HBO Planning Dunk and Egg, Other Thrones-properties

Westeros

I don’t think Hibberd did anything wrong. If the rumor falls flat, big deal. Reports like this are largely made to gauge public interest anyway.

Speaking of which, I’m fascinated by the online response. It appears to be truly split, with half being thrilled and the other half filled with dread/trepidation/annoyance. Dany fans are the most interesting: some are outraged that Jonny boy would get a spin-off after killing their queen, others are desperately hoping Dany will be resurrected (I wouldn’t count on that; it’s hard to come back from slaughtering an entire city. Although I guess if they wanted to really go crazy, they could resurrect Dany and have her “redeem” herself),

If I had to guess, this show is going to be designed to “fix” S8: re-introduction of the White Walkers, a Val-like love interest, Jon as king of a reunited Westeros by the end of the series. It seems unlikely that they’d get the other remaining characters back, but most of the actors’ careers haven’t really taken off since the show ended. I’m sure they miss the paychecks.

Unfortunately, it seems inevitable at this point that HBO is going to burn through ASOIAF pretty fast. I love the world GRRM created, but it’s not a mass content-producing IP like Marvel and Star Wars. There’s going to be GOT fatigue.

Will this announcement make people more or less interested in HOTD? It could reignite interest in the world, but it could also make people feel less inclined to watch it since they’ll be getting their GOT fix this way.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I don’t think Hibberd did anything wrong. If the rumor falls flat, big deal. Reports like this are largely made to gauge public interest anyway.

Speaking of which, I’m fascinated by the online response. It appears to be truly split, with half being thrilled and the other half filled with dread/trepidation/annoyance. Dany fans are the most interesting: some are outraged that Jonny boy would get a spin-off after killing their queen, others are desperately hoping Dany will be resurrected (I wouldn’t count on that; it’s hard to come back from slaughtering an entire city. Although I guess if they wanted to really go crazy, they could resurrect Dany and have her “redeem” herself),

If I had to guess, this show is going to be designed to “fix” S8: re-introduction of the White Walkers, a Val-like love interest, Jon as king of a reunited Westeros by the end of the series. It seems unlikely that they’d get the other remaining characters back, but most of the actors’ careers haven’t really taken off since the show ended. I’m sure they miss the paychecks.

Unfortunately, it seems inevitable at this point that HBO is going to burn through ASOIAF pretty fast. I love the world GRRM created, but it’s not a mass content-producing IP like Marvel and Star Wars. There’s going to be GOT fatigue.

Will this announcement make people more or less interested in HOTD? It could reignite interest in the world, but it could also make people feel less inclined to watch it since they’ll be getting their GOT fix this way.

I hope and pray they don’t go for a Jon/Sandra romance.

I think most Dany fans would be content if Sandra’s neck was introduced to Longclaw.

19 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I don’t think Hibberd did anything wrong. If the rumor falls flat, big deal. Reports like this are largely made to gauge public interest anyway..

Yeah, Hibberd has a bad reputation around here, but the trades wouldn't report this if there was absolutely nothing to it.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

If I had to guess, this show is going to be designed to “fix” S8: re-introduction of the White Walkers, a Val-like love interest, Jon as king of a reunited Westeros by the end of the series

Would George really be OK with HBO retconning the ending of his own series, before he even gets to write it himself no less? Are my expectations of him too high by assuming he'd have a problem with that? 

Also, re-introducing the White Walkers after it was established they all died during the Long Night is getting dangerously close to "Somehow, Palpatine returned" territory. At this point I'm half-expecting the Night King's return to be announced on Fortnite. 

Edited by aromaticanalysis

51 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Are you so sure?

So are you upset about the possibility of a Jon Snow spin-off, or just that JH reported it?

11 minutes ago, aromaticanalysis said:

Would George really be OK with HBO retconning the ending of his own series, before he even gets to write it himself no less? Are my expectations of him too high by assuming he'd have a problem with that? 

Also, re-introducing the White Walkers after it was established they all died during the Long Night is getting dangerously close to "Somehow, Palpatine returned" territory. At this point I'm half-expecting the Night King's return to be announced on Fortnite. 

I don’t think he really gets a say, to be honest. He sold the rights to HBO. He’s collaborating on lots of prequels, HBO probably feels like it’s fine to go forth with a sequel in addition to them.

I don't believe HBO will try to retcon Season 8. It'll admit weakness. But there's certainly room for "And then what happens?" for Jon, Tormund, the wildlings, the North, and "Yaaaas!" Queen Sansa. Not anything I'm interested in, but there clearly are people who are and would embrace a good show furthering the story, especially if it provides a greater sense of closure on the emotional journey of the characters.

Edited by Ran

12 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I don’t think he really gets a say, to be honest. He sold the rights to HBO. He’s collaborating on lots of prequels, HBO probably feels like it’s fine to go forth with a sequel in addition to them.

The funny thing is that if this leads to an Arya sequel in the future, it will be the third Westeros show about sea voyages. :D

14 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

The funny thing is that if this leads to an Arya sequel in the future, it will be the third Westeros show about sea voyages. :D

It wouldn’t surprise me if both Nymeria and Sea Snake shows don’t make it past the pilot stage. Sea Snake depends entirely on how well-received Corlys is on HOTD. Show fans hated Dorne, which makes Nymeria an odd choice—if anything, it seems like they’re trying to re-create the Daenerys phenomenon. But you can’t capture lightning in a bottle twice.

16 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

(sigh)   So it goes.

(throws my drink glass at the wall, shattering to pieces)

(with calm resignation)  If anyone needs me I'll be relaxing in the pool...

Don’t be too sullen. If your leak about Aegon the Conqueror’s WW prophecy is correct, this could be how they improve on it. Perhaps the WW were the puppets of an even bigger threat, and this time the last Targ (Jon) actually defeats them. In a lot of ways, this is what the Clone Wars did for the Star Wars prequels, filling in the gaps and making the story more meaningful. 

34 minutes ago, Ran said:

I don't believe HBO will try to retcon Season 8. It'll admit weakness. But there's certainly room for "And then what happens?" for Jon, Tormund, the wildlings, the North, and "Yaaaas!" Queen Sansa. Not anything I'm interested in, but there clearly are people who are and would embrace a good show furthering the story, especially if it provides a greater sense of closure on the emotional journey of the characters.

I think it depends on which actors they can get back. If Sophie is willing to be a regular, then I agree we’ll get a lot of yaaas kween-ing. If not, they’ll probably kill Sansa off off-screen (or with one cameo scene where she names Jon her heir), forcing him to take up the mantle of leading the North once again. The butterflies have probably already gotten Grey Worm, so who’s gonna stop him? They didn’t care when he left the Watch the first time.

12 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if both Nymeria and Sea Snake shows don’t make it past the pilot stage. Sea Snake depends entirely on how well-received Corlys is on HOTD. Show fans hated Dorne, which makes Nymeria an odd choice—if anything, it seems like they’re trying to re-create the Daenerys phenomenon. But you can’t capture lightning in a bottle twice.

I don't know. I guess someone at HBO is a sailing enthusiast, so they might as well do a series about Elissa Farman while they're at it. 

....thinking on it...I seriously think it's possible - maybe not "likely", but "plausible" - that HBO intentionally "leaked" a FAKE rumor about a Jon Snow SEQUEL to Game of Thrones, to Hibberd...purely to get "Game of Thrones" as a franchise trending in news sites today, Friday, right before they drop the full House of the Dragon trailer on Sunday.

Why do I think it's Sunday? Because it's exactly two months before the premiere. That, and their social media accounts on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram have been suddenly reposting old screenshots from the first teaser again, after a month of inactivity.  Something is coming.

Could Hibberd's "leak" have something to do with that?

Because if it's just a marketing stunt...I'm okay with Hibberd being part of that. We do what it takes to win this game. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

But again, why was this announced as a Jon Snow spinoff, and not as season 9 of GoT?

4 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But again, why was this announced as a Jon Snow spinoff, and not as season 9 of GoT?

Because it's not Game of Thrones season 9, obviously.

40 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

....thinking on it...I seriously think it's possible - maybe not "likely", but "plausible" - that HBO intentionally "leaked" a FAKE rumor about a Jon Snow SEQUEL to Game of Thrones, to Hibberd...purely to get "Game of Thrones" as a franchise trending in news sites today, Friday, right before they drop the full House of the Dragon trailer on Sunday.

Why do I think it's Sunday? Because it's exactly two months before the premiere. That, and their social media accounts on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram have been suddenly reposting old screenshots from the first teaser again, after a month of inactivity.  Something is coming.

Could Hibberd's "leak" have something to do with that?

Because if it's just a marketing stunt...I'm okay with Hibberd being part of that. We do what it takes to win this game. 

Wouldn’t the Jon Snow rumor overshadow HOTD? And does HBO ever release trailers on Sundays?