HBO Planning Dunk and Egg, Other Thrones-properties

Westeros

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Yep, Benioff and Weiss have been in such a hot demand after the GoT ended. That's why the Star Wars franchise is so happy to have them,... oh wait.

They quit Star Wars because they signed a $250 million deal with Netflix, lol. They already signed on to two projects: The Three Body Problem and Overstory.

1. First Reich (1–48): Starts with the coronation of Aegon I and ends with the death of Maegor.
  2. Second Reich (48–161): Starts with the legal and religious reforms of Jaehaerys I and ends with the death of Daeron I.
  3. Third Reich (161–283): Starts with Baelor’s peace and ends with the death of Aerys II.

Targaryen rule can be divided by the most significant regime changes (or revolutions if you like) like this. Blackfyre Rebellion is a reaction to a major regime change. The military wing which benefited from the Dornish wars; the regions that are traditionally antagonistic to Dorne; and the opportunists tried to reclaim the government with this rebellion. This is both politically and story-wise more significant than Robert’s Rebellion or the Dance of Dragons (which was a simple Targaryen civil war based on a mere succession crisis).

34 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

They quit Star Wars because they signed a $250 million deal with Netflix, lol. They already signed on to two projects: The Three Body Problem and Overstory.

Oh yes, they said No to Star Wars because they had something better...

Sure, Jan. :rofl:

14 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I have no doubt that the reception to GoT may have meant that Disney was not overflowing with tears to see them go, but Disney would also have looked at the fact that they did create (albeit as an adaptation) the biggest show on television for nine years straight. Fumbling the ending is not an uncommon thing in TV (BSGLostSeinfeldThe Sopranos etc) and is often seen as survivable if the creative talent did manage to create something compelling before that point. So I think the idea that Disney fired them, while not impossible, is also not hugely likely. Netflix simply outbid them and gave them a lot more money.

There's also the fact that Star Wars itself was getting completely retooled at the time and the D&D movie was being kicked further and further down the road (as Rian Johnson's has been), and when the Netflix offer came along they may have talked to Lucasfilm about it and everyone was in agreement that they could move on and get a payday, no harm no foul.

It is somewhat gratifying though that HBO did realise - belatedly - that maybe the positives of GoT came much more from George's story and characters, and less from D&D's changes, which is why after D&D managed to fuck up the Confederate pitch so completely that they were happy to join forces with George and double down with him on the spin-off projects, and see to have been perfectly happy to let D&D go (ignoring the fact that some of the negatives with Thrones - such as the directive to have as much T&A on screen as humanly possible regardless of story logic - do seem to have come from HBO themselves).

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

All signs point to it. After the sequel trilogy, becoming a part of Star Wars may have seemed less appealing to them. But  if you would rather hold on to your conspiracy theory based on hate, not logic, that’s your business.

Edited by Dragon in the North

50 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It is somewhat gratifying though that HBO did realise - belatedly - that maybe the positives of GoT came much more from George's story and characters, and less from D&D's changes, which is why after D&D managed to fuck up the Confederate pitch so completely that they were happy to join forces with George and double down with him on the spin-off projects, and see to have been perfectly happy to let D&D go (ignoring the fact that some of the negatives with Thrones - such as the directive to have as much T&A on screen as humanly possible regardless of story logic - do seem to have come from HBO themselves).

I wouldn’t be so sure. GOT’s popularity skyrocketed after they left the books behind and that’s around the time they started winning Emmys. Also, half of GOT was made up of original content.

I could be wrong, but didn’t HBO ask D&D to executive produce House of the Dragon and they’re the ones who turned them down?

2 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

All signs point to it. After the sequel trilogy, becoming a part of Star Wars may have seemed less appealing to them. But  if you would rather hold on to your conspiracy theory based on hate, not logic, that’s your business.

Riiight. It's a "conspiracy theory", while the idea that someone dropped a deal to do Star Wars movies because they were so sought after (right after the backlash over a terrible final season), is the obviously realistic one. :closedeyes:

Chances are not that bad that, in addition to the complete quality drop in original GoT writing, in addition to reports about their unprofessional behavior and their complete lack of modesty in that department as well as their talk in Austin did have some impact on how they are viewed in the industry now.

It is one thing if 'fans are disappointed' with the ending of a show, and quite another if there are a lot of reports about those people not really being all that good - and whatever success they had having little to do with whatever they did.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Riiight. It's a "conspiracy theory", while the idea that someone dropped a deal to do Star Wars movies because they were so sought after (right after the backlash over a terrible final season), is the obviously realistic one. :closedeyes:

If it was reported that they left Star Wars with no backup plan, you might be on to something, but that’s not what happened. They left Star Wars after taking a$250 million deal with Netflix, indicating that they found a better offer. That, plus all of the reports say that they left Star Wars for Netflix. Until you can prove otherwise, you’re merely pushing a conspiracy theory.

Edited by Dragon in the North

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Chances are not that bad that, in addition to the complete quality drop in original GoT writing, in addition to reports about their unprofessional behavior and their complete lack of modesty in that department as well as their talk in Austin did have some impact on how they are viewed in the industry now.

It is one thing if 'fans are disappointed' with the ending of a show, and quite another if there are a lot of reports about those people not really being all that good - and whatever success they had having little to do with whatever they did.

It’s only your opinion that there was a quality drop. What reports are you talking about? All the cast and crew had nothing but nice things to say about their working relationship with D&D. As for their talk in Austin, I think I know what you’re referring to, in which case there was nothing wrong with it. A Twitter user massively mischaracterized the things they said. A tape regarding the conference tells the real story.

https://watchersonthewall.com/benioff-weiss-reflect-decade-game-thrones-austin-film-festival/

On 1/24/2021 at 8:18 AM, Annara Snow said:

Why on Earth/Planetos would HBO wish that?!

On 1/22/2021 at 8:06 AM, FictionIsntReal said:

As for why HBO would want him, it's because he made their biggest show of all time, and they wanted more seasons of that show but he & Dan decided to end it. Just like how Vince Gilligan was given carte blanche by AMC for Better Call Saul after he made Breaking Bad. You might think HBO would change their mind after the complaints about the final season, but they only care about subscription numbers. The finale of Dexter was even more hated, but Scott Buck (who didn't even create that show, and was only showrunner during the most critically derided seasons) was picked by Marvel's TV division to create multiple shows for them (each of which was poorly received and only lasted one season). That's because people (other than me) kept watching Dexter all the way to the end.

Netflix is stuck with him now.

Netflix paid a massive amount after GoT ended.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:48 AM, Annara Snow said:

Yep, Benioff and Weiss have been in such a hot demand after the GoT ended. That's why the Star Wars franchise is so happy to have them,... oh wait.

From my link on their Netflix deal: "This follows a three-way bidding war that had recently narrowed from the six major studios to Netflix, Amazon and Disney."

Yep, they were in hot demand after GoT ended.

That's why the Star Wars franchise is so happy to have them,... oh wait.

A lot of people have come and gone through Star Wars under Disney.

On 1/24/2021 at 3:37 PM, Annara Snow said:

As I said, there are actual news stories you can read about the bidding war over them, if you actually cared to inform yourself about the TV business. That business does not have the same priorities as fans of the books.

24 minutes ago, FictionIsntReal said:

As I said, there are actual news stories you can read about the bidding war over them, if you actually cared to inform yourself about the TV business. That business does not have the same priorities as fans of the books.

Oh right, I forgot that it's just "fans of the books" that hated the final season. Otherwise it was just super popular... Audiences and the public have been praising the GoT ending so much... :D

Just now, FictionIsntReal said:

HBO cares whether people kept watching, not whether they complained.

See, how this goes is this: when people complain about a terrible ending, they have no option to stop watching that show, since it's ended. Instead, they decide not to keep watching the next thing.

29 minutes ago, FictionIsntReal said:

A lot of people have come and gone through Star Wars under Disney.

They've gone before they've come.

11 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Oh right, I forgot that it's just "fans of the books" that hated the final season. Otherwise it was just super popular... Audiences and the public have been praising the GoT ending so much... :D

The finale was the most watched episode in HBO history, GOT was the most in-demand show of 2020, and the season 8 Blu Ray topped the sales charts. I think it’s safe to say people enjoyed it.

12 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

They've gone before they've come.

Here is an article about their departure from Star Wars. As you can see, it had nothing to do with the reaction to the final season:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-star-wars-didnt-work-game-thrones-duo-1250798?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Breaking News_now_2019-10-30 14:42:05_ehayden&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

28 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

The finale was the most watched episode in HBO history, GOT was the most in-demand show of 2020, and the season 8 Blu Ray topped the sales charts. I think it’s safe to say people enjoyed it.

Oh, dear.  It's really cute that you want to believe that.

But maybe  try to go out of your bubble sometimes and see how actual people felt about it? It's impossible to go anywhere online where people talk about TV and not see people talk about how horrible the finale was. And that's the general audience and show-fans, not even hardcore fans or book fans. In the actual reality, people on any random website/YouTube/any social media and IRL are talking about GoT as the worst series finale and final season of all time or one of the worst. Memes with GoT actors making faces while answering to questions about the final season. People on random websites and social media react to news about the prequels by saying they don't want to watch anything GoT related after how the show ended, while some say they only might give it a chance if the GoT showrunners aren't involved in any way.

I'm only mentioning all this because of the possibility that you have been living in a cave outside of the society for the last two years, avoiding social media and getting your only info about anything from the fans of season 8 who hang out on this forum and WatchersontheWall or wherever, so you managed to miss the public's reaction to the GoT season 8, unlike the majority of world's population.

Edited by Annara Snow

13 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Oh, dear.  It's really cute that you want to believe that.

But maybe  try to go out of your bubble sometimes and see how actual people felt about it? It's impossible to go anywhere online where people talk about TV and not see people talk about how horrible the finale was. And that's the general audience and show-fans, not even hardcore fans or book fans. In the actual reality, people on any random website/YouTube/any social media and IRL are talking about GoT as the worst series finale and final season of all time or one of the worst. Memes with GoT actors making faces while answering to questions about the final season. People on random websites and social media react to news about the prequels by saying they don't want to watch anything GoT related after how the show ended, while some say they only might give it a chance if the GoT showrunners aren't involved in any way.

I'm only mentioning all this because of the possibility that you have been living in a cave outside of the society for the last two years, avoiding social media and getting your only info about anything from the fans of season 8 who hang out on this forum and WatchersontheWall or wherever, so you managed to miss the public's reaction to the GoT season 8, unlike the majority of world's population.

Oh, my sweet summer child. It’s called the vocal minority for a reason. The online fandom is merely a very small faction and don’t even come close to representing the opinions of the fandom as a whole. Look at Star Wars, for instance. The online backlash against The Last Jedi was huge, yet The Rise of Skywalker still made over a billion dollars. If that didn’t teach you that online reaction means nothing I don’t know what will. 

Again, the GOT finale was the most watched episode in HBO history, season 8 earned 32 Emmy nominations, winning 12, including Best Drama, GOT was the most in-demand show of 2020, and season 8 topped the Blu Ray sales charts. Those are indisputable facts, but don’t let that stop you from creating conspiracy theories.

2 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Oh, my sweet summer child. It’s called the vocal minority for a reason. The online fandom is merely a very small faction and don’t even come close to representing the opinions of the fandom as a whole. Look at Star Wars, for instance. The online backlash against The Last Jedi was huge, yet The Rise of Skywalker still made over a billion dollars. If that didn’t teach you that online reaction means nothing I don’t know what will. 

Again, the GOT finale was the most watched episode in HBO history, season 8 earned 32 Emmy nominations, winning 12, including Best Drama, GOT was the most in-demand show of 2020, and season 8 topped the Blu Ray sales charts. Those are indisputable facts, but don’t let that stop you from creating conspiracy theories.

Yeah. Ever heard of that conspiracy theory that the Earth is round? It's just a vocal minority saying that.

The majority are all those people who are being magically silent and no one ever hears from it but whose opinions you are in the unique position to know due to reasons. :bowdown:

21 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Yeah. Ever heard of that conspiracy theory that the Earth is round? It's just a vocal minority saying that.

The majority are all those people who are being magically silent and no one ever hears from it but whose opinions you are in the unique position to know due to reasons. :bowdown:

The earth being round is backed up by scientific facts, and that’s what I’m doing. Using facts to support my argument. You should try doing the same. All the facts I listed are concrete and clearly point to the final season being highly popular, and you can’t even begin to counter them.