US Politics - It's a new dawn. It's a new day. It's a new life for US

Which Tyler

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Um, so I guess Trump had a button in the Oval Office solely dedicated to summoning diet cokes. He should have been impeached for that alone.

Was that the button he was referring to before his "love letters" with Kim Jong Un?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/us/politics/trump-tweet-north-korea.html

6 minutes ago, Week said:

I don't -- it was still a shitty thing to say, particularly in the manner you said it. You can disagree -- that's your right. You could also try to view it from a different perspective and, maybe, it wasn't necessary.

You know what's shitty - not having an answer when Republicans say "George Floyd was a convict", which they will say forever.

Again We Must Protest!  What we decree does NOT apply to Us!

Ha, ha, ha,, !!!!!!! to all you all's Us! sez all of us, so sez we all. HA!

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/01/peter-robb-alice-stock-nlrb-fired.html

....The rabidly anti-union National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation whined about Robb’s firing on Thursday, insisting that it “was not anything actually he did as General Counsel.” It also urged Stock to resist Biden’s request for resignation. The foundation, along with Foxx, Stock, and other conservative activists, now apparently wishes that the NLRB general counsel had safeguards against removal for political reasons—something akin to just-cause termination, which Robb and Stock tried to stop unions from obtaining for their members. Both officials, however, were at-will employees. And so they experienced a fate that nonunionized Americans suffer every day: abrupt dismissal by a boss who doesn’t need a reason to kick his subordinates out on the street.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You know what's shitty - not having an answer when Republicans say "George Floyd was a convict", which they will say forever.

Wut? 

What's the point in engaging with such a clearly bad faith argument? If someone says as much then they do not value white lives and black lives equally. Goes back to our, maybe regrettable at this point, diversion re: Maher and deplatforming white supremacists. There is no winning that argument because it isn't an argument -- they are telling on themselves. Let them do so, call them on it, and move on. 

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

A lot of them are going to be convicts forever too, considering how things are going -- see the very thing they are having a virtue signalling-legal-constitutional crococile weepy-weep over.

Anyway, I know you know all this, and agree, but here it is again.

Attempting to overturn a government, shot in the act, while resisting the lawful resistance to the take-over, isn't the equivalent of killing a guy who was a convict and paid his price, is it?

Floyd hadn't earned what they did to him, after all.  Plus, he never got the chance to even go to a rigged trial or have a lawyer or anything.  And this was just one more in an endless, ever growing number of cases, for decades now (and in earlier decades and centuries) of unjust, needlessly cruel, treatment by "law enforcement".  And harassment by them too.

If they don't or can't see the difference why even bother, you know?

The winds of change are blowing (except, of course, where they aren't, as in North Dakota, down below Manitoba way, hey hey hey! Coz why if BLM can protest with all the violence in the world and never get hurt or arrested or anything why must we die when we protest peacefully?

The hits keep coming for this next level piece of human garbage:

Students who survived the Parkland, Florida, school shooting and families of the victims are calling for Georgia Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's resignation, after comments surfaced that showed her agreeing with people who said the 2018 shooting was a "false flag" operation.

Seventeen people, including 14 students, were killed in the shooting, which ignited a nationwide movement for stricter gun control laws spearheaded by March For Our Lives, a group started by survivors of the shooting.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/us/parkland-shooting-marjorie-taylor-greene/index.html

31 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I do loathe Marjorie Taylor Greene.

I also refuse to go to that part of Georgia.

As the saying goes, Atlanta is a beautiful cosmopolitan city, but once you're five minutes outside of it you're quickly reminded you're in Georgia.

What part does she represent? I don't know too much about the state outside of Atlanta's sports and music scene.

4 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Um, so I guess Trump had a button in the Oval Office solely dedicated to summoning diet cokes. He should have been impeached for that alone.

"The button that summons Fritz with a beer" is used for comedic effect throughout Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries.

So I have no problem believing that Trump had an ACTUAL button, and one that delivered Diet Coke, a disgusting chemical fizzy drink.  The guy is a living caricature.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

I'd have the same button, only it would summon Scotch.

Damnit man, what are you thinking? The presidency requires you to be quick with your fingers and even quicker between the ears.

The button must bring cocaine! 

A mini cooler stocked with diet cokes in the office is not an option? Why does there have to be a buzzer to call for someone for such a simple task?

I'll never understand what rich people enjoy as perks of their wealth (and maybe Presidents, but this seems more in keeping with trappings of wealth rather than power). Also, dont see Buffet or Gates doing something like this, maybe Bezos.

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

A mini cooler stocked with diet cokes in the office is not an option? Why does there have to be a buzzer to call for someone for such a simple task?

You could just keep the scotch and cocaine in the desk.

I'm the last person who wouldn't trash Georgia, the Georgia after Ogglethorpe, when he and his ideals were forced out by Georgians who by Gawd were going to have slaves like everybody, followed by a whole lot more, including Theodore Roosevelt's mother's family andGone With The Wind,  But still, there's so much to really love about Georgia, including its land (like all the South), the musics (like all the South), the food (like all the South), and then, you know, our friends. Some live in Atlanta, others all over the place.

I dunno.  I just had to say that, because for all of what I know deep, broad and granularly about "the South", so many of its people, I can't help but have my own heart strings pulled by it sometimes.  There's a reason African Americans with their roots so deep in that bloody soil, are still pulled 'back home.'

But dayem -- "they" sure have been hard at work for so very long to make me ignore all that.

Two very disconcerting stories coming out tonight that Biden appointees need to investigate thoroughly...

First, there was another hairbrained Trump scheme to steal Georgia's election that we never heard about. It involved replacing the acting AG with a true stooge who would compel Georgia's legislature to issue an electoral certification for Trump.

Second up, the FBI seems to have found proof that there was at least one person on the inside for the coup attempt. Though still not known who. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/conspiracy-oath-keeper-arrest-capitol-riot/2021/01/19/fb84877a-5a4f-11eb-8bcf-3877871c819d_story.html

In charging papers, the FBI said that during the Capitol riot, Caldwell received Facebook messages from unspecified senders updating him of the location of lawmakers. When he posted a one-word message, “Inside,” he received exhortations and directions describing tunnels, doors and hallways, the FBI said.

Some messages, according to the FBI, included, “Tom all legislators are down in the Tunnels 3floors down,” and “Go through back house chamber doors facing N left down hallway down steps.” Another message read: “All members are in the tunnels under capital seal them in. Turn on gas,” the FBI added.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Do you remember those meetings that had to open with recitations of slavish praise from his Cabinet secretaries? He had the Diet Coke button because he wanted to have someone at his beck and call.

37 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Do you remember those meetings that had to open with recitations of slavish praise from his Cabinet secretaries? He had the Diet Coke button because he wanted to have someone at his beck and call.

So from my understanding, Trump wasn't the first President to have that kind of button in the Oval. But whereas previous Presidents used it as a way to summon an aide when they needed one to do something, Trump issued instructions that him pressing it meant he wanted a Diet Coke.

Archived