HBO Planning Dunk and Egg, Other Thrones-properties

Westeros

48 minutes ago, Ran said:

Because it's not Game of Thrones season 9, obviously.

But technically it would be, in all but name. Especially if several other main characters become involved, which is quite likely. Just like The Book of Boba Fett basically became Mandalorian season 3 because they couldn't live without Baby Yoda.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't believe HBO will try to retcon Season 8. It'll admit weakness. But there's certainly room for "And then what happens?" for Jon, Tormund, the wildlings, the North, and "Yaaaas!" Queen Sansa.

Agreed, I'd think the most sensible pitch would be trying what Dexter did.  Not retconning the show but trying to give fans a more satisfying ending.  And hey, while the Dexter reboot was pretty middling, it was a hell of a lot better than its last season.

18 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But technically it would be, in all but name. Especially if several other main characters become involved, which is quite likely. Just like The Book of Boba Fett basically became Mandalorian season 3 because they couldn't live without Baby Yoda.

If it doesn't have _all_ the major characters involved and it isn't telling a story about the war for the throne or the Long Night, it's not Game of Thrones. Like, is Better Call Saul just Breaking Bad the Prequel, despite featuring some of its characters? No.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Pretty sure the full trailer for the show will be timed with Comic Con, not this Sunday.

Agreed. I expect they’ll do a huge panel. They’re probably posting quotes and images right now so that the show doesn’t completely fade from public consciousness. Maybe we’ll get some more stills before Comic-Con.

Has anyone here ever been to Comic-Con, either in NY or San Diego? I’d like to go myself one day.

GRRM shared an HBO post a few months ago with nine frogs, which people interpreted to mean there’s nine shows in development. Now we’re at eight: HOTD, Nymeria, Sea Snake, DnE, Jon Snow, Yi Ti, and two other animated projects. So there’s one more that’ll probably be leaked soonish so HBO can gauge if anyone’s interested in it.

Hopefully George will write FnB2 eventually so we can get Westerosi Tudors with Aegon IV.

Then again, I do think HBO is going to burn through ASOIAF pretty fast. It’s not as big of a world as Marvel or Star Wars, and too many of the characters all look the same (Targaryens). The only way to really expand may be to go a century or two in the future.

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

GRRM shared an HBO post a few months ago with nine frogs, which people interpreted to mean there’s nine shows in development. Now we’re at eight: HOTD, Nymeria, Sea Snake, DnE, Jon Snow, Yi Ti, and two other animated projects. So there’s one more that’ll probably be leaked soonish so HBO can gauge if anyone’s interested in it.

A cooking show featuring Hot Pie?

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Adding fuel to the "this was a marketing stunt by HBO, to create buzz for the House of the Dragon full trailer coming this Sunday" theory....

House of the Dragon just had a big "wrap party".

Apparently distinct from the filming wrap party back in February. The one today Saturday must have been for the post-production editing team - after all, GRRM said last week that he'd seen finished rough cuts for nine out of ten episodes. 

If it was a marketing stunt then it failed, because if anything it totally overshadowed HOTD. People are clearly more interested in the possibility of more Jon Snow than another doomed Targ queen.

38 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I'm not claiming there's a "conspiracy theory". 

I'm saying Hibberd et al are so short sighted and so tone deaf that yeah, I think they're ...the "kind" of people who would be capable of something that stupid. Doesn't automatically mean they WILL, of course.

Just....if you sat down and read Hibberd's tone-deaf, pandering book, if you sat through all the pandering interviews he's done over the years.... yeah, I really think he's that tone deaf. I don't think he'd consider the repercussions.

Did he consider the "repercussions" of fan outrage after that insulting final SDCC panel, where he intentionally skipped the allotted fan Q&A at the end?  This is demonstrably a man who doesn't think about repercussions.

of course...it's possible we'll get a trailer soon by pure coincidence. That proves nothing :) --- The issue is if they admit "we were just building hype".  

Either way I'm refreshing my news feed every few minutes today.

But WHAT did Variety and Deadline "confirm"?  Something on this scale would need to be "confirmed" by HBO, GRRM, Harington...we have none of that. Because did they "confirm" they were "discussing it" or "had already greenlit a 10 episode series?" ---- Due to the echo chamber of news media right now, casual news sites are reporting as FACT that a 10 episode series is "confirmed". 

If they weren’t considering a Jon Snow series, then Kit’s reps would have denied it immediately. Just think about how quickly the Harry Potter actors shoot down these rumors every time someone tries to claim there will be another movie, or how often Chris Evans has to deny returning as Captain America. His agent/publisher has probably been fielding calls for days now. One “no” is all it takes to make that stop.

If it’s the person that broke the news that bothers you, then take solace in it being confirmed by other outlets unaffiliated with him. If you’re worried about him doing more Comic Cons, well, to be honest, most fans don’t care about panels or press junkets. They care about the finished product. Most people don’t know or care about the Austin Film Festival. They know that the show fell flat on its face, and that’s what ruined D&D’s reputation, not anything else.

18 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Let's not forget that Hibberd isn't just associated with David Benioff. He had direct access to GRRM and many other people while writing Fire Cannot Kill A Dragon. The man has connections.

Exactly. He spent the better part of a decade covering the show for EW, including multiple set visits.

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Let's not forget that Hibberd isn't just associated with David Benioff. He had direct access to GRRM and many other people while writing Fire Cannot Kill A Dragon. The man has connections.

Indeed.

I can't believe I have to spell this out, but... just look at who is said to not provide comment on the scoop by all three sites (THRVariety, and Deadline): Kit Harington and his representatives, and HBO.

So who provided the scoop to THR that the latter two sites would be able to independently approach to confirm based on the information they have? They go to HBO and they go to Kit Harington and both parties tell them no comment. Who else could they possibly turn to to confirm Hibberd's scoop?

GRRM or his representatives. Vince Gerardis or his representatives. That's pretty much it. This is part of why I don't doubt this is actually a thing, but how much of a thing -- Deadline says exploratory, Hibberd says early development, might be six of one, half a dozen of the other -- is a question mark.

Edited by Ran

19 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I don't think neither HBO nor Kit Harrington actually refuted anything, they just said they wouldn't comment.

By "tell them no", I meant "no comment".

The point is, Variety and Deadline confirmed with someone who they knew to likely be in the know on such a project who is not HBO and who is not Kit Harington. It narrows it down a lot.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I can't believe I have to spell this out, but... just look at who is said to not provide comment on the scoop by all three sites (THRVariety, and Deadline): Kit Harington and his representatives, and HBO.

So who provided the scoop to THR that the latter two sites would be able to independently approach to confirm based on the information they have? They go to HBO and they go to Kit Harington and both parties tell them no comment. Who else could they possibly turn to to confirm Hibberd's scoop?

Yeah, the no comments by Harington's camp and HBO is all the confirmation you need.