HBO Planning Dunk and Egg, Other Thrones-properties

Westeros

4 hours ago, Ran said:

The point is, Variety and Deadline confirmed with someone who they knew to likely be in the know on such a project who is not HBO and who is not Kit Harington. It narrows it down a lot.

Yeah, definitely. I would think that since all the trades scooped this up, the show must surely be further along than casual talks around the office at HBO.

Edit: Now Joanna Robinson says that GRRM is "all in" on this, whatever that means.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Indeed.

I can't believe I have to spell this out, but... just look at who is said to not provide comment on the scoop by all three sites (THRVariety, and Deadline): Kit Harington and his representatives, and HBO.

So who provided the scoop to THR that the latter two sites would be able to independently approach to confirm based on the information they have? They go to HBO and they go to Kit Harington and both parties tell them no comment. Who else could they possibly turn to to confirm Hibberd's scoop?

GRRM or his representatives. Vince Gerardis or his representatives. That's pretty much it. This is part of why I don't doubt this is actually a thing, but how much of a thing -- Deadline says exploratory, Hibberd says early development, might be six of one, half a dozen of the other -- is a question mark.

Hmm interesting. I just assumed that there was a source at HBO who had gotten the green light to anonymously leak info to certain reporters. 

One theory I’m seeing is that this might be a way to incorporate plot lines from the books that were cut from the show. As Takie mentioned, now Joanna Robinson says there’s a rumor that George is heavily involved in this. Looks like it’s fAegon time! 

I take something explicitly called a rumor with a big grain of salt. That said, Robinson has her contacts and sources, so who knows. Given that it's early days yet, we'll have to wait and see how things shake out.

And of course, no trailer.

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I was wrong: this past Sunday was not 2 months before the premiere but NINE weeks out. NEXT weekend is two months out…and also the big Westworld season 4 premiere…

Sounds strikingly like The Reasonabilists from Parks and Rec:

Herb:  Frankly, Leslie, I'm shocked.  All the scholarly work that I did on these texts indicated that the world would end.

Leslie:  Oh, gosh, I'm as disappointed as you are, Herb.

Herb:  Yeah, but when the world did not end, I went home and began to reevaluate the texts.

Leslie:  You don't say.

Herb:  And I realized that I'd made some crucial errors.

Leslie:  Well, math is hard.

Herb:  Yes, well, the actual end of the world is six months from now.

Leslie:  Great! 

Herb:  Yeah.  May 19th.

Leslie:  Okay, let's see what we've got.  Um, oh, on the 19th we can't give you the park.  We have a spring spectacular free ice cream giveaway.

Herb:  Oh...Oh...look here.  Heh, I misspoke!  Yeah, it's May 20? 

Leslie:  That is free.

Herb:  Ah!  Ok.  End of World, May 20th.

Leslie:  That's great.

Herb:  Um...Oh, and could you put aside 10 tickets for that ice cream thing?

Leslie:  Already did.

9 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I was wrong: this past Sunday was not 2 months before the premiere but NINE weeks out. NEXT weekend is two months out…and also the big Westworld season 4 premiere…

Does HBO normally release trailers that way though? They don’t have commercials, so most people would miss it unless they tuned in early/kept watching afterwards.

They’ve already done two teaser trailers. I doubt they’ll release another before Comic Con. Hopefully we’ll get some new pictures though.

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2021 at 7:24 PM, Lord Varys said:

Yes, very much so. They could easily jump ahead and do stuff with aging Augustus/Livia and the grown up children.

But Dunk & Egg cannot reasonably be more than a limited series - a couple of episodes per novella could be possible if you really focus on the entirety of the stories - and perhaps even work with flashbacks and long scenes of dialogue for the death of the last dragon, the Blackfyre Rebellion stuff, Bloodraven, etc. - but a proper show is out of the question for this unless they ignore that the novellas aren't finished yet.

And TMK doesn't exactly have any kind of ending, so this really feels odd.

I guess one could wrap it up for the time being if there was some sort of temporary closure by ending things with Dunk & Egg going to Summerhall or King's Landing to live there for a while, but the way those stories are this isn't material for a longer series.

I mean, George has already outlined the basic of their lives in a way that Fire and Blood can. We know that Ser Dunk becomes Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, that he partiocipates in the Blackfyre Rebellion (multiple times), and that he eventually has the tragedy at Summerhall. Those are novellas yet to be written but it's not like we're lacking in material that could be mined from aside from the trilogy.

21 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean, George has already outlined the basic of their lives in a way that Fire and Blood can. We know that Ser Dunk becomes Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, that he partiocipates in the Blackfyre Rebellion (multiple times), and that he eventually has the tragedy at Summerhall. Those are novellas yet to be written but it's not like we're lacking in material that could be mined from aside from the trilogy.

Sure enough. But I really don't want to watch a show based on what outlines or ideas George has for future stories. I want such a show to be an adaptation of existing novellas.

Equally, I also want to read the Dunk & Egg stories in their entirety first before we get a FaB volume covering their reigns of Aerys I to Aegon V. Part of the fun of those stories are the historical details, and they work much better if they do gradual reveals rather than giving everything away.

For what it’s worth, they don’t have to adapt the entirety of Dunk and Egg’s lives to screen. They could always just adapt their youthful adventures and stop long before Aegon becomes king, which means they wouldn’t have to switch actors for Egg. Or they could stop with the birth of Duncan the Small, since that would probably be a sweet place to end. Churchill had an eventful life, but most movies about him just focus on the WWII years, right? They could do that for fictional characters too. Not to mention that, assuming HOTD has a full run, people are probably going to be a bit tired of the Iron Throne by that point, and especially of Targs dying in fiery infernos.

When the talk of spin-offs first started, George had said there were no plans to adapt DnE because he wanted to finish the books first. But according to the THR article, he had pitched both HOTD and DnE at the same time. I don’t blame George for not wanting to admit that, but I do wonder what the plan was there.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Sure enough. But I really don't want to watch a show based on what outlines or ideas George has for future stories. I want such a show to be an adaptation of existing novellas.

Equally, I also want to read the Dunk & Egg stories in their entirety first before we get a FaB volume covering their reigns of Aerys I to Aegon V. Part of the fun of those stories are the historical details, and they work much better if they do gradual reveals rather than giving everything away.

1. Ehh, while true I think House of the Dragon certainly looks like it's going to be fantastic. It has all of the story beats I think you need to get to do the "Game of Thrones spiel."

2. I admit I would never get what I would most want from D&E, which is the "slice of life" ness that makes the books so much fun. D&E almost make you want the Targaryens back before Fire and Blood ruins that illusion forever.

3. Certainly, D&E are the show I want most after House of the Dragon. I'd hope they'd do Aegon's conquest or Robert's Rebellion as well over entirely new material like they keep trying to push.

(I'll make an exception for Snow but I have no idea how that show will work)

4. Robert's Rebellion would also function primarily on the Phantom Menace style of "How did we get here?" Presumably with enough original characters to care about the fates of as well as answering questions.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

• 1 month later...

I'd like some sort of anthology show, along the lines of the Disney/Marvel What If. "Tales of the World of Ice and Fire" or something, just picking one-shot stories embedded in George's stories about past events without committing to having to create a full series.

For example, an animated interpretation of the "song of the winter rose", about Bael the Bard and the Stark's maiden daughter, etc. Or an animation inspired by Meera's account of the knight of the laughing tree.

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I'd like some sort of anthology show, along the lines of the Disney/Marvel What If. "Tales of the World of Ice and Fire" or something, just picking one-shot stories embedded in George's stories about past events without committing to having to create a full series.

For example, an animated interpretation of the "song of the winter rose", about Bael the Bard and the Stark's maiden daughter, etc. Or an animation inspired by Meera's account of the knight of the laughing tree.

Tales of Ice and Fire anthology series would be amazing!

22 hours ago, LordImp said:

Any thoughts about what the animated series could be about? There's three in development and one is about the golden empire of Yi Ti. In my opinion Valyria, Age of Heroes and the Andal invasion could work in animation. 

I think it would be interesting to resurrect Flea Bottom or Spear Carriers as an animated show. A big problem with both ideas - showing the flipside of GoT events via the "little people" just trying to get on with their lives (although I think Flea Bottom was maybe minimising that idea and focusing more on new stories in King's Landing) - was how you intersect the new material with the old material, since you obviously can't get back 12-year-old Maisie Williams to record new footage, or even bringing back the adult actors who are obviously a lot older and maybe in other projects.

Do it as animation, though, and you can either just animate the original characters and bring back the actors, or even just re-use the dialogue tracks from the OG series to do your Rosencrantz and Guildenstern narrative.

• 4 months later...

So it sounds like Steve Conrad may have left D&E? There wasn’t any official news about it, but it’s not listed on his IMDb page. It wouldn’t surprise me if HBO was worried about adapting another unfinished series, and it could be confusing to some viewers if it aired alongside HOTD, especially if the former references the latter.

I don’t think we’re going to be getting an animated show anytime soon either, judging by recent decisions at HBO. It looks like Disney /Pixar/Lucasfilm is still the only company willing to fully invest in animation.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

So it sounds like Steve Conrad may have left D&E? There wasn’t any official news about it, but it’s not listed on his IMDb page.

It's under the In Development section for those who have IMDB Pro subscriptions. They've been moving more and more to their subscription-only service, so I'm guessing that's why it's no longer listed under the main page.

Edited by Ran

• 4 months later...
On 8/27/2022 at 5:01 AM, Ran said:

That’s what I hope one of the three animated projects is: an anthology covering all sorts of things. Like a high budget version of the Histories & Lore videos.

• 2 months later...