WWE: Royal Rumble #34, Jan 31. Will anyone watch it?

Daeron the Daring

Mostly just watch New Japan these days, but yeah the Rumble is special. I usually go out of my way to watch it.

Won't be watching it live though this year, not worth staying up until dawn for. The atmosphere is so important and without a crowd there really is something missing.

22 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I havent watched any WWE in years

Same. Except a few 5-10-15 year old matches for nostalgia.

22 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

but I cant think of any activity that makes less sense without fans being present. 

Totally agreed. That's why Wrestlemania isn't any more special than any other event thanks to the pandemic.

16 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Won't be watching it live though this year, not worth staying up until dawn for. The atmosphere is so important and without a crowd there really is something missing.

You're right.

16 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

yeah the Rumble is special

This is the event that receives the least damage from having no crowd.

The Rumble is indeed special and other than Mania is the only time I consistently check out what's going on in WWE over the past..oh, almost 20 years now.  Whether I watch it or not depends on how bored I am and availability on any given Sunday - I refuse to pay for it (other than when I had the Network) - we'll see if I'm bored enough tonight.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I havent watched any WWE in years, but I cant think of any activity that makes less sense without fans being present. 

Yeah, the lack of fans uniquely impacts wrestling because it's a show that relies on crowd interaction.  

That being said, I may catch the Rumble tonight as it's always my favorite PPV.

The Thunderdome with the virtual fans really does mitigate that to a certain extent.  I think they’ve done about a good a job as possible.

My son and I will watch tonight.

I see they're once again paying Goldberg tons of money to stumble around for two minutes.  Hopefully he doesn't seriously injure McIntyre in the process.

Any rumors on surprise entrants?  That's always a big part of the fun.  Checked 411 and the only one I see is Trish Stratus.  That..does not excite me.

Yes, the fact that you have Goldberg in a WWE Title Match and Kevin Owens for the the Universal title just says how thin the roster is these days.

At the risk of sounding sexist, I think they have pushed the women’s division too much. They have some good athletes there, but then they put out someone like Naya Jax and she can’t do anything impressive athletically, but she’s too big to feel like someone can challenge her.

I also don’t like how they have split the talent they have spread everyone so much over the Raw and Smackdown brands.  It’s hard for me to take the Universal Championship as equivalent to the WWE title, but Roman Reigns still feels a bigger star than McIntyre.

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yes, the fact that you have Goldberg in a WWE Title Match and Kevin Owens for the the Universal title just says how thin the roster is these days.

At the risk of sounding sexist, I think they have pushed the women’s division too much. They have some good athletes there, but then they put out someone like Naya Jax and she can’t do anything impressive athletically, but she’s too big to feel like someone can challenge her.

I also don’t like how they have split the talent they have spread everyone so much over the Raw and Smackdown brands.  It’s hard for me to take the Universal Championship as equivalent to the WWE title, but Roman Reigns still feels a bigger star than McIntyre.

Nia is just total trash.  Not good in the ring or on the mic, but she's related to Rock so she gets pushed.  She never should have made it out of NXT.  Asuka was the only one there who ever got a good match out of her, and I think that says more about Asuka than Nia.  

See here’s a disparity.  Sasha Banks is entertaining.  I think she’s a good talker and is good in the ring, but then you get Carmella in here and I just lose all interest.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

See here’s a disparity.  Sasha Banks is entertaining.  I think she’s a good talker and is good in the ring, but then you get Carmella in here and I just lose all interest.

Yeah, they have a tendency to push the least talented women on their roster for whatever reason.  They do have some real talent there.  NXT is loaded with great female performers.  But Carmella is just mediocre at everything.  At least she's not offensively bad like Nia is.

The best contestants in the women’s rumble all seemed like NXT gals.

And now... last man standing with Kevin Owens.  Can we just skip to the part where Reigns wins and start the actual Rumble?

Archived