UK politics: Veni Vidi Vaccinati

polishgenius

Anyone want a good chuckle? Fareed Zakaria on CNN today held up Boris Johnson as an outstanding example of a conservative politician American Republicans should model themselves after.

eta: he especially noted two senior cabinet positions were filled by PoC. 

1 hour ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Can I just ask how many other people have watched the 6 min video of Handforth parish council 8 times or more like I have? I just can't get enough of Jackie Weaver. 

But have you read the standing orders?

Pretty standard. My ex's mother and stepfather were town councillors and this sort of things seem bizarrely common. Probably the best story was the rage-filled meeting when councillors were insisting on moving disabled parking to a hill with a very steep incline and, upon being told by another councillor in a wheelchair that this would be illegal and people in wheelchairs getting out of the vehicles would risk rolling down the hill to their doom, asked him "What the fuck do you know about it?"

What was bizarre was that they didn't really have any authority to determine where parking spaces should go, so the whole thing was a waste of time.

Have to be honest I haven't been as enraptured by the Handforth Parish Council stuff as many others, for the simple reason that it doesn't appear to be all that different to many of the work Zoom calls I've had to endure this past year. I'm a little bit like 'what is unusual about this?'

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Pretty standard. My ex's mother and stepfather were town councillors and this sort of things seem bizarrely common. Probably the best story was the rage-filled meeting when councillors were insisting on moving disabled parking to a hill with a very steep incline and, upon being told by another councillor in a wheelchair that this would be illegal and people in wheelchairs getting out of the vehicles would risk rolling down the hill to their doom, asked him "What the fuck do you know about it?"

What was bizarre was that they didn't really have any authority to determine where parking spaces should go, so the whole thing was a waste of time.

Ugh, it's early morning, for me, and my first coffee hasn't fully kicked in, I read your top line as "my ex mother" and I sat wondering how that would work for a bit longer than I should have before re-reading it.

I don't know what people's work places must be like for their Zoom calls to be like that. I hope I'm not one of the lucky ones to have had completely fine remote meetings over the last year, including with officials in overseas govts. We've definitely had robust discussions, but they have never got out of hand.

14 hours ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Can I just ask how many other people have watched the 6 min video of Handforth parish council 8 times or more like I have? I just can't get enough of Jackie Weaver. 

Who and what? 

Archived