UK politics: Veni Vidi Vaccinati

polishgenius

Van Der Leyen is just determined not to make any friends, isn't she? Like it's not even like her point is unfounded but making out the UK approach was pure marketing rather than, you know, getting it out as fast as possible because that's what needs to happen is just snide pettyness on her part.

In other news, sad to see that Captain Tom has died in hospital after catching Covid. Wbat a don though.

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If I got to choose the last year of my life, I'd choose something like that. Except i'd turn down the knighthood. 

Yeah, at the very least he can feel he achieved something at the end. I imagine I’ll spend the last few years watching tv and moaning.. pretty much same as now 

30 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Bah, I’d sacrifice an arm, preferably someone else’s, for a knighthood!

I was always wondering about that. What is it good for? I mean the knighthood, not the arm.

What’s a gold medal, or a World Cup, or a Nobel prize good for? Humans like recognition. This human is a proud patriot and monarchist. I’d be terrified of meeting the Queen, but being knighted would make me, and my family and friends, so proud we’d burst. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Van Der Leyen is just determined not to make any friends, isn't she? Like it's not even like her point is unfounded but making out the UK approach was pure marketing rather than, you know, getting it out as fast as possible because that's what needs to happen is just snide pettyness on her part.

I disagree with a number of the things the EU has done to try and force Astrazenca to provide them with more vaccine doses but, to be fair to them, the less vaccine doses they get the more of their citizens will die. It is understandable. The petty comments from Macron, Von der Leyen and the other French minister Beaune just seem designed to deflect blame from themselves and could actually cause deaths if they significantly undermine confidence in one of the available vaccines.

It’s like if you get an emergency overnight passport renewal nobody is refusing you entry at the border because of doubts over the thoroughness and effectiveness of getting your passport approved. The process is either done or it isn’t.

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I disagree with a number of the things the EU has done to try and force Astrazenca to provide them with more vaccine doses but, to be fair to them, the less vaccine doses they get the more of their citizens will die. It is understandable. The petty comments from Macron, Von der Leyen and the other French minister Beaune just seem designed to deflect blame from themselves and could actually cause deaths if they significantly undermine confidence in one of the available vaccines.

No, actually the whole argument with waiting for the EMA out of safety reasons is old here in Germany it was made already in autumn and has nothing to do with last week AZ row. In the end a lot of people will die if we do not get enough (75 % or so) to take the vaccine. Germany is very vaccine critical and to have the most safe authorization  even if it means  less speed, is seen here as the only way to go. In a country with a less vaccine critical population you can come to other conclusions.

I agree though that Macron said that the AZ vaccine doesnt work in people over 65 and this is really not true.

Yeah, I'd distinguish what the German health authorities have said from the others I listed. They did come out and refute the false stories about efficacy in the German media. I'd still think ideally it'd be better to have waited on using the vaccine on over 65s in a more low key way, because some people are idiots and were bound to misinterpret what they were saying as we've seen, but I suppose it couldn't really be helped.

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

What’s a gold medal, or a World Cup, or a Nobel prize good for? Humans like recognition. This human is a proud patriot and monarchist. I’d be terrified of meeting the Queen, but being knighted would make me, and my family and friends, so proud we’d burst. 

I guess it's a bit of a cultural difference. Gold medal and Nobel price I get. I was just wondering about this "enoblement" thing as something that is considered a good thing. But if you see it as a recognition of sorts, I can completely understand the point.

6 minutes ago, kiko said:

I guess it's a bit of a cultural difference. Gold medal and Nobel price I get. I was just wondering about this "enoblement" thing as something that is considered a good thing. But if you see it as a recognition of sorts, I can completely understand the point.

Its rather like the Medal of Freedom in the US, but with more glamour and the prospect of getting your own crememative plate.

Archived