Dareon was a victim of Arya's brand of "justice"

2 hours ago, TPTWP Timett said:

If Dareon was wearing a sword doesn't that mean you can be challenged in Braavos? I can't remember if he was also who goes looking for the Bravos who died?

Yes

Her knife vanished. "If you wear a sword at night it means you can be challenged. Did you want to fight them?"

Did Arya killed him at night or day? I cannot recall.

On 1/31/2021 at 5:51 AM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Dareon is not the most mature man to ever wear the black.  But we can all agree that he was twice the victim of injustice.  The first came from Lord Rowan and his daughter at Goldengrove.  And the second injustice came from Arya Stark.  Arya Stark murdered Dareon in Braavos.  Arya's thirst for blood and revenge is not justice. 

This is true but the murder of the old man was worse.   She killed the old man to pass a test from a church of killers.  Arya is deranged even if she is a high-functioning insane person.  

46 minutes ago, Rosetta Stone said:

This is true but the murder of the old man was worse.   She killed the old man to pass a test from a church of killers.  Arya is deranged even if she is a high-functioning insane person.  

So your saying everyone in verse who kills is insane?  Every member of the nights Watch and every person who has ever killed for a Lord or Lady in Westeros?

From now on I ask everyone who says Arya is 'insane' to explain why. If you say so and don't explain, I (and the rest of the people in this forum, will assume you have no leg to stand on and know it, but you like to make BS claims. I will quote this to any such comment.

There, that killed the 'how brutal were the Starks of old thread'. Let's hope it kills this one too, or at least the biased bullshit in it.

6 hours ago, TPTWP Timett said:

I believe it was right at dawn I'll try to get my books out tomorrow and check

It was actually at dusk when they both walked together and he reaffirmed his desertion: 

"What happened to your brother?" Cat asked. "The fat one. Did he ever find a ship to Oldtown? He said he was supposed to sail on the Lady Ushanora."

"We all were. Lord Snow's command. I told Sam, leave the old man, but the fat fool would not listen." The last light of the setting sun shone in his hair. "Well, it's too late now."

@Lilac & Gooseberries good point ;)

9 minutes ago, MissM said:

It was actually at dusk when they both walked together and he reaffirmed his desertion: 

"What happened to your brother?" Cat asked. "The fat one. Did he ever find a ship to Oldtown? He said he was supposed to sail on the Lady Ushanora."

"We all were. Lord Snow's command. I told Sam, leave the old man, but the fat fool would not listen." The last light of the setting sun shone in his hair. "Well, it's too late now."

@Lilac & Gooseberries good point ;)

Great find! In conclusion, Dareon was wearing a sword in public during night in Bravos and he accepted again that he is adeserter. I still cannot see how he is innocent.

23 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Great find! In conclusion, Dareon was wearing a sword in public during night in Bravos and he accepted again that he is adeserter. I still cannot see how he is innocent.

You don't understand, the fact that he says he's innocent obviously means he is in fact innocent, and thus his desertion and abandonment of Sam and Aemon is totally okay, making Arya even worse than Ramsay for killing him.

5 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

You don't understand, the fact that he says he's innocent obviously means he is in fact innocent, and thus his desertion and abandonment of Sam and Aemon is totally okay, making Arya even worse than Ramsay for killing him.

I see. Maybe someone should inform the Braavosi as well to have exemptions for people who say that they are innocent.

It's a great observation, tho I don't think it makes his murder okay, as he didn't accept any duel, but it does make me think that Arya justifies it to herself in that way.

13 hours ago, TPTWP Timett said:

If Dareon was wearing a sword doesn't that mean you can be challenged in Braavos? I can't remember if he was also who goes looking for the Bravos who died?

"Dareon is dead. The black singer who was sleeping at the Happy Port. He was really a deserter from the Night's Watch. Someone slit his throat and pushed him into a canal, but they kept his boots."

Does this looks like a duel to you? 

21 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

I see. Maybe someone should inform the Braavosi as well to have exemptions for people who say that they are innocent.

Our modern world too. Why don't we just ask the accused if they're innocent or not? Surely they would know.

1 hour ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Wow, you've found a nice little loophole! :D

23 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

It's a great observation, tho I don't think it makes his murder okay, as he didn't accept any duel, but it does make me think that Arya justifies it to herself in that way.

But do we see the actual act? Or what Arya initally says to Dareon? 

Also, the fact that Arya ends up with Dareon's boots makes this exchange rather interesting too:

"He has no coin," mocked the fair-haired bravo. His dark-haired friend grinned and said something in Braavosi. "My friend Terro is chilly. Be our good fat friend and give him your cloak."

"Don't do that either," said the barrow girl, "or else they'll ask for your boots next, and before long you'll be naked."

"Little cats who howl too loud get drowned in the canals," warned the fair-haired bravo.

"Not if they have claws." And suddenly there was a knife in the girl's left hand, a blade as skinny as she was. The one called Terro said something to his fair-haired friend and the two of them moved off, chuckling at one another.

"Thank you," Sam told the girl when they were gone.

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Wait do people seriously think she challenged him to a duel?  lol.  It is pretty obvious she just shanked him which honestly I have no issue with at all.

Yeah, making up excuses and loopholes like this only strengthens the other side of the argument. Arya didn't challenge him to a duel, she executed him, plain and simple.

19 minutes ago, MissM said:

Wow, you've found a nice little loophole! :D

But do we see the actual act? Or what Arya initally says to Dareon? 

Also, the fact that Arya ends up with Dareon's boots makes this exchange rather interesting too:

"He has no coin," mocked the fair-haired bravo. His dark-haired friend grinned and said something in Braavosi. "My friend Terro is chilly. Be our good fat friend and give him your cloak."

"Don't do that either," said the barrow girl, "or else they'll ask for your boots next, and before long you'll be naked."

"Little cats who howl too loud get drowned in the canals," warned the fair-haired bravo.

"Not if they have claws." And suddenly there was a knife in the girl's left hand, a blade as skinny as she was. The one called Terro said something to his fair-haired friend and the two of them moved off, chuckling at one another.

"Thank you," Sam told the girl when they were gone.

great observation but... Arya wouldn't have won the duel, a skinny little girl with a knife against a somewhat trained man with a sword? Near impossible odds, no matter how good a fighter Arya is.

29 minutes ago, MissM said:

A succinct statement of how he died doesn't include what lead up to it. He has a sword, she can challenge at night according to Braavosi law. 

Where it is written that he has sword in the material, and especially in the chapter where it happens? 

I daresay in fair duel Daeron would have  advantage in killing or at least hurting Arya - we don't see she has wound or scar after the murder.

How is the dueling practice in Braavos a law? If it is tolerated it doesn't mean it is proscribed by law.

Last we see about Daeron is him heading to Green Eel Inn while having (in his belief) a friendly chat with urchin and heading to dark alley.

Dareon was leaving too. He had promised to sing at the Inn of the Green Eel this evening, he told her as they strolled along together. "Every time I play the Eel I come away with silver," he boasted, "and some nights there are captains there, and owners." They crossed a little bridge, and made their way down a crooked back street as the shadows of the day grew longer. "Soon I will be playing in the Purple, and after that the Sealord's Palace," Dareon went on. Cat's empty barrow clattered over the cobblestones, making its own sort of rattling music. "Yesterday I ate herring with the whores, but within the year I'll be having emperor crab with courtesans."

"We all were. Lord Snow's command. I told Sam, leave the old man, but the fat fool would not listen." The last light of the setting sun shone in his hair. "Well, it's too late now."

"Just so," said Cat as they stepped into the gloom of a twisty little alley.

19 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Yeah, making up excuses and loopholes like this only strengthens the other side of the argument. Arya didn't challenge him to a duel, she executed him, plain and simple.

I wasn't actually suggesting she challenged him to a duel in the traditional sense. I just wanted to show that young men dying in Braavos wasn't a big deal and she knew that as shown by the Sam quotes. It's not a loophole she killed him she's a killer but she's not evil she's a child.

On 1/31/2021 at 5:51 AM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Dareon is not the most mature man to ever wear the black.  But we can all agree that he was twice the victim of injustice.  The first came from Lord Rowan and his daughter at Goldengrove.  And the second injustice came from Arya Stark.  Arya Stark murdered Dareon in Braavos.  Arya's thirst for blood and revenge is not justice. 

Both are indeed unjust.  Dareon was a victim of, first a corrupt noble, and second, of a psychologically unbalanced vigilante. 

Archived