UK politics: Veni Vidi Vaccinati

polishgenius

2 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

The Royal Family’s best approach now is to not get into the gutter with these two twits. Utterly ignore them and as their association with the family grows ever more distant their relevance to the world will diminish correspondingly.

Any interaction whatsoever will clearly be weaponized into future interview fodder by the fame hungry duo. Leave them be, as they have asked, make a clean and permanent break, and let the Royal family continue without them. 

Very sensible.  I think there is limited sympathy for the plight of titled millionaires in the modern age.

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I agree with that - I bet the question was not asked in a sensitive manner, to say the least. It will be interesting if someone admits to be the one who asked the question.

The idea that anyone in the royal family ever approaches any conversation in a sensitive manner would be utterly naive.I doubt anyone ever say anything except exactly what is on their mind.

2 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

The Royal Family’s best approach now is to not get into the gutter with these two twits. Utterly ignore them and as their association with the family grows ever more distant their relevance to the world will diminish correspondingly.

Any interaction whatsoever will clearly be weaponized into future interview fodder by the fame hungry duo. Leave them be, as they have asked, make a clean and permanent break, and let the Royal family continue without them. 

Pretty much, best to stay out of it. While all this mud slinging has generated a lot of buzz right now, Meghan and Harry are going to run out of reaons for existing once they've run out of mud to sling. I'm sure they picture themselves as spokespeople for social justice around the world and thats how they want to push their careers, but I don't think that there is a ton of milage in that, especially if they continue to dent their own public opinion every time they speak.

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Did anyone else think that it was all a bit 'meh'? I thought there would be a proper bombshell, but without context, even the 'how dark will the baby be' lacks any real impact. 

It’s not really a bombshell at all, though the media are talking it up. The whole way it was discussed in the interview is odd. It’s ‘Harry heard someone say something’ and then letting Oprah put her interpretation of it and just leaving it out in the air like a fart. Then Harry won’t put context on what was said or reveal who said it, but is seemingly ok with still discussing it. It’s just all a bit weird.

I don’t think there is anything particularly new or interesting coming out of that interview. We’ve known for decades that the Royals are a cold unwelcoming bunch, certainly aren’t politically correct, are not especially understanding of people’s mental struggles, and who squabble and argue with each other like anyone else. 

I agree, it is all a bit meh. It won’t stop it being talked about for weeks though.

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Did anyone else think that it was all a bit 'meh'? I thought there would be a proper bombshell, but without context, even the 'how dark will the baby be' lacks any real impact. 

TBH I feel more sympathy for Joffrey than Meghan and Harry.

9 minutes ago, SeanF said:

That’s harsh, for all the crap that Joffery went through growing up, he at least was never cut off and made to live in California, forced to make Netflix documentaries for a living, to pay for his enormous extravagant lifestyle. 

Gods, i can't wait for the next government U-turn, Covid fuck-up or Cronyism Controversy and move on past a bunch of people I don't give a flying fuck about, explicitly seeking a lot of publicity so that they can tell everyone how much they hate publicity; and how they hadn't realised that putting themselves out of a union (family) meant that they might be considered to be outside of that union.

Frankly, the whole damn thing bores me; it's time to move on.

52 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Joffrey would have had Piers Morgan fired from a trebuchet.

Despite my republican sentiments, and their undoubted privilege, I'm not without some sympathy. The British press are ravening, hypocritical vultures and I'm not sure that the Royal watching public are much better. I made the mistake of spending a few weeks on Quora recently and even just that one site had literally hundred of threads of brutally vile attacks on Meghan and her mother. I don't care who the person is, that level of hatred must be hard to deal with emotionally.

2 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

Despite my republican sentiments, and their undoubted privilege, I'm not without some sympathy. The British press are ravening, hypocritical vultures and I'm not sure that the Royal watching public are much better. I made the mistake of spending a few weeks on Quora recently and even just that one site had literally hundred of threads of brutally vile attacks on Meghan and her mother. I don't care who the person is, that level of hatred must be hard to deal with emotionally.

Quora is something else.

I still think it would have been fun if Mrs. Merton was alive to do the interview.  "Tell me Meghan, what was it that first attracted you about millionaire Prince Harry?"

34 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Quora is something else.

I still think it would have been fun if Mrs. Merton was alive to do the interview.  "Tell me Meghan, what was it that first attracted you about millionaire Prince Harry?"

I'm not familiar with Mrs Merton, maybe because I'm from the colonies (Australia). I did vote for a republic in the referendum back in the 90's, so maybe all this will stir up that debate again.

55 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

I'm not familiar with Mrs Merton, maybe because I'm from the colonies (Australia). I did vote for a republic in the referendum back in the 90's, so maybe all this will stir up that debate again.

2 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

Bullying is bullying, regardless of the instigator's or their victim's social standing. I lean to republicanism (being Canadian) and as such have very little use or interest in the whole family, but I detest bullying. BTW, as a successful actress, Meghan Markle probably had a higher net worth than Harry when they met. She can always go back to acting, but being a royal without a country gets you nothing but the charity of your family. Just ask Harry's grandad about that.

10 minutes ago, maarsen said:

BTW, as a successful actress, Meghan Markle probably had a higher net worth than Harry when they met. She can always go back to acting, but being a royal without a country gets you nothing but the charity of your family. Just ask Harry's grandad about that.

Inheriting £10 million from your mother gets you £10 million though.

Archived