How many mercenaries could you hired for a year with 500k or million gold dragons

Mrstrategy

Pay must be at least ten gold dragons per head.  Food and fodder, similarly. You don’t pay for mercenaries’ horses or equipment, but you’re then looking at an uplift of probably 35%, to produce a profit for the captain-general, his captains, and their lieutenants. 

So, I’d guess 500,000 gold dragons gets you 18,000 mercenaries for twelve months.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, SeanF said:

Pay must be at least ten gold dragons per head.  Food and fodder, similarly. You don’t pay for mercenaries’ horses or equipment, but you’re then looking at an uplift of probably 35%, to produce a profit for the captain-general, his captains, and their lieutenants. 

Do you think this metric would hold for Unsullied?   I'm thinking they have to be worth more, or why even bother with sellswords when you can just buy Unsullied?  At the risk of sounding crass, own rather than rent. 

Yes, Westeros is offended by slavery, but most of Essos isn't.  Yet sellsword companies are hired all over Essos.  If sellswords are such a poor value, why don't the Masters that train the Unsullied just franchise in other cities?   The only way I can make this work is if Unsullied sell for something closer to 500 gold or more per Unsullied.  If that were the case, you'd only get 1000 Unsullied for 500,000 gold dragons.  That would make theme prohibitively expensive for all but the wealthiest persons, and would also demonstrate how valuable a baby dragon truly is in the eyes of Essos.  

3 hours ago, aeverett said:

Do you think this metric would hold for Unsullied?   I'm thinking they have to be worth more, or why even bother with sellswords when you can just buy Unsullied?  At the risk of sounding crass, own rather than rent. 

Yes, Westeros is offended by slavery, but most of Essos isn't.  Yet sellsword companies are hired all over Essos.  If sellswords are such a poor value, why don't the Masters that train the Unsullied just franchise in other cities?   The only way I can make this work is if Unsullied sell for something closer to 500 gold or more per Unsullied.  If that were the case, you'd only get 1000 Unsullied for 500,000 gold dragons.  That would make theme prohibitively expensive for all but the wealthiest persons, and would also demonstrate how valuable a baby dragon truly is in the eyes of Essos.  

Assuming you got twenty years service per Unsullied, then applying a discount for one lump sum payment, perhaps 300,000 gold dragons per thousand.  That said, there may be a mark-up for Unsullied. 

A baby dragon might therefore, be worth 2.4 m gold dragons.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, SeanF said:

So, I’d guess 500,000 gold dragons gets you 18,000 mercenaries for twelve months.

Where does the 10g/head figure come from? I would guess that it would fluctuate depending on the quality of the company and the current demand for sellswords, no?

Archived