UK politics: Veni Vidi Vaccinati

polishgenius

I've read it, read it but not understood it. Am I still allowed to post? After all, half of the time most of us post with a significant lack of understanding of what we're talking about, so it's pretty situation normal really.

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I am glad I still have no idea what all this is about :uhoh:

It is very much about UK (local) Politics.

It was The top news story friday?  or was it Thursday.   It was more tweeted about than Covid, Brexit and the weather.  

@The Anti-Targ  Under normal circumstances I'd say a basic awareness, no need for full understanding would be ok to allow you to post.  But in this instances - Read the Standing Orders, and UNDERSTAND them.

It was Friday, mostly. I know this because I had to attend a student union election committee meeting that evening, and if you don't think the chat that night was lively, you don't know your student hacks like I do!

8 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

It was more tweeted about than Covid, Brexit and the weather.

I did see it all over my twitter feed, but to be fair I work a lot so sometimes the days all meld together, especially when one works nights!

Pretty sure I slept like 16 hours on Friday :uhoh:

I'm loving today's assertion that "the great british public" - known idiots en masse; and perfectly capable of seeing the clear and consistent message, and not being at all confused by directly conflicting information coming from cabinet ministers 24 hours apart.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:41 AM, Which Tyler said:

Parts of Scotland hit -22* overnight.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-56022387

Meanwhile, in Scotland, apparently, poor people still need to eat:

That is insane for a UK temp. I've been in -35 but that was at nearly 3000 metres in the Alps. Can you imagine being homeless in that? 

I really don't care at all for the life, times and struggles of the privileged (first world problems x100) of the Royal and former/ex/occasionally Royal family. But I do dance a wee happy dance on the inside whenever I hear that the Royals have had a win over the gutter tabloid press. So I was glad to read a headline that Meghan Markle won a court case against a tabloid. I didn't open or read the article, because I'm still not interested in spending time learning about the details of the lives of the Royals.

Though I am probably a little too disrespectful by enjoying watching 'The Windsors' immensely. 

Just a quick note on the above, "Boris Johnson battles experts to save Christmas" and "Boris Johnson says ‘we did everything we could’"

NHS has released figures that 101,956 people were in hospital being treated for Covid in January*.
For perspective, the entirety of 2020 saw 242,307 people in hospital being treated for Covid.

Officially, 2020 saw 80,830 people die of Covid (realistically 94k)
Less than 6 weeks of 2021 has seen 41,496 people died of Covid (unconfirmed as final figures are about 2 weeks behind)

* Government numbers are actually higher, at 112,958, with a further 15,252 in the first week of February
ETA: I think I've partially worked it out, if you look at 02-29 of January (4 weeks) gives 104k. Of course, some new admissions may be counted twice as the same patient is admitted to one hospital, and then moved to another when a bed becomes available

Bit of a weird one. The government is wants to create a "Free Speech Champion" to defend free speech and academic freedom on campuses, with the power to fine college or student bodies that "cancel, dismiss or demote people over their views."

Simultaneously they also want to host a meeting with the UK's biggest heritage bodies and charities to tell them "to defend our culture and history" from people who want to tell the full story of history, Britain, Empire etc, the bad as well as the good.

These do seem somewhat opposite positions they are trying to advance simultaneously. "People need to be free to express opinions no matter how difficult they are to hear, but also no."

To keep people so riled up and confused they won't notice that Britain's trade, manufacture and financial industries are sliding over to Amsterdam? :dunno:  Hey, that stuff works with about 30% of folks over here!

I thought it might be that the government had gotten tired of having constant U-turns three days after they announce a half-baked, poorly-conceived policy, so they put the the proposal and the U-turn into the same document to be more efficient.

Archived