Was Rickard Stark trying to get close to the Iron Throne.

Mario Seddy

I think most of the people are getting the wrong impression of Rickard Stark's Southron ambition.
I don't think Rickard was planning on disposing or even opposing the Targaryens, I think he was trying to get close to the Targaryens by forming bonds and alliances with traditional Targaryen Loyalists. Let's look at Rickard allies ;

1.House Baratheon - His daughter Lyanna Stark was betrothed to Robert Baratheon the heir to Stormlands and whose dad Steffon Baratheon was BFF's and chummy with the King Aerys who was also his cousin.

2.House Tully - Now house Tully (before that wretched disgusting weasel slime Hoster Tully decided to betray the Targaryens ) was one of the most fierce and loyal supporters of House Targaryen, they were even considered worthy enough to marry into the Targaryens.
Rickard son and heir Brandon was supposed to marry the eldest daughter of that weasel Hoster Tully.

3 House Arryn - House Arryn was one of the more traditional Targaryen allies and all Targaryens have a bit of Vale blood from Aemma Arryn mother of Rhaenyra Targaryen. He decides to send his second son Eddard Stark to the Vale to foster with Jon Arryn a respected high lord and Statesman (I think Jon Arryn had a bit of Targaryen blood because I think he's a descendant of one of Aegon V sisters we don't who they married but I have a strong hunch she was married of to an Arryn ).
Now who is also fostered with Ned it's Robert and they were encouraged to become as close as brothers.

4.House Lannister - Lysa Tully was supposed to marry Jaime Lannister who was the son of Tywin Lannister the hand of the king and one of Aerys childhood friends. So this has to mean something since the Tullys and Starks would have already bound together by Brandon and Catelyn's engagement.

I think Rickard was born during the harsh winter in which Aegon V sent food and supplies to the North despite much opposition in the south. I think Rickard saw that the North could not be in insolation much longer and he decided to go all out in his alliances with the south. In hopes to curry favor with the Targaryens by forming alliances with Targaryen Loyalists houses.
If Aerys didn't go full ape shit on Brandon and Rickard, I think there was a good chance that Robert's and Lyanna daughter would have been married to Aegon Vi and would have become his queen. So if this scenario happened then there would have been a future king with Baratheon /Stark and Targaryen blood (Blood of ice and fire with a mix of the blood of storm kings potent stuff. )

I agree with you. I don’t agree with the notion that what Rickard was doing was that he was trying to conspire against the King. I believe that at last after thousands of years of the Starks been comfortable with being proud about their amazing history he wanted the glamour it would come from that. Which could be a better way to do that than getting involved with the rest of the Great Houses and bring lavish and glamour to your? I don’t see why is so wrong for someone who has the status to try and look like the part.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:19 PM, Mario Seddy said:

I think most of the people are getting the wrong impression of Rickard Stark's Southron ambition.

I think people are getting the wrong impression about this as well. The speculation omits a bunch of things, like Hoster Tully being the ambitious one in the group, or that Jon Arryn didn't call his banners until Ned and Robert's lives were threatened, or as you said that House Arryn had ties to the Targaryens and fairly recent ones at that, with a possibly Daenaera who was married to Aerion. It's possible that Alys Arryn was his father's sister.

The speculation doesn't take into account those Blackwood marriages, or that Edwyle Stark was a half-Blackwood lord at the same time Bloodraven came to the Wall. And I think that whatever was going on with Rickard and the marriage alliances begins here. I think it had more to do with the supernatural than it did with ambition. 

I wrote something about it here.

2 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I tried to figure out what (or whom) you referred to, but I failed, so could you please elaborate?

I think she meant Rhaegel's wife and meant that she could have been a sister of Jon Arryn's father, Lord Jasper.

6 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:
16 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I tried to figure out what (or whom) you referred to, but I failed, so could you please elaborate?

I think she meant Rhaegel's wife and meant that she could have been a sister of Jon Arryn's father, Lord Jasper.

Ahh, I could not make any sense out of 'his brother's sister', but father's sister could work. Assuming Aelor and Aelora were born in 200 AC and Alys Arryn was at least 15 years old then (if not even more of Rhaegel's age), Alys might have been an aunt of Jasper, though. But I guess this is getting off topic.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:19 PM, Mario Seddy said:

I don't think Rickard was planning on disposing or even opposing the Targaryens, I think he was trying to get close to the Targaryens by forming bonds and alliances with traditional Targaryen Loyalists. Let's look at Rickard allies ;

1.House Baratheon - His daughter Lyanna Stark was betrothed to Robert Baratheon the heir to Stormlands and whose dad Steffon Baratheon was BFF's and chummy with the King Aerys who was also his cousin.

2.House Tully - Now house Tully (before that wretched disgusting weasel slime Hoster Tully decided to betray the Targaryens ) was one of the most fierce and loyal supporters of House Targaryen, they were even considered worthy enough to marry into the Targaryens.
Rickard son and heir Brandon was supposed to marry the eldest daughter of that weasel Hoster Tully.

3 House Arryn - House Arryn was one of the more traditional Targaryen allies and all Targaryens have a bit of Vale blood from Aemma Arryn mother of Rhaenyra Targaryen. He decides to send his second son Eddard Stark to the Vale to foster with Jon Arryn a respected high lord and Statesman (I think Jon Arryn had a bit of Targaryen blood because I think he's a descendant of one of Aegon V sisters we don't who they married but I have a strong hunch she was married of to an Arryn ).
Now who is also fostered with Ned it's Robert and they were encouraged to become as close as brothers.

4.House Lannister - Lysa Tully was supposed to marry Jaime Lannister who was the son of Tywin Lannister the hand of the king and one of Aerys childhood friends. So this has to mean something since the Tullys and Starks would have already bound together by Brandon and Catelyn's engagement.

I think Rickard was born during the harsh winter in which Aegon V sent food and supplies to the North despite much opposition in the south. I think Rickard saw that the North could not be in insolation much longer and he decided to go all out in his alliances with the south. In hopes to curry favor with the Targaryens by forming alliances with Targaryen Loyalists houses.
If Aerys didn't go full ape shit on Brandon and Rickard, I think there was a good chance that Robert's and Lyanna daughter would have been married to Aegon Vi and would have become his queen. So if this scenario happened then there would have been a future king with Baratheon /Stark and Targaryen blood (Blood of ice and fire with a mix of the blood of storm kings potent stuff. )

I agree that Rickard Stark wasn't trying to depose the Targaryens , there was no reason to . My guess is after the War of the Nine Penny Kings that he was trying to bring the North closer to other regions of the realm

Archived