Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN adaptation for Netflix

Werthead

7 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Both Tom Sturridge and Gwendoline Christie were rumoured for months. I am a little disappointed that Morpheus its neither Tom Hiddleston, like he was as Adam in Only lovers left alive, nor James McAvoy who was amazing in the audiobook.

They would have both been reasonable, although neither quite nails the look (and availability over 6-7 seasons would have been a huge problem for actors of their stature). Sturridge is a solid actor and he looks the part to an impressive degree.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

They would have both been reasonable, although neither quite nails the look (and availability over 6-7 seasons would have been a huge problem for actors of their stature). Sturridge is a solid actor and he looks the part to an impressive degree.

James McAvoy definitely doesn’t look like the part but he sounded like it. Tom Hiddleston, Adam, in Only lovers left alive https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714915/mediaviewer/rm3606366208/ was looking exactly my mental image on Morpheus. Other than that it does makes sense that their schedule may not be able to afford a 6 to 7 season long series. I don’t know about  Tom Sturridge, I have only see him in The boat that rocked.

11 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Not Tom Ellis as Lucifer? Was he not interested?

Tom Ellis's take on Lucifer is utterly divorced from the source material, whilst Gaiman has repeatedly said they're going to be much closer to the comic book in this version, so it makes sense to completely recast the role.

Don't get me wrong, Tom Ellis is an excellent actor and could easily nail the Sandman version of Lucifer. But it'd be a very different character to what they're used to from the other show, and would probably confuse a lot of people. I suspect Gaiman may have also gone off the idea after he was integrated into the CWverse; although fun, the CW tone is definitely not what they're after with this new Sandman show.

• 4 months later...

Tom Sturridge rocking that "young Neil Gaiman aka Morpheus" look. Bit of Gwendoline Christie as well, a look at the Dreamstone, and a glimpse at an animatronic ... magpie? Matthew's a raven, or should be, so I'm not quite sure what we were seeing there other than a proof-of-concept type thing. 

Sets look lovely, too. The Undercroft in particular was cool.

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

Gaiman confirmed that one episode is an adaptation of Men of Good Fortune, which makes me excessively happy.

That's great. Have they cast someone for Hob, or will they use another character?

2 hours ago, ithanos said:

That's great. Have they cast someone for Hob, or will they use another character?

They have cast him but not announced it.

Intriguingly, Gaiman said that switch from Dream being imprisoned for 80 years to 110 years will have an impact on that story, as Dream will have missed a meeting.

I will of course watch this no question.  It does look encouragingly cool, though.  Again I say I love the Christie casting.

Also that video is cool because I have never heard Gaiman speak and I am a voice maniac. 

56 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

Also that video is cool because I have never heard Gaiman speak and I am a voice maniac. 

He is not shy about speaking engagements and interviews. Definitely a pleasing person to listen to, just check out Youtube. Here's his reading from his book on Norse myth:

22 hours ago, Ran said:

Definitely a pleasing person to listen to

Yeah that's a good one.  It would be so great to have a nice voice.  I cannot stand the sound of my own voice, though.

Sandman still looking good.  A re-read is likely. 

• 3 months later...

Trailer doesn't really provide much to hook the interest of people who have no knowledge of the books, does it? People who've read The Sandman obviously already know how amazing the story is but I think people who haven't read it will just be nonplussed by that.

Not that Netflix really needs to rely on trailers, people who are already subscribed will watch it if word-of-mouth is good.

It's a first look rather than a trailer, so I think that's fine. Oddly, showing Charles Dance in a prominent role (little do they know...) may be more intriguing to people than anything else in the first look.

Archived