US Politics: The Republicans problem with small packages

Kalbear

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I think the safer/more realistic tack would be lobbying Manchin et al. to include the 10k in the reconciliation bill - which it's curious Biden did not include as part of the proposal.  That could be something Schumer could pressure the administration for - and actually, ya know, use his influence as floor leader.

I'm not surprised. While it's a nice thing, the big bill has both more overall work done on it and Biden wants it out immediately to fast track giving money for vaccinations and schools and whatnot. Anything that holds up that is probably a secondary concern. 

1 minute ago, KalbearAnon said:

Anything that holds up that is probably a secondary concern. 

I'm inclined to agree - with the strategy as well - except the inclusion of the minimum wage hike is confounding.  I guess maybe as something to "give up," but that seems pretty silly.

17 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Just read that Lou Dobbs got shitcanned, and I laaaaaaaauuuughed

I gotta assume this relates to legal exposure over the voting system lawsuit. No other reason they'd fire him. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I'm inclined to agree - with the strategy as well - except the inclusion of the minimum wage hike is confounding.  I guess maybe as something to "give up," but that seems pretty silly.

I'm not sure if you saw this quote before you wrote your comment, but if not, slam dunk:

President Joe Biden conceded that he does not believe he will be able to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour through his $1.9 trillion Covid-19 relief proposal due to the Senate's rules.

"I put it in, but I don't think it's going to survive," Biden told "CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell" in excerpts of an interview that aired Friday. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/05/politics/biden-minimum-wage-covid-proposal/index.html

1 minute ago, Fez said:

I gotta assume this relates to legal exposure over the voting system lawsuit. No other reason they'd fire him. 

The article I read said that even though Fox viewership is down, Dobbs had the biggest numbers. So yeah, hard to imagine it being anything else.  

7 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

The article I read said that even though Fox viewership is down, Dobbs had the biggest numbers. So yeah, hard to imagine it being anything else.  

*on Fox Business channel. Easier to cut ties than their main primetime bloc on the mothership. 

20 hours ago, SFDanny said:

Ahh ... Pelosi was right. Blitzer was carrying water for Trump and the "problem solver" caucus. 

I've had many disagreements with Pelosi over the years (not that she would listen to me) but I respect her. Because she is old doesn't mean she isn't a fighter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/photo-of-pelosi-meeting-with-trump-becomes-new-powerful-symbol-of-their-power-struggle-71512645789

I disagree--Blitzer was asking the questions a lot of us were feeling: why are you playing politics when we're suffering? At the time, it really felt like she did this because she didn't want Trump sending out more checks with his name on it because of the election. Instead of explaining it, she got defensive. About 5 or 6 minutes into the clip, she begins to explain the issues, but how many people had tuned out by then? How easily was did she create terrible soundbites for the right wing media? That's important, because Biden was courting the right wing. 

Because Blitzer was asking questions a lot of us (who are not Trumpers) were feeling, when she talked down to him, she talked down to everyone who had that question. I can tell you, this last year has been terrible for me and a lot like me. Everything like I saw in that linked video communicated that those in charge don't give a shit about us. True or not, that's how she projects herself.

4 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

About 5 or 6 minutes into the clip, she begins to explain the issues, but how many people had tuned out by then?

And who is that on then?

That's important, because Biden was courting the right wing. 

Really dude......

From Sept: America's 1% Has Taken $50 Trillion From the Bottom 90% | Time

I think about this any time people try to tell me that the leaders of the Democratic party (like Pelosi) have done anything to help people in this country. It's only gotten worse under their so-called wisdom. 

5 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I disagree--Blitzer was asking the questions a lot of us were feeling: why are you playing politics when we're suffering? At the time, it really felt like she did this because she didn't want Trump sending out more checks with his name on it because of the election. Instead of explaining it, she got defensive. About 5 or 6 minutes into the clip, she begins to explain the issues, but how many people had tuned out by then? How easily was did she create terrible soundbites for the right wing media? That's important, because Biden was courting the right wing. 

Because Blitzer was asking questions a lot of us (who are not Trumpers) were feeling, when she talked down to him, she talked down to everyone who had that question. I can tell you, this last year has been terrible for me and a lot like me. Everything like I saw in that linked video communicated that those in charge don't give a shit about us. True or not, that's how she projects herself.

Wolf Blitzer -- not the best at asking questions ...

5 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

It doesn't matter who it is on--it's the reality that she sabotaged the message. And Biden literally had right wingers like Kasich speak at the national convention--yeah, really dude.

If you tune in to a an interview and can't be bothered to watch the whole thing to make a judgement of it, yeah, that's on the viewer.

And Kasich is far from a right winger these days. If I was running I would have sought his endorsement too given the context of 2020 election. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

If you tune in to a an interview and can't be bothered to watch the whole thing to make a judgement of it, yeah, that's on the viewer.

And Kasich is far from a right winger these days. If I was running I would have sought his endorsement too given the context of 2020 election. 

This shall not PASS!

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/21/ohio-gov-john-kasich-signs-one-nations-most-restrictive-abortion-bans-vetoes-heartbeat-bill/2366674002/

Yes he definitely is. He's just an old school piece of shit republican instead a Neo-Qrazie Republican.

1 minute ago, Week said:

This shall not PASS!

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/21/ohio-gov-john-kasich-signs-one-nations-most-restrictive-abortion-bans-vetoes-heartbeat-bill/2366674002/

Yes he definitely is. He's just an old school piece of shit republican instead a Neo-Qrazie Republican.

At this point, right winger is defending a person who supported killing her coworkers. Look, I'm not defending his views, most of which are repugnant, but he's at least sane and willing to stand up to his former party. 

Archived