Covid-19 #24: You Scream, I Scream, We all Scream for Vaccine

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I have to say I think a lot of this criticism of how the vaccines are being produced is a bit overwrought.

I think that’s all very fair.

It’s also reasonable to review whether more could have been done.  The answer to that sort of question is always “yes” but it’s still worth examining, as we still have a long way to go with this pandemic.

There are 3 main challenges

1. Developing and testing
  2. Mass production
  3. Distributing

You’d have to say that Science scores close to a 10/10 for 1).  They still have more work to do on the variants but you’d have a reasonable amount of faith that they can keep on top of things.

Mass production has a whole different set of challenges.  Was it ever possible to produce enough vaccines for a significant number of people worldwide in Q1 this year?  A relatively high number of vaccines have been produced for a number of countries but when you start talking about the 450m people in the EU (or 330m in US), the challenge becomes apparent (never mind the whole world).  Maybe I should add "messaging" to that list.

Anyhow, as rumored, it has now been confirmed that Sputnik has shown very good results.  The EMA is in talks with the Russians about a “conditional use” application.  Interesting to see what happens with that option.

Moscow hopes to produce up to 1.4bn doses of the vaccine this year, including in countries such as China, Brazil, and India

FT

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

That’s a bit ridiculous, IMO. I believe you need to look at percentage of the population vaccinated. It’s not like we’ve got 50% of the population vaccinated and other countries have 4% or something.

We are all in the same boat. The same leaky, creaky boat.

To speak from a personal standpoint, I am nowhere NEAR getting vaccinated (group 1B, because I am an accountant - lawyers and accountants are in 1B as “other essential workers”) because the “over 65’s” are still getting vaccinated, as well as health care workers and first responders who are not affiliated with major hospitals. 

I can probably estimate maybe getting vaccinated in June.

Don't try to play a statistics game here, you know the saying. The US has 30% of the world's vaccinated population with less than 5% of the world's population.

This is like the crap the US media is spewing out, don't look at us, look at the amount Canada has on order! We aren't the vaccine nationalists, Canada is!

[mod] Please do not yell at each other about vaccine distribution. Nobody in this thread is in a position to change reality, and so you're just a bunch of people taking your anxiety out on each other, which helps exactly no one. If you need to vent, either direct it out your window or at your elected officials. Thank you. [/mod]

Just now, Xray the Enforcer said:

[mod] Please do not yell at each other about vaccine distribution. Nobody in this thread has that power, and so you're just a bunch of people taking your anxiety out on each other, which helps exactly no one. If you need to vent, either direct it out your window or at your elected officials. Thank you. [/mod]

Was just going to delete, we cross posted...

I'd say it would become quite ethically debatable if UK or US begins to vaccinate en masse people the bulk of their people, who are not at risk nor front-line workers, when Canada or EU is still stuck at something like 5% vaccinated. But we're not there yet - UK has vaccinated a lot of people but just 1st dose, so not even halfway there.

If Russia allows others to produce their vaccines (for a price of course), it might be a really good news, even for Europe as a whole - and obviously for poorer countries.

I know it sucks to be in a country that is not getting much or any vaccine.

And I know mortally it's wrong for certain country's to claim more than a fair share, however such things was always going to happen.  What happened with masks, pope and medical supplies early last year should have told you that. Its wrong but predictable.

It's also hard to justify to your voters sending much vaccine elsewhere when your most vulnerable still need to be done, especially when your one of the countries where covid is raging and well out of control.

Of well developed nations that don't want to be at the mercy of other countries vaccine needs, then those countries could consider adding vaccine manufacture in their own country.   It would guarantee you get some vaccine quicker and help the rest of the world.

Again I k ow it's not fair.  But it is a reality.

8 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55881753

Captain Sir Tom Moore, the 100 yesr old knighted for raising £33mill for thr NHS has just died of covid :(

This really will be felt across the entire nation.  Terrible news.

29 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

And I know mortally it's wrong for certain country's to claim more than a fair share, however such things was always going to happen.  What happened with masks, pope and medical supplie

It is worse with pope, since there's only been one at a time for the last centuries, and nowadays it's always the same tiny country that claims him.

1 minute ago, Clueless Northman said:

It is worse with pope, since there's only been one at a time for the last centuries, and nowadays it's always the same tiny country that claims him.

well at least I don't have to worry about 2 billion Pope's suddenly wanting to live in my neighbours house then.  

Stupid autocorrect.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Guilty as charged. My anxiety has been spiking lately with the news about the new variants. 

It is also windy (gusts of up to 35 mph) and COLD in Atlanta (temps dipping down to the 20s) so I haven’t left the house in three days. 

I’d typically go to the gym (with a mask on, of course) but with the new variants being found here in Cobb County with community spread, I’m not currently thinking that going to the gym is a great idea.

I bet you’re just beaming with joy that the NBA All-Star weekend is coming to Atlanta in two weeks. What could go wrong?

also frustrated today:

in our city the playgrounds were closed in December. Now , last week after now having only half as many cases per week than in December, the city council decided to open them again.

then, Friday, two days after the opening the british variant was found in our city and they had to close again. this was met by opposition and seemingly endless discussion in the city council and yesterday it was decided that ok, lets open again.

So, today, 1 h ago came the report that the south african variant was also found (this one seems to be even more critical because its bad for vaccine efficacy)... so there will be more discussion about this... I wager that on Thursday at the latest the playgrounds are closed again.

this is really just a small issue, but for me it looks like a depressing sign of not getting any progress . Presumably we will have to wait for better weather and more sun to really beat the virus.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Whoever gave Sir Tom Covid-19 must feel terrible now. If they know it. What a sad ending to what was a glorious, awesome story. :crying:

Apparently he caught it in hospital where he was being treated for pneumonia. So no one is to blame.

RIP Sir Tom, you were and are a true hero.

Archived