Covid-19 #24: You Scream, I Scream, We all Scream for Vaccine

Fragile Bird

19 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

No I meant beneficiaries of Covax :)

specifically “Exports to any of the 92 low and middle income countries in the COVAX Advance Market Commitment list.”

Fair enough! That makes much more sense. Explains the absence of several significant omissions mentioned upthread. :)

I am going to do another screeching rant against effing Americans again. Skip over this post if you think your feelings are going to be hurt.

I just watched the opening monologue of Fareed Zakaria's show on CNN. He does such a pious screed on "vaccine nationalism" he'd make Trump proud. Trump couldn't twist facts any better. Who in the world is his number one example of Vaccine Nationalism? Why, Canada, of course! He then goes on to shake a proverbial finger at the EU, and quote the WHO on the topic.

Canada, the country that produces zero vaccine! Canada, where we have received 1.12M doses of vaccine so far, but holy shit, look at those bastards, they ordered enough vaccine to vaccinate the country five times over! Does he mention Canada has already said all excess vaccine will be offered to other countries? No, of course not. Does he mention the fact that the world's biggest effing Vaccine Nationalist is the US, which has prevented any vaccine from being exported anywhere in the world? Does he mention that the US has had 49.92 M doses delivered and 24.1 M people have received one dose, and that 5.3 M are people fully vaccinated? Does he mention the US has more people vaccinated than any other country in the world, more than 30% of all the vaccine administered in the world in a country with less than 5% of the population?

The US has 44x the amount of vaccine that Canada does, does the US suddenly have a population of 1.66 B people?

I said his monologue would make Trump proud, holy flying fuck, that was a monologue that would make FOX news proud!

If you ever wonder why people in Canada (and other countries) have a love/hate relationship with the US, this completely exemplified it. I can't even count the number of times I've seen US news media wag their fingers at Canada without saying one godamn thing about the actions of the US, not one godamn thing.

/rant done. For now. Will likely come back (to rant).

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I would think that the viral load was very important. The efficacy rate is calculated by determining how many people in the vaccinated group became infected compared to the number of people in the placebo group who became infected. If you get exposed to a fuck-ton more virus, your numbers are likely to be worse.

For J&J vaccine numbers compared to Pfizer/Moderna, sure.  But the J&J numbers compared to the placebo group shouldn't be biased.  That is the point of the placebo group.  And as you say, the results are based on the comparison to the placebo group.

I do agree that measuring results just based on that one statistic is misleading though.

And my 49 day comment was also misleading (from release). 

Efficacy against severe disease increased over time with no cases in vaccinated participants reported after day 49.

The Janssen COVID-19 vaccine candidate demonstrated complete protection against COVID-related hospitalization and death, 28 days post-vaccination.

39 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I am going to do another screeching rant against effing American News Media again. Skip over this post if you think your feelings are going to be hurt.

I just watched the opening monologue of Fareed Zakaria's show on CNN. He does such a pious screed on "vaccine nationalism" he'd make Trump proud. 

FTFY

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

UK has done over 1m vaccinations in last 2 days. If we keep this up we should meet our target of most vulnerable groups being done by mid feb. We have done nothing right for a year, but seem to he doing this ok. 

I got my first dose yesterday 

20 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

UK has done over 1m vaccinations in last 2 days. If we keep this up we should meet our target of most vulnerable groups being done by mid feb. We have done nothing right for a year, but seem to he doing this ok. 

Getting someone from the City who’s married to a Conservative MP to run the vaccine task force does seem like a very Tory thing to do and doesn’t inspire a huge amount of confidence. It does look like, amongst all the failures, the UK’s vaccine strategy has actually been very well managed though.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

UK has done over 1m vaccinations in last 2 days. If we keep this up we should meet our target of most vulnerable groups being done by mid feb.

1st dose, not both.

But I'm glad the vaccine rollout has been good.

I'm having a really hard time with closure from my old job. We went to WFH for a week mid March and the following Monday I was furloughed. I was unfurloughed for ten days in June to do a hand-off before I started my new job and then that was it. I was unable to say goodbye face to face with so many people I had worked with for almost a decade. I'm tearing up thinking about it even now. I feel partly ridiculous but also deeply distraught over how this chapter in my life/career ended.

With that, I can't even imagine the despair and sadness of those who have lost someone and were unable to say goodbye or attend a funeral or be with family and friends. My mother lost a close friend three weeks ago. There will likely be a memorial service in the spring, vaccinations-dependent I guess. 

@S John I'm so sorry for your loss and the whole situation. 

3 minutes ago, Raja said:

1st dose, not both.

But I'm glad the vaccine rollout has been good.

Although how captain Tom didnt get his vaccine in time to prevent him being hospitalised makes me wonder. Surely someone over 100 should have been at the top of the list. 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Although how captain Tom didnt get his vaccine in time to prevent him being hospitalised makes me wonder. Surely someone over 100 should have been at the top of the list. 

Let me guess - because he lives at home with his children and not in a LTC facility?

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

According to my wife (nurse), she thinks you need to be healthy to a degree to get a vaccine; he had been suffering pneumonia for the past couple weeks.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Also have to keep in mind a couple of things even if people do get the first dose

1. We are unsure of the *exact* efficacy of a single dose, whilst we know there is some degree of protection, some people who get the first dose will still end up getting covid 19 and severe  disease whilst they wait the 12ish weeks for the second dose ( the gamble being getting lots of people 1 dose is needed given our numbers and deaths)

2. Most of the protection seen in severe disease and hospitalization will kick in 'x' amount of days after vaccination, so you can still get severe disease during that time

And as Derfal says, you need to be healthy to take the vaccine so I imagine that might be why he didn't get the first dose.

58 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

According to my wife (nurse), she thinks you need to be healthy to a degree to get a vaccine; he had been suffering pneumonia for the past couple weeks.

That makes sense, would be fucking galling if it got him though. 

18 hours ago, kairparavel said:

This is infuriating. 

Right to protest and all that, but how the hell are people being allowed to get away with even 1 second of disrupting this? Any attempt to prevent or delay a person getting vaccinated, or administering the vaccine to a consenting individual should be met with an arrest for disturbing the peace.

21 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Right to protest and all that, but how the hell are people being allowed to get away with even 1 second of disrupting this? Any attempt to prevent or delay a person getting vaccinated, or administering the vaccine to a consenting individual should be met with an arrest for disturbing the peace.

Shoot them in the face. 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shoot them in the face. 

With saline that they think is the vaccine, right? That's what you meant? Not actually doing any harm. 

Maybe spray them with a mist of water from drones flying overhead. Given their mindset they will either think the deep state is trying to vaccinate them, or using a mind-control agent. 

This is part of the continuity of the 01/06 -- to keep things as dysfunctional and chaotic as possible -- and kill as many of us as possible -- until their guns take back the government, and then they can go on the real killing spree purging the fatherland of all the wrong elements.

Archived