency rules during the pandemic that the GOP said "restrict personal liberties and force compliance to unconstitutional edicts."

McCain, who endorsed President Joe Biden, "has supported globalist policies and candidates" and "condemned President Trump for his criticism of her husband and erroneously placed behaviors over actual presidential results."

Flake has "condemned the Republican Party, rejected populism, and rejected the interests of the American people over globalist interests." The party suggested Flake join the Democrats."

-

They censured their own Republican governor over responding to Covid. Note that AZ currently has the highest infection rate in the United States at ~ 1000 cases per million pop. per day; down from a peak of ~1300 bout a week ago. Overall it is 7th nationwide in infections per capita and 10th in deaths per capita.

This is a space worth watching I think.

So just so we're all on the same page, everyone here know that "globalist" is code for "the Jews" right? This is a "the Jews control the world" narrative.

58 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Can we just do the accelerationist thing and replace Ted Cruz with Terry Crewes character from Idiocracy?  He'd probably win the GOP nomination on 2024 and we can just get this all over with.

No cause Camacho was stupid, but he actually wanted to do the right thing by the American people.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

To answer your question, I guess it's a bit of both.  Biden just got his two week delay (which I also think is stupid) on the impeachment trial, so apparently he actually believes he can magically garner 60 votes for a relief bill, in a fortnight to boot.  Pretty much the entire rest of the party - I've seen a bunch of Dem MCs effectively say this on TV since inauguration - knows they're going to have to use reconciliation, but Biden seems determined to "give the GOP a chance" before doing so.

Yeah, I had hoped that maybe Kamala or other people would talk some sense into him, but apparently not. Every day that passes until the trial does real harm. My impression is he'd rather not have impeachment and 'move on,'.

1 minute ago, Mindwalker said:

Yeah, I had hoped that maybe Kamala or other people would talk some sense into him, but apparently not. Every day that passes until the trial does real harm. My impression is he'd rather not have impeachment and 'move on,'.

I think the rationale for the delay, which to be fair there is a logic to, is that the GOP isn't going to vote to convict anyway, so might as well get the Cabinet confirmed first and work on legislation. 

The problem is by delaying it you're signaling to everybody that this is just a partisan exercise and the outrage/need for accountability is more theater than genuinely asserting such conduct is completely unacceptable (and transcends partisanship).  It gives the GOP two weeks to rationalize why they're voting no - and most stupidly allows them to say "well the Dems seem to think confirming a Secretary of Commerce is more important than this, so I don't see what the big deal is."  Even ignoring all that, the fact Mitch wanted it should have a huge neon-lighted sign to Biden that the delay not in his own interest.

23 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

No cause Camacho was stupid, but he actually wanted to do the right thing by the American people.

Yeah, he actually listened to the smartest person in the world.  Republicans basically do the opposite.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Probably?

The level of disrespect towards future President Camacho is fucking disgusting. Send this man to rehabilitation immediately! 

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

The problem is by delaying it you're signaling to everybody that this is just a partisan exercise and the outrage/need for accountability is more theater than genuinely asserting such conduct is completely unacceptable (and transcends partisanship).  It gives the GOP two weeks to rationalize why they're voting no - and most stupidly allows them to say "well the Dems seem to think confirming a Secretary of Commerce is more important than this, so I don't see what the big deal is."  Even ignoring all that, the fact Mitch wanted it should have a huge neon-lighted sign to Biden that the delay not in his own interest.

That's basically what I mean. It's either important enough to pursue even when the culprit is out of office (whether the GOP vote to convict or not), or it can be delayed. You don't get to signal both at the same time.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

It's a false flag for the Carolingians.

State rethug parties have gone full / pure Qnon.  The shoggoth's won.

The Qs seem to be moving on from Trump, which is scary because a semi-competent psychopath could assume control.

ETA: Also the phrase "assume control" reminds me of Mass Effect 2. Q is a reaper. I'm calling it now.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

First off, I agree they should do a standalone bill with the checks and vaccine aid.  This was discussed a few days ago (I believe Thursday), and I honestly don't see a downside to it.  If the GOP still obstructs on it, you can always just throw it into the larger relief bill when you're gonna have to use reconciliation for it anyway - its not like that's gonna lose you any Dem votes.  And you just made the GOP look like the assholes they are.

There also, it should be noted, is the practical hurdle of actually getting an organizing resolution agreed upon before at least doing the relief bill through reconciliation and perhaps even such a standalone bill.  Until the composition of committees are readjusted, the GOP can practically block anything from getting out of committee in the Senate.

In addition to all this, which I do agree with. I wonder how preoccupied Klain and the others are with identifying how fucked the federal agencies have gotten and trying to fix the immediate crises. And in the absence of firm WH guidance so far, Congress is pulling a Congress.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Which is why I anticipate a split.

There will never be a split because it is political suicide. There might be a fight, but eventually the party will be united and the others cast out. 

"The Game-Changing Biden Order You Haven’t Heard About
A directive about the regulatory process could lead to progressive movement on climate change, public health and worker safety."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/biden-order-progressive-regulation_n_6009dabec5b6efae63002e20?2hn

...Tucked into all of those high-profile moves, though, was a memo with a title seemingly designed to be ignored: “Modernizing Regulatory Review.” Sent to the press at 9:43 p.m. on Wednesday in the middle of the Tom Hanks-led inaugural celebration, the White House was not expecting the dry document to drive headlines or set American hearts aflutter. 

But the memo could unleash a wave of stronger regulations to reduce income inequality, fight climate change and protect public health. Among left-leaning experts on regulation, it’s a signal that Biden could break with 40 years of conservative policy. 

“I realize what I’m about to say to you sounds absurd,” James Goodwin, a senior policy analyst at the Center for Progressive Reform, told HuffPost. “It has the potential to be the most significant action Biden took on day one.” 

The order could eventually lead to major changes at the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, an extremely obscure White House office located inside the only slightly less obscure Office of Management and Budget. OIRA, as it is known, is charged with vetting proposed regulations and has the power to weaken, delay or even kill new rules proposed by other government agencies....

....Lobbyists and other corporate interests have historically seen OIRA reviews as their last chance to block or delay regulations designed to protect consumers and workers and mandate safety measures. During President Barack Obama’s administration alone, it delayed a mandate for the installation of rear-view cameras on cars for years and watered down rules protecting workers from exposure to dangerous silica dust and regulations governing the disposal of toxic coal ash. 

Biden’s order appears set to dramatically overhaul that process, saying regulatory reviews should instead promote “public health and safety, economic growth, social welfare, racial justice, environmental stewardship, human dignity, equity, and the interests of future generations.” It also says OIRA’s director should proactively encourage agencies to develop rules that benefit the public....

Archived