To which characters of the ASoIaF do you feel empathy?

RadaGil

Hi there~ I have seen different surveys asking which character is your favorite, but I have never seen questions about empathy. 

Important notion: Empathy means experiencing someone else’s feelings, while sympathy is understanding someone else’s suffering. For example, when you read a moment in which character is happy you feel happiness with him/her and, on the contrary, when there is a part, in which character is betrayed or in danger, you also feel bitter/angry or scared. 

Please, share your feelings~ I'm quite interested in it, because currently I'm writing my thesis on this topic. Hope dear readers of ASoIaF will help me~ 

• 1 month later...

Oh man, when Tyrion didn't get any credits for being a pretty good hand of the king and saving the city from Stannis I got so mad to the point where I didnt want to read his chapters anymore.

But a character I will never have empathy or sympathy for is Cersei. Fucking bitch.

Squire Dalbridge. Not a POV character but I don't think that we need anything more than what was said by Qhorin when he meant for Dalbridge to hold his position and kill as many Freefolk as he could to give the rest of the party a chance to escape.

The manner with which he realized that all his vows and all his worth as Brother of the Watch had to be summarized in that situation. He accepted it almost instantusouly. I'd have loved to be able to read his mind trough a POV chapter where he may be reminisce about his life ; one of a forever-squire, who ended up in the Night's Watch, who must have had many adventures being a ranger, fought many raids and killed many Freefolk since he was the best archer the Watch had.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tyrion not getting any credit for any of his accomplishments by his father strikes a chord with me.

Jorah trying so hard but things never quite working out I can feel for too. 

Stannis being frustrated at living in his brother's shadow and being bullied by him and never getting recognition for his merits.

Davos struggling to do the right thing when he's surrounded by total jerks. 

Guess all told, I have a thing for underdogs.

I have empathy for the kids. Jon, Danearys, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Myrcella, Tommen, Gendry, the true King Hot Pie. They deserve a better world than the dumpster fire the "adults" made.

I have empathy for the true knights. Brienne, Pod. They try to do the right thing just because its the right thing. No chance and no choice.

I have empathy for the outcasts. Jon, Sam, Arya, Brienne, Pod. The world is absolute hell to those who don't conform to societal expectations.

I have empathy for the pawns. FAegon, Sansa, Myrcella, Tommen. They are good kids being manipulated by scumbags.

I have empathy for the saviours. Jon, Danearys. They are trying their best to stand up for the downtrodden and defenseless. Someone has to.

And I have empathy for good old Barristan Selmy, who just wants to do one good thing before he dies. Poor old guy.

Everyone else may be a good character, but unless they really try hard to redeem themselves, they are still awful, awful people. Jaime might enter into "empathy" territory for me, but everyone else can go jump off a cliff.

1 minute ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I'm sure that by the time she ends up in the porridge she'll be happy about it.

That will be a long time. BR's freezer (located just before the entrance to the cave) is full of meat.

Archived