UK politics: Veni Vidi Vaccinati

polishgenius

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know why it's not credible she was told not to seek help.  I don't care how many connections Harry has, the firm/institution/whatever the fuck you wanna call it pressuring her not to do so due to PR concerns is entirely plausible - even ignoring their past behavior.

I dont doubt that this probably happened. I certainly dont doubt the situation caused her MH and made her consider suicide. I'd be surprised if anyone could go into that family and not be severely affected, and she had it far worse than Diana, Fergie and Kate. My issue is whether someone should be forced out of a job for asking whether it happened in the way described. 

Personally my interpretation was that Morgan was questioning this specific event rather than believing her about having MH issues. And I think the quote I shared above makes it more likely rather than less likely that is what he was saying. 

Hes still a massive bell end though, and should have been forced out many many times before, just not this time for me. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Personally my interpretation was that Morgan was questioning this specific event rather than believing her about having MH issues. And I think the quote I shared above makes it more likely rather than less likely that is what he was saying. 

Have you read what he's published on the matter?  I haven't seen what he said on his show (frankly I didn't even know he still had a show), but here's what he wrote:

From the moment Oprah announced her scoop, I predicted to anyone who asked me that Meghan would aggressively play the mental health and race cards to deflect from any criticism of herself and her own behaviour or accountability.

So, moving on from Megan, Harry and Piers Morgan, because who cares? A police officer has been arrested in connection with the disappearance of the woman who's been all over the news recently, Sarah Everard. Bloody hell.

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

So, moving on from Megan, Harry and Piers Morgan, because who cares? A police officer has been arrested in connection with the disappearance of the woman who's been all over the news recently, Sarah Everard. Bloody hell.

Yeah, it's a big worry. But I've seen enough absolute weirdos in my time in the job to not be surprised. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Its just that basically everything else they said came across as a half truth, exaggeration or outright lie. 

This is a fairer criticism. Harry playing coy about who said it is what bothers me, but at this point it seems like he's either fingering his "dad" or his brother, and I have a hard time believing the latter would be so ham-handed about it. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

And not to drive the point home, but... Morgan is a journalist 

No he's not. He's an entertainer playing an opinion journalist from time to time.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I don't know why it's not credible she was told not to seek help.  I don't care how many connections Harry has, the firm/institution/whatever the fuck you wanna call it pressuring her not to do so due to PR concerns is entirely plausible - even ignoring their past behavior.

This all started over an old stuffy white person saying old stuffy white things. The same people are likely to think it's important to hide any mental health issues out of fear of negative press. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Have you read what he's published on the matter?  I haven't seen what he said on his show (frankly I didn't even know he still had a show), but here's what he wrote:

I do think there is a difference between saying that someone is using their mental health issues as a shield to deflect criticism and outright disbelieving that they have mental health issues. 

As for whether she was told not to seek help, again, there is something plausible in that , as I suspect there is a bit of ‘stiff upper lip’ mentality around the palace, but again , was this exaggerated? Has this been a misunderstanding? I do think there appears to be a lot of communication problems, clearly Brits and especially those in Buckingham Palace don’t  talk in the same way as Hollywood, and I think that could be quite a problem. It might be quite hard to gauge people’s intentions when coming from such a different culture 

4 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Harry and Meghan must be kicking themselves; all they had to do was admit to being best friends with a paedophile, and they could have dropped all their duties while keeping their titles.

It seems the most important quality in the royal family is quietly disappearing into the background when you fuck up. Uppityness will not be tolerated. 

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No he's not. He's an entertainer playing an opinion journalist from time to time.

I can understand why you say that, but Morgan is an actual qualified and published journalist. A disreputable and bad one with lax professional standards, but he is actually a journalist.

Can someone tell me why the people - UK, US or rest of the world -, who are getting economcially squeezed and are in a dire situation, should worry about rich assholes complaining about other rich assholes? I mean, deep down, they're all members of the same exploitative oppressive class that shits on the common people and live off the back of the poor, it's just that some play the caring rich people, and some of the plebs is gullible enough to believe it. A bit like the thin difference there might be between Murdoch and Bezos - both billionaire scum looking only for themselves and exploiting workers and customers.

4 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Can someone tell me why the people - UK, US or rest of the world -, who are getting economcially squeezed and are in a dire situation, should worry about rich assholes complaining about other rich assholes? I mean, deep down, they're all members of the same exploitative oppressive class that shits on the common people and live off the back of the poor, it's just that some play the caring rich people, and some of the plebs is gullible enough to believe it. A bit like the thin difference there might be between Murdoch and Bezos - both billionaire scum looking only for themselves and exploiting workers and customers.

Why does anyone care about celebrity gossip? I mean really that’s all this is essentially, a step up from a soap opera.

Having that, there are interesting parallels between this and the general ‘culture war’ themes going on. Looking at polling you see that younger people sympathise with Meghan and Harry and as people get older they tend to not sympathise with them. It’s also weirdly represents a clash of new vs old values. 

Hopefully once we are all out of lockdown this stuff will be a lot less interesting as we’ll have more going on in our lives 

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I do think there is a difference between saying that someone is using their mental health issues as a shield to deflect criticism and outright disbelieving that they have mental health issues. 

Literally like three graphs down from that quote he wrote this:

This was the acting performance of her life, with every word, every facial expression carefully planned and choreographed.

In fact, it it's not late, someone should nominate it for the Oscars.

Then this:

why should we believe anything that comes out of her mouth?

If you wanna talk about things that aren't credible, arguing Morgan isn't blatantly suggesting she's lying about her mental health issues is not credible.

58 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

I'am not sure why it occupies my mind, but it does. Maybe it's because of the crown. My country had been deprived of rightful monarch by outer, hostile powers and I think I have some phantom feelings for the institution :rolleyes: If it was rich commoner vs rich commoner I wouldn't care.

BTW does it take to be evil to get rich or does the wealth makes one turn evil? This is important, because I want to know if I should remain poor.

1 hour ago, Clueless Northman said:

It's radical chic v upper class conservatism.  That's a conflict that dates back as far as the Roman Republic.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

ITV are in the middle of a mental health awareness campaign. They were absolutely right in giving this oaf the bullet. 

What I found hilarious is his nattering on about 'free speech', while simultaeously storming off a show when someone else offered their own 'free speech'. Honestly, these clowns are never consistent with their beliefs. and while they can dish it out, are certainly the biggest snowflakes around when hearing a dissenting opinion.

Anyway, regarding the royal saga, being rich doesnt inure you to racism or mental health issues.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have to say the Queen is proper old school 'some recollections of events differed' is perfectly judged as a comeback. 

Indeed. I mean, her favourite son recalled being in Pizza Express at the same time he was in fact fucking an underaged victim of sex trafficking. 

5 hours ago, mormont said:

I can understand why you say that, but Morgan is an actual qualified and published journalist. A disreputable and bad one with lax professional standards, but he is actually a journalist.

He started as a journalist, but when you start monetizing yourself as an entertainer and show no journalistic integrity for over a decade, you cease being a legitimate journalist.

Archived