Daario and Barristan symbolism for Aegon and Dany

Alyn Oakenfist

So when you look at it there are quite a few interesting dichotomies/contrasts in Meereen in ADWD. Raznak vs Shavepate, Quaithe vs Green Grace, Quentyn vs Hizdahr, Barristan vs Daario. All of them are underlying currents of the same fundamental dichotomy happening inside Dany, Mother of Dragons vs Mysha. Now today I want to look at Barristan and Daario, because I think they are quite interesting and I think there's a very interesting element of symbolism and foreshadowing going on in there. So out of all the character contrasts in ADWD, none is as clear and obvious as Barristan vs Daario.

- Barristan is one of the most honorable persons there are (or at least tries to be), while for Daario honor is entirely meaningless

- Barristan is an image of chastity, while Daario... well let's just say it's a miracle Dany doesn't have any STDs

- Barristan is plagued by regrets for all his mistakes and missed opportunities, while Daario were told "sleeps like a babe". with no nightmares no regrets, no nothing.

- Even their coloring is in contrast, Barristan wearing the plain white of the Kingsguard, while Daario is the human equivalent of a peacock.

- Finally and most importantly for this debate, Barristan constantly promotes compromise and justice, while Daario, I think in every chapter proposes to kill somebody. Barristan seeks peace and reconciliation, while Daario seeks fire and blood.

The two are the good and the bad angel on Dany's shoulder.

Now, that is interesting enough on its own, but I think things become really interesting when we get to Aegon. Now as I said before, Aegon is very interesting, because he basically steal Dany's image of the Targaryen savior come from beyond the sea, which up until ADWD we all assumed was going to be Dany's schtick. So we are going to get two different faces of the Targaryen savior/conqueror. And here we come to a pretty interesting future plot point. Based on the characters and the set up, I and a lot of other people think Barristan is going to go from Dany to Aegon in TWOW. So, coming back to our symbolism, Dany is going to lose her good angel, and the symbol of peace and reconciliation in her council to Aegon, leaving her with only Daario. So what do you think, is this foreshadowing, for Aegon going for a peace and reconciliation approach and Dany going with a Fire and Blood approach?

Btw, this whole thing would make Aegon being a Blackfyre a bit more interesting, as before the Blackfyre rebellion Daeron was the one that bought Dorne peacefully into the fold, while the Blackfyres were the ones advocating for a more militarist Fire and Blood approach with Dorne, in contrast to Dany and Aegon.

2 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So when you look at it there are quite a few interesting dichotomies/contrasts in Meereen in ADWD. Raznak vs Shavepate, Quaithe vs Green Grace, Quentyn vs Hizdahr, Barristan vs Daario. All of them are underlying currents of the same fundamental dichotomy happening inside Dany, Mother of Dragons vs Mysha. Now today I want to look at Barristan and Daario, because I think they are quite interesting and I think there's a very interesting element of symbolism and foreshadowing going on in there. So out of all the character contrasts in ADWD, none is as clear and obvious as Barristan vs Daario.

- Barristan is one of the most honorable persons there are (or at least tries to be), while for Daario honor is entirely meaningless

- Barristan is an image of chastity, while Daario... well let's just say it's a miracle Dany doesn't have any STDs

- Barristan is plagued by regrets for all his mistakes and missed opportunities, while Daario were told "sleeps like a babe". with no nightmares no regrets, no nothing.

- Even their coloring is in contrast, Barristan wearing the plain white of the Kingsguard, while Daario is the human equivalent of a peacock.

- Finally and most importantly for this debate, Barristan constantly promotes compromise and justice, while Daario, I think in every chapter proposes to kill somebody. Barristan seeks peace and reconciliation, while Daario seeks fire and blood.

Now, that is interesting enough on its own, but I think things become really interesting when we get to Aegon. Now as I said before, Aegon is very interesting, because he basically steal Dany's image of the Targaryen savior come from beyond the sea, which up until ADWD we all assumed was going to be Dany's schtick. So we are going to get two different faces of the Targaryen savior/conqueror. And here we come to a pretty interesting future plot point. Based on the characters and the set up, I and a lot of other people think Barristan is going to go from Dany to Aegon in TWOW. So, coming back to our symbolism, Dany is going to lose her good angel, and the symbol of peace and reconciliation in her council to Aegon, leaving her with only Daario. So what do you think, is this foreshadowing, for Aegon going for a peace and reconciliation approach and Dany going with a Fire and Blood approach?

Btw, this whole thing would make Aegon being a Blackfyre a bit more interesting, as before the Blackfyre rebellion Daeron was the one that bought Dorne peacefully into the fold, while the Blackfyres were the ones advocating for a more militarist Fire and Blood approach with Dorne, in contrast to Dany and Aegon.

Thats interesting take, also if i remember correctly GRRM said that he will do a plot twist in TWOW with a character that is no longer alive in the show and one of the main candidates for tihs is Barristan, also he confirmed in a later interview that he is going for that twist. So this is very interesting, one of the betrayals Dany saw in the visions might be Barristan?

P.s Also what comes as an idea is the dream Tyrion has - where he fights side by side with Bittersteel and Barristan, seems like a prophetic dream on a fight where Tyrion, Aegon/JonCon/GoldenCompany and Barristan will fight together versus the Lannisters, him slaying his father might be a metaphor for slaying Cersei and Bittersteel for the Golden Company.

6 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Based on the characters and the set up, I and a lot of other people think Barristan is going to go from Dany to Aegon in TWOW.

I'm starting to like this theory the more I think about it.  A trend that might be going on with Kingsguard getting themselves FUBAR in Dorne. 

- Aemon the Dragonknight gets kidnapped and put into a cage in a viper pit

- Arthur Dayne dies in a duel keeping Lyanna from seeing her brother

- Arys Oakheart ...and that mess

- Barristan may be next to get the Dorne™️ treatment?

7 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Completely agree. And what is also interesting is that Barristan might be all three treasons rolled into one:

1) Blood - Aegon is Rhaegar's son, or at least presented as such, though there are also theories about him being Ashara Dayne's son

2) Gold - Golden Company

3) Love - either respect (platonic love) for Rhaegar, or else love for Ashara

Archived