Which of the nine Free Cities would you choose to receive more attention from GRR Martin?

Tukata12

20 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

I think that Gerold Dayne is one of the Stony Dornish cultists that you speak of.

As do I. Amonst the Vulture King details is a pattern of blood sacrifie by limb removal and in one case facial mutilation.

The Vulture King is half-mad, and his followers are a rabble, undiciplined and unwashed" Lord Harmon Dondarrion wrote to the king, "We can smell them coming fifty leauges away." Not long after, that selfsame rabble stormed and seized his castle of Blackhaven.  The Vulture King personal silced off Dondarrion's nose before putting Blackhaven to the tourch and marching away. - Fire and Blood

It was kingsblood Georld Dayne drew from his cut on Myrcella's face.

Coming back onto thread tangent though, Vargo Hoat who was of Qohor was also apt to sever limbs while wearing a goat helm which could only be described as a pious display of devotion to the Black Goat.

One truth remains undisputed, however: The dark god of Qohor, the deity known as the Black Goat, demands daily blood sacrifice. - TWOIAF

1 hour ago, BlackLightning said:

Bastards still apparently count as kingsblood. And the Lannisters were kings long before the Starks were

Loreon I Lannister was the first Lannister king and not Lann the Clever from whom they claim descent. Brandon the Builder was the first Stark King and he belonged to the Age of Heroes generation, Lann the clever's and not Loreon's. So I see that Starks are older. As Kings and otherwise. Anyway since only a few generations difference in the 8000+ yrs history, virtually same equal age of origin as rulers and houses,

Sorry for sidetracking

At this juncture I would say Myr. Formerly Lorath as the least-explored city, but Lorath got a ton of development in WoIaF, and I think that drops Myr into the category of the city we know the least about and the most ripe for exploration.

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

At this juncture I would say Myr. Formerly Lorath as the least-explored city, but Lorath got a ton of development in WoIaF, and I think that drops Myr into the category of the city we know the least about and the most ripe for exploration.

Yes, Myr is kind of a blank space, but Tyrosh comes directly behind. All we know about that place is that they have archons, basically.

Lys was very much fleshed out in FaB.

I have no interest in seeing the story expand any more than it already has.  It needs to coalesce instead.  And Essos isn't what the story is about.  So if we're going ttto see more of someplace, I would rather it be someplace a POV is already at or likekly to be.  Which probably limits it to Braavos, Pentos, or perhaps Volantis.  Of those, I find Braavos to be the most interesting, so my vote is for Braavos.

3 hours ago, Nevets said:

I have no interest in seeing the story expand any more than it already has.  It needs to coalesce instead.  And Essos isn't what the story is about.  So if we're going ttto see more of someplace, I would rather it be someplace a POV is already at or likekly to be.  Which probably limits it to Braavos, Pentos, or perhaps Volantis.  Of those, I find Braavos to be the most interesting, so my vote is for Braavos.

We will definitely get a closer look at the Three Daughters and the Stepstones when Dany's people move west. Not sure if Myr will feature prominently, but Tyrosh and especially Lys (where Edric Storm and Lynesse Hightower are right now) should feature pretty prominently. Not to mention that crucial characters are from there - Salla, Lysono Maar, Varys.

The Stepstones are also built up throughout AFfC/ADwD with Aurane Waters moving there, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Qohor, definitely!  Sorcery, mysterious forest next door, gateway East, smiths know how to rework Valyrian steel where nobody else, not even the cities that are so proud to have once been Valyrian daughters, does.  And let's not forget the Black Goat and his worship via blood sacrifice!   I'd LOVE to know more about Qohor.  The rest don't really interest me all that much.

I've seen the maps.  This world is full of places that no POV character has visited yet.  I'm happy any time we get to see a place that was hitherto known only by dialog or characters' thoughts. ADWD is my favorite book so far, largely for that reason.  I really enjoy reading about Tyrion's journey across Andalos and down the Rhoyne. 

But if I have to choose among the nine Free Cities ... Qohor is certainly intriguing, for all the reasons that Aeverett listed.  But it hasn't actually been that important to the story so far.  Pentos also interests me.  Between Illyrio and the Tattered Prince, I expect some big things to happen there.  So far, all we've seen of it is Illyrio's manse, and Drogo's during the wedding.

Archived