Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN adaptation for Netflix

Werthead

5 hours ago, mormont said:

Desire isn't non-binary but gender-fluid, which isn't the same thing. Basically Desire is whatever gender and uses whatever pronouns are convenient.

Well and truly into nitpicking but I've generally seen gender-fluid being one of the ways someone can be non-binary rather than entirely discrete identities - non-binary essentially being another umbrella term. 

Also a good time to point out for those unaware - while Desire has fluid pronouns, the actor playing Desire is also non-binary and uses they/them.

11 hours ago, mormont said:

Desire isn't non-binary but gender-fluid, which isn't the same thing. Basically Desire is whatever gender and uses whatever pronouns are convenient.

Ok, probably I’m getting the character and actor confused.

I haven't been previously introduced to the comics, which is a HUGE mistake on my part. But, this adaptation was sincerely everything. It's been a while since I have been so intellectually and emotionally inspired. Structure of the season is a bit all over the place, but the trifecta of episodes - "A Hope in Hell", "24/7" and "The Sound of Her Wings" was AMAZING. It's borderline impossible to choose the favorite as each episode is such a treat, in their own ways. The "game" between Lucifer and Dream was everything a fantasy series should give me. 

The casting of Dream was amazing. He is such a dry character which allows personal changes to be more visible and even, somehow, more impactful. The last meeting with Hob was absolutely wonderful. 

Not sure about Rose part and the last four episodes. I am not sure if I would have preferred for them to have kept the episodic structure of the series, connecting separate stories into one thread, instead of having somewhat disconnected the first and the second part. 

As for the rest of the cast, I have enjoyed each and one of them. I was pleasantly surprised by Gwendoline's turn as Lucifer. The aesthetics were English in that quirky, colorful vibe. I have seen some critics regarding the wokeness of adaptation but, honestly, perhaps it is because I am an Unspoiled :D but I didn't mind it. I suppose there were some changes, but I am profoundly happy with how everything turned out to be that I have no serious complaints. Even when Tom Sturridge came dangerously close to Robert Pattinson's "Twilight" vibe :D:D:D

I don't have a problem with any of the gender swapping or whatever on the show, it is what it is. The comics are pretty fluid, I don't think it matters.

I have liked pretty much all of the casting, Dream is perfect, feels like the guy needed to starve himself for the role however. 

I thought Jo Costantine was pretty rubbish though and a rare miss. I've found Jenna Coleman's performances pretty grating in basically everything I've seen her in, maybe too many Doctor Who flashbacks, but she just carries that same smirking air in whatever she is doing. I'm not sure how much they had to try and get away from the character of Constantine for commercial reasons, but there is very little resemblance to the original character. No grotty overcoat, no chain smoking.. just false swagger and designer overcoat. 

39 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don't have a problem with any of the gender swapping or whatever on the show, it is what it is. The comics are pretty fluid, I don't think it matters.

I have liked pretty much all of the casting, Dream is perfect, feels like the guy needed to starve himself for the role however. 

I felt much the same as well. The guy playing Dream was near perfect casting, but yea, he looked like a scarecrow at times. The guy must of had to starve himself indeed. He reminded me a lot of Issac from The Orville, in the sense that he doesn't move a lot and only ever when he really has to. It's great use of body langue and makes the character more interesting and mysterious.

I've watched episodes 5 and 6, which were both excellent and have elevated the series in my eyes.

The first two thirds of 24/7 felt like a Steven King story adaptation, to be fair, until Dream shows up.

The Sound of her Wings was bittersweet and beautiful.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:20 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

24/7 is just a terrifying episode of television...

Just watched this and "The Sound of Her Wings." "24 Hours" was the issue that really sold me on Sandman when I first read it, and I'm so fucking happy that the show did it justice. These two episodes have been the best two so far. "The Sound of Her Wings" was fantastic.

Loved the casting of both Death and Desire. So far, this adaptation is knocking it out of the park, which is honestly just baffling. Sandman I honestly expected to get super fucked over considering how other, "simpler" adaptations have fared. I guess there's still a chance for this to fall flat on its face, but I'm impressed enough to think that won't happen.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:45 AM, Mladen said:

have seen some critics regarding the wokeness of adaptation but, honestly, perhaps it is because I am an Unspoiled :D

Anyone who is criticizing “The Sandman” Netfilx adaptation as “woke” is ignorant and clearly never read the comics.  This is about as faithful an adaptation of any work that I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But, in my earnest opinion rather less disturbing than the comic.

I honestly don't remember if I read the comic.  I know I haven't read ALL the Sandman run...I just know that that particular episode was terrifying, heartbreaking, and beyond well done...

24/7 is a bit more effective as an ep compared to a comic because the ep really focused on the people involved and fleshed them out more; they are basically quips come to life in the comic. 

Finished the rest of the season and really enjoyed it.  Looking forward to more.  The episodic storytelling got more distinctly Gaiman-ish as it went on, but that’s all good and not everything needs to have a clear arc.

Considering the violence, sex and horror elements make it feel quite adult content, it’s also completely childish in its morality*, world building, characterization and resolutions. It’s as bad as Harry Potter.  The Nada/Unity resolution was even more eye-rolling than the duel with Lucifer.  And yet the creative stories, heart, fun characters and not-quite-too-emo tone carry the whole thing along well.

It feels like it must have been very progressive at first publication to be this inclusive/representative on gender and sexuality.  But it all works well.  They’re all characters, not sock puppets or tokens.  It is a bit cringe though that the super emo, self important protagonist, who is responsible for all the dreams of all humanity, definitely looks like a self-insert by the author at the time.  I wish he meant that ironically but I doubt it  

*I think I mean another word other than morality, but I cannot grasp it right now as I type; my brain is fried.

13 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The Nada/Unity resolution was even more eye-rolling than the duel with Lucifer.

Sorry, I think you're either confused or really confused; Rose is Unity's great-granddaughter. Nada was only in ep 4, and only for a very tiny time. 

13 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It is a bit cringe though that the super emo, self important protagonist, who is responsible for all the dreams of all humanity, definitely looks like a self-insert by the author at the time.  I wish he meant that ironically but I doubt it

Yeah, that's fair, though I think he started looking more like Sandman as he got older, not that he started that way. 

Archived