Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN adaptation for Netflix

Werthead

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 7:22 PM, mormont said:

Yes, but the issue is: what is the payoff to those gambles? As Ran pointed out earlier, that payoff has surely changed if Netflix is hitting its ceiling on subscriber numbers.

I think this is the crux. If they’re not increasing subscribers then they must retain them. Subscribers aren’t going to stick around if the only new material is new shows and favourites aren’t renewed. 

Great news on the renewal. 

Exactly. Right now, my household cycles in and out of streaming channels with only keeping Netflix and Amazon (and we keep that mostly for shopping) all the time. I guess we keep Disney+ too since it's only $8. But HBO, Showtime, Starz, Hulu, etc. get added and removed regularly. Once Netflix stops having new content all the time or stop renewing enough favorites, we'll add them to our rotational queue. 

I generally keep Netflix and Amazon Prime permanently, and cycle through the others. I have to be very careful over Sky's Now TV sub (which carries most of HBO's stuff in the UK) as it is very expensive but the economics work out well during F1 season. If a TV show airs off-season (like Succession S4 looks like it might), that becomes a bit of a problem.

I have kept Disney+ going since it launched in the UK mainly as they've just done enough to get new stuff on there timed in a way that makes unsubbing and resubbing 5-6 weeks latter a bit annoying. Apple TV+ is the only one where I've dropped it, left it for months, and then been able to re-sub for one show and drop it again easily. Although it's also the cheapest, so isn't as big a drain as the others.

I have to find a good window to get Paramount+ to watch Halo and the two latest Star Trek shows, but that might be another while. I doubt that one will stay in regular rotation.

Finally started reading The Sandman which is literally lying around here for years.

Enjoying it pretty much so far, am half way through the Doll's House arc.

Just a quick question here without reading through this thread:

How much of the comic series does the first season of the show cover?

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

I have to find a good window to get Paramount+ to watch Halo and the two latest Star Trek shows, but that might be another while. I doubt that one will stay in regular rotation.

Halo was just ok, but getting Paramount+ for a month just for 1883 was well worth it. I had never seen Yellowstone, but I thoroughly enjoyed this prequel. The upcoming generation follow up (1923) stars Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren. Weird contract agreements prevent Yellowstone from being on P+, so I'll catch up with the main show someday.

/threadjack

Archived