Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN adaptation for Netflix

Werthead

Looking pretty good so far, especially in terms of visual faithfulness to some of the designs. The Gates of Horn and Ivory are a definite evolution on the Sam Keith design.

I like they deciding to keep their powder dry by holding back on Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer (she look superb in the officially-released pics). The Corinthian looking very promising as well.

Mark Hamill has also been cast as the voice of Mervin, which is brilliant.

Whoever that actor is that was cast as Morpheus, that's...some stellar casting. The dude just looks so much the part. And he definitely has a future playing Robert Smith in a Cure biography film.

9 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Whoever that actor is that was cast as Morpheus, that's...some stellar casting. The dude just looks so much the part. And he definitely has a future playing Robert Smith in a Cure biography film.

They absolutely HAVE to use The Dream from Japanese Whispers for the end credits, each episode.

I'll accept a remix, as the album version doesn't really suit the mood.

• 1 month later...

I would say yes, if you enjoy the medium of comics and don't see it as inferior to television.

If you don't particularly or consider it an inferior artform, then maybe no?

58 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Question for the hivemind:  I've only read the first 20-30 pages of Sandman, but I have some general sense of the mythos/storyline.  Should I read the graphic novels BEFORE watching the show, or wait?

It doesn't really answer your question but from what we've seen it looks like the first season is going to be using material from the first two graphic novels, so if you did want to read things first then you don't need to read the whole series yet.

It was fine. I think we need more context to get the same feelings that Gaiman expressed. There's a whole long conversation between Death and Dream before he joins her.

I also wonder if they're going to make Death more consistently serene and calming. Her first appearance, she's rather mischievous and tells a few jokes.

56 minutes ago, Ran said:

I also wonder if they're going to make Death more consistently serene and calming. Her first appearance, she's rather mischievous and tells a few jokes.

Not in that exact scene in the comics she isn't. She's very calm and low-key, as in the clip. Pretty much the scene from the comics exactly, with the difference that the old guy in the comics is very fat and only starts playing once they come in.

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not in that exact scene in the comics she isn't. She's very calm and low-key, as in the clip. Pretty much the scene from the comics exactly, with the difference that the old guy in the comics is very fat and only starts playing once they come in.

I’d imagine Ran is referring to earlier in that issue when Dream is feeding the pigeons. 

13 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

I’d imagine Ran is referring to earlier in that issue when Dream is feeding the pigeons. 

And going on about loving Mary Poppins and how ridiculous Dick Van Dyke's accent was in it, yes.

Also, the scene has been all-around been made more melodramatic and ... well, glossy. The old Jewish man in the comic is in a dingy apartment, he's overweight and a bit unkempt, he doesn't play Schubert but just fiddles in an amateurish way, he's singing a funny folksysong (which she references in her first words to him, showing her humor, by the by ('Yes, I can patter Romany, Harry. Can you?`') etc. That sort of change is what made me wonder about whether Death's sense of humor and the like has been toned down.

It looks like no expense has been spared, but it'll be interesting to see how many tonal changes there are in the adaptation, and why those tonal changes exist, if any.

I am surprised to say I am feeling optimistic, which is a rare reaction for me when awaiting new material to emerge from the yawning darkness that is the Netflix factory of C quality shows.

I rather liked Gaiman's breakdown of the recent trailer.

Anyway, I won't be terribly distraught if this show ends up being another Netflix disaster. The comics are fantastic and already an excellent visual presentation; a tv adaptation is pretty unnecessary.

If it does turn out well, though, I will be happy to watch it.

6 hours ago, Quijote Light said:

Ah, right. So they released another video of that scene as well?

I haven't seen that, is there a link?

Archived