US Politics: Winning is Easy, Governing is Harder

Mlle. Zabzie

Looks like some Senators are turning their attention to censuring Trump:

Kaine (D-Va.) and Collins (R-Maine) have been interested in a censure resolution for weeks now and have discussed it on multiple occasions.

But the bipartisan discussions among senators grew more earnest after 45 Republicans voted today in favor of a motion to dismiss the trial because Trump is now out of office.

The vote was a clear indication he won't be convicted.

Between the lines: In some ways, a censure vote could be more difficult for Republicans, because they can't rely on the argument that a resolution is unconstitutional — like they are for an impeachment conviction.

It would also be a history-making vote. No other president has been censured after leaving office.

West Wing devotees will know that Andrew Jackson was censured in 1834 but got it expunged in 1837 when the Democrats retook the Senate.  So, while it would be purely symbolic, at least it would be history making.

Also, I was trying to come up with a topic title using censure - something like "censure gonna be cowards" - but Zabzie beat me to it before I could think of something good.

About the small discussion sparked by Sen. Leahy's visit to the hospital, I just want to cast my vote as a California and San Francisco partisan of admittedly great bias, that DiFi really needs to resign so she doesn't do great damage. While I have voted, reluctantly, many times for her, and there are issues in which she is quite good, it is too great of a risk for her to remain through her full term in office, much less become President pro tempore of the Senate. Some close friend needs to talk to her about a graceful retirement and letting Gov. Newsom appoint someone else. Hell, Newsom could even appoint himself, not that would be my preference

7 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

About the small discussion sparked by Sen. Leahy's visit to the hospital, I just want to cast my vote as a California and San Francisco partisan of admittedly great bias, that DiFi really needs to resign so she doesn't do great damage. While I have voted, reluctantly, many times for her, and there are issues in which she is quite good, it is too great of a risk for her to remain through her full term in office, much less become President pro tempore of the Senate. Some close friend needs to talk to her about a graceful retirement and letting Gov. Newsom appoint someone else. Hell, Newsom could even appoint himself, not that would be my preference

Katie Porter or GTFO! 

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

If Feinstein retired the seat would almost certainly go to a black woman.  The pressure to do so would be extraordinary.

Stop promising me a good time!

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

If Feinstein retired the seat would almost certainly go to a black woman.  The pressure to do so would be extraordinary.

It would certainly have to go to a woman, but I don't think it automatically has to go to a black woman, especially when a gem is sitting there right in front of you. 

4 minutes ago, Week said:

Stop promising me a good time!

Well, I definitely don't think she'll be retiring any time soon.  So don't worry, life still sucks.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It would certainly have to go to a woman, but I don't think it automatically has to go to a black woman

Not only would it almost have to a black woman, it definitely should go to a black woman.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not only would it almost have to a black woman, it definitely should go to a black woman.

If you're pro-limiting your talent pool then so be it. What if there was an extremely qualified Asian woman who checked every box?

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

If you're pro-limiting your talent pool then so be it. What if there was an extremely qualified Asian woman who checked every box?

You're pro-limiting your talent pool yourself - you said it'd have to go to a woman.  There isn't a single black woman in the Senate and black women were integral to taking back the Senate in a multitude of ways.  Besides, Barbara Lee and Karen Bass are probably the most qualified candidates for the seat anyway.

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Katie Porter or GTFO! 

Why would you just give up a democrat seat in a red district? Porter's district is something like R+3 or 4, , and I'm honestly not sure another Democrat can come in and take it. Katie Porter is a special one, and I expect big things from her, but she needs to hold that seat as long as she can or at least until the next time the Dems take a stronger majority.

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

I get where this is coming from, and at it's heart is a good thing that we are emphasizing diversity, but this idea that just because someone is a person of color, or a woman, or LGBTQ that immediately means that they should be elevated is so fucking dumb. A bomb being dropped on a Yemini village is exactly the same as if it was fired from a gay black woman drone pilot as if it were dropped by a straight white man. Obviously there a lot of non-white folks who have excellent politics, and I agree that someone from those ranks should merit special consideration, but identity can't be enough, especially in one of the most left wing states in the country where you can actually have real left wing members of congress who will help move the party to the left and towards the future.

This isn't targeted at you specifically, I'm just sick of seeing people's identity being used as a cudgel (both in support and opposition to a given candidate), especially after watching Bernie when he was the front runner being attacked because he is a straight white male, and people acting like he should be stepping aside for whichever woman or person of color was the flavor of the month.

ETA: I see you mentioned Barbara Lee and Karen Bass as two people who are probably best qualified, and I firmly agree. Even though I adore Lee, I'd go with Bass  since she a little bit younger

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

You're pro-limiting your talent pool yourself - you said it'd have to go to a woman.  There isn't a single black woman in the Senate and black women were integral to taking back the Senate in a multitude of ways.  Besides, Barbara Lee and Karen Bass are probably the most qualified candidates for the seat anyway.

>50% is a fair bit larger than what, 7-8%? And Asians do account for a larger bloc in Cali than African-Americans, so why can't they demand for representation, especially given they also lost their Senator of Asian ancestry?

7 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Why would you just give up a democrat seat in a red district? Porter's district is something like R+3 or 4, , and I'm honestly not sure another Democrat can come in and take it. Katie Porter is a special one, and I expect big things from her, but she needs to hold that seat as long as she can or at least until the next time the Dems take a stronger majority.

You asked and answered your own question. You have a star in an unfavorable district. That's gonna be a constant dog fight for her. Make her the Junior Senator of California and her troubles on that front are over as she rises in the ranks in the Senate.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

You asked and answered your own question. You have a star in an unfavorable district. That's gonna be a constant dog fight for her. Make her the Junior Senator of California and her troubles on that front are over as she rises in the ranks in the Senate.

Porter won pretty comfortably this time around (a 7 point win), I think she is one of those people who can reguarly win in a red district for the foreseeable, and if you can deny the Republican seat that should generally be theirs, You should not fuck with what is working.

Of course, there is the issue that once whoever takes Feinstein's seat is in there, the incumbent advantage basically guarantees them that seat for life, so I would want to see as left wing person as possible, so perhaps Porter is the best choice.

8 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

ETA: I see you mentioned Barbara Lee and Karen Bass as two people who are probably best qualified, and I firmly agree. Even though I adore Lee, I'd go with Bass  since she a little bit younger

This is why it should go to a black woman - there are candidates that probably deserved the job more than Padilla.  And I think you're underestimating the outrage that there isn't a black woman in the Senate - which is entirely justified outrage, especially considering their contributions.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

>50% is a fair bit larger than what, 7-8%?

I don't know why you're basing the percentage of the talent pool on overall population.  Presumably the talent pool should be based on people that are remotely qualified, not just every Californian.  And when it comes to candidates that were actually under consideration for Harris' vacancy, there were three black women near the top of the list.  Really, other than Porter and Hilda Solis they were the only women on the short list.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You asked and answered your own question. You have a star in an unfavorable district. That's gonna be a constant dog fight for her.

She just upped her margin from 4.2% to 7% in one cycle.  The incumbency advantage significantly increases for House members in the first few reelections.  That being said, with redistricting it's hard to tell what her reelection prospects will be.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is why it should go to a black woman - there are candidates that probably deserved the job more than Padilla.  And I think you're underestimating the outrage that there isn't a black woman in the Senate - which is entirely justified outrage, especially considering their contributions.

Oh I know, I absolutely think it is super fucked up that there isn't a single black woman in the senate, I'm just saying that putting identity first is a stupid way to do politics when there are a lot of other important factors to consider along side someone's racial identity when judging who we are about to give somewhere between 12 and 30 years of time in the Senate. God I wish Barbara Lee was 20 years younger, but then of course she wouldn't have been able to vote against the war.

I was going to make a joke about how we should just find a way to put Eugene Debs' soul into the body of a black woman but then I started considering whether or not that is blackface and now I need a moment alone with my thoughts.

Just now, GrimTuesday said:

Oh I know, I absolutely think it is super fucked up that there isn't a single black woman in the senate, I'm just saying that putting identity first is a stupid way to do politics when there are a lot of other important factors to consider when judging who we are about to give somewhere between 12 and 30 years of time in the Senate.

It shouldn't be the only consideration, but it definitely should be a consideration - especially when there are candidates that fulfill that consideration and all other considerations as well.  Anyway, I prefer Bass as well.  I think she'd be a shoo-in if Feinstein retired.

3 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I was going to make a joke about how we should just find a way to put Eugene Debs' soul into the body of a black woman but then I started considering whether or not that is blackface and now I need a moment alone with my thoughts.

LOL.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Never before has the debate over the Oxford comma been so crucial to the reading of a tweet.

I just like how Giuliani is responding to cat turd.  They go together.

Archived